+ Reply to Thread

Connecting to a modem at work

Has anyone had any luck using the Sprint 6601 to connect to a modem with a terminal program?

I have been using various terminal programs (zterm, vxHpc, Powerterm) to try to connect using the cellular line as a modem without success. Each program just gives me a "destination unreachable" error message. While at work I notice that the office phone/modem does not even ring.

I called vxHpc support and he was able to get on using his Tmobile phone. He suggested I call Sprint but Sprint support simply said they don't support other people's software.

Any ideas? The computer I dial into runs Unix so any sort of PC Anywhere type of solution wouldn't work.

I am able to dial in using Powerterm on my PC with no problem.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help!

Re: Connecting to a modem at work

Originally posted by Eyedoctor2
    Has anyone had any luck using the Sprint 6601 to connect to a modem with a terminal program?

I have been using various terminal programs (zterm, vxHpc, Powerterm) to try to connect using the cellular line as a modem without success. Each program just gives me a "destination unreachable" error message. While at work I notice that the office phone/modem does not even ring.

I called vxHpc support and he was able to get on using his Tmobile phone. He suggested I call Sprint but Sprint support simply said they don't support other people's software.

Any ideas? The computer I dial into runs Unix so any sort of PC Anywhere type of solution wouldn't work.

I am able to dial in using Powerterm on my PC with no problem.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help!
    You may find you need to connect to the net before any terminal programs will work. Unlike IE or messaging, which will spawn a network connection, it seems many 3rd party apps won't.

You try firing up IE and cruising to a webpage first?

btf

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings...

I am 99% sure that you cannot accomplish this with the 6600. From prior research on this issue, apparently when Sprint moved to 1xRTT they removed (either by choice or by necessity, not sure) the ability for the phone to act as a modem... meaning no more using it to fax or dial up to analog modems.

If you still need that functionality with Sprint, I believe your only option is to buy an old 2G handset with "wireless web" as opposed to Vision. Wireless web was circuit-switched (unlike Vision which is packet switched) and thus those handsets should still be able to function as a modem.

Sorry, I know that's not a real solution, but that's the only way I know of. Modems are quickly going the way of the dodo. Can you connect the UNIX box to the net? If so, you could telnet in.

Dan

I am trying to dial in directly to the office computer modem rather than through the internet.

If I dial in to the Sprint network then the cellular line would be unavailable to dial into my work modem.

Each of the programs I mentioned previously (eg Zterm) are terminal emulation programs which act as if they were terminals on my office's server.

Using my PC I simply dial into the office modem and connect just as if I were there.

I was hoping I could do the same with my Pocket PC, especially since the software exists.

Thanks!

Dan,

I am sorry to hear that I won't be able to get this to work but glad for an explanation. Thanks!

I have put several hours of effort with various terminal programs in to no avail. It's good to be able to put this behind me if indeed it is impossible with this phone.

Other than this, I have been very happy with Sprint and with the 6601.

Thanks again!