Closed Thread
    Completely adorable =) gsbennett's Avatar
    Texas by way of military. California is my home.

Turning off phone

Hi there,

I was wondering is there a way to completely turn off the phone? I understand I can turn off the phone via flight mode however, when I hit the power button, the backlight goes away but my today screen seems to stay on the screen.

I would like to completely shut down the PDA and phone during times that I am in class.

(I unsuccessfully tried to do a search, so I apologize if this was discussed earlier and I didnt use the correct buzz words)

Thank you for your assistance.

Gayle
    by the way i have the verizon 6600 with camera. if that makes a difference.

Turning flight mode on, bluetooth off, and "tapping" the power button should be the ticket. I do it every night to prevent from having a dead battery in the AM. Works like a charm.
    Phone: Treo 700w
    History: XV6600 -> Treo 700w -> XV6800 -> Treo 700w again.

"the backlight goes away but my today screen seems to stay on the screen."

Yes, if you hold the power button too long, it turns off the backlight. As MajesticNJ said, a quick tap is all you need to turn the PDA 'off'.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

Completely adorable =) gsbennett's Avatar
    Texas by way of military. California is my home.

thanks

Thanks so much =) I really appreciate your help.

How to power off the XV6600?

Im not sure if this has been discussed before but i couldnt find it in the search...

How do i power off my PPC? When i hit the power button on the top it puts turns the screen off and when i hold it down it toggles the screen backlight on and off. How do i get the phone to actually turn off?

Click on the signal strength meter at the top of the screen. Select "turn on flight mode", then hit the power button to shut down the pda...

and it would be safe to swap batteries this way?

Flight mode on, power button is what I would do when swapping batteries.

There may be some problems with some units having a hard reset, whenever the battery is removed. (may be due to 3rd party batteries, may be not)

Backup Early, Backup Often.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

At first I would soft reset by taking the battery off when it got hung. Untill after the 10th + time when it hard reset on me. THen I just used the pocker technique So one never knows exactly when it will hard resets on you on a battery swap, cause mine is all OEM. Just back up often, get to know your ppc6600 to the point of rebuilding it in 30 minutes and under and hope it doesn't happen to you when you need it most!
    Check out my iAdviseMe (IT Advisories), i9erNews (49er news), iGreen (Green News) or my iGossip (celeb News) Apps at: http://www.iadvise.me/

what happens when it hard resets? does everything get erased? what if u always have a back up on an SD card.. can u just load that when it hard resets and erases everything?

So basically there is no real way to actually have the unit completely off without pulling the battery out?

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!

E
    edited
    Last edited by equus; 05-01-2005 at 10:53 PM.

Wow Ehud... is that how you treat your new comers? It suprises me that someone like yourself acts like an immature "e-thug". Does name calling make you cool or boost your ego? Must be the highlight of your day huh?

First of all... you dont know me and i dont know you so where did you get off acting like a moron yourself? I appreciate how you sat there to try and figure out what my name is... shows the interest you have in me....

Originally posted by Ehud
    oh wow, jokes about names.

That's like kindergarten humor.
    Except my name's real. Yours is an epithet.

> It surprises me

You get surprised? You're ephyouckay. That means you should ephyouckay yourself.
    Kindegarten humor eh? hmmm... sure seems like you belong there. I also really like the "Oh, what happens when you shove your... oh, nevermind" har har haaaarr... shows how mature you are. Im sorry ehud for not being smart and cool like you. Please teach me oh smart and cool one.

btw, you can post all the "**** talking" you want... i can careless... i just think its funny you take the time out of your sorry life to post about me... thanks buddy!!
    Last edited by ephyouckay; 05-01-2005 at 11:46 AM.

Damn Ehud, goin off on people's names? There's really no need for that. So his name seems immature. Some people don't like signing into boards with anything other than a Joke. On some Boards I am JoeMamma. So what? He wasn't doing anything too n00bish, I'd say here is where I ask you to lay off. You might scare off people who actually have something to add/ask.

Anyway back to the discussion.

The default xbackup, if you do it to your SD card should be able to restore without doing anything. Seems like all of us on the board who reset alot, use sprite backup. You can create a executable on your SD card that self extracts. It also is a lot faster than xbackup.

Hard reset sends it back to factory install. Its not too bad.

Completely off? With flight mode on, and the screen off, the unit is as off as its gonna get. I do not recommend keeping the battery out. You will drain the backup battery in about 20 minutes if you keep the main battery out.
    Last edited by IvanLasston; 05-01-2005 at 01:13 PM.

Administrator
    ok thanks to immaturity in this thread its now closed...

How to turn off the phone???

My father have a PPC 6600 and it give it to me because is to complicated for him, I whant to used for my car as a GPS and Music player, how can I turn off the cellphone off all the time? I tried TURN ON FLIGHT MODE ON, but everytime I reset the unti it comes normal again. I whant to save battery power and because is not in service no more the phone keeps loking for signal wich means more waste of the battery.

Is there any form to remove the radio and install the wifi radio?
    just wondering

you cannot turn it off unless you want to remove the battery (not recommended), since it doesn't have any service, just turn the flight mode.

and i recommend getting a v2/3 lion battery.
    Telus PPC-6600/3550mah/Ambicom SD-Wifi/BT-338/Mapopolis 4.6/HS-810/805 on Supertalk 15 Plan

Flightmode should stay on even if you reset it. We are talking about soft resets no?

Try a hard reset, then see if still starts up the radio with a soft reset. Sometimes installed software causes problems.

I was never here. Disgruntledtech's Avatar
    just hold down the end key until the phone turns off -about 5-6 seconds
    Create DialPad Skins for your 6600 with SkinGen

ON my device (XV6600), Flight Mode disables the BT radio as well. Bear this in mind before you buy a GPS unit to use with this handset. You will have to find a hardwired unit to utilize with the radios off on the handset. A better solution might be to purchase the lighter power cord for the handset and leave the radios on during navigation use. Then any BT enabled GPS unit should work fine.

HTH,

Bob Duckworth
    My cellphone is smarter than your honor student.