+ Reply to Thread

XV6600 -- Stable?

I've been spending the last couple of weeks researching a successor for my Kyo 7135. At first, I thought the natural fit would be a Treo 650, but between the lack of Verizon support for it, yet, and widespread reports of flakiness, I started looking further afield.

So far, reading up on the XV6600, the main complaints (especially post-ROM-upgrade) appear to be about volume issues. And at least some of these (BT related) seem to be fixed by the ROM upgrade.

My main question is: am I missing something, or is this thing actually stable -- as in, not needing to be reset constantly, not locking up at odd moments, consistently picking up calls...you know, the kinds of things you expect a phone to do ? Or is it just that people who buy Windows devices expect instability and don't bother talking about it much?

(Yes, I'm a bit anti-MS; I'm considering this phone anyway, but I want to know it's solid before I blow $500+ on it).

I find it to be very stable, and I mess with it constantly. I think the only across the board significant issue is the volume. For me, the volume is acceptable--only issue is using it in loud enviroments.
    Jeremiah 29:11

It's been solid for me. I've occasionally had to soft reset it due to an odd 'unable to complete your call as dialed' issue, but only a couple of times in almost three months.

The only real complaint I have is with the volume. Across the board...ringers, speakerphone, earpiece volume, Bluetooth. Don't get me wrong, the volume is 'adequate' for me, but only if I have it turned up to max. I'd feel much more comfortable if it was 'adequate' at the 1/2 to 2/3rds volume setting.

Considering it's capability, potential and relative stability, I don't know of anything else on the market that would work better for me. Regards. -Jay

I have had the xv6600 now for about 5 weeks and, after upgrading the Blue Tooth have been very pleased with it. I too was waiting for the 650 from VZW but, when introduced to the xv6600 quit waiting. I like the bigger screen, the slide out keyboard and the interface for my e-mail etc. I have had to soft boot a couple of times on a lock up but no more than any other I have owned.

As for volume, I was able to download several LOUD ringtones from this board and have had no problems hearing my ring.
    Motorola Q

Agreed, I have had zero stability issues. To solve the volume problem I uploaded the loud ringtones that I found right on this forum, I love the loud Austin Powers one. Also for the volume issue, I just hit the speakerphone whenever I need to listen to a call in a noisy environment. I love the phone but I find myself not using the keyboard much.

I am also a former Kyocera 7135 phone (in fact keep it activated on another line) and thought the 7135 was a great product with which I had nearly zero problems, and I'm a heavy phone and data user.

Below is my long answer but in a nut-shell, the xv6600 with camera is, for me a a business user, very ready for prime time, stable, and a joy to use. The early problems with this phone are not evident in the latest one that I have. I did not need to do a ROM upgrade, it was shipped working well in every respect.

I have the xv6600 with camera and it seems to ship with the latest ROM and possibly some hardware improvements but I'm guessing at that. The phone I have is very stable, the phone quality is actually excellent and competes with the excellent phone quality of the 7135, and the collection of features with EVDO is awesome. If you search under my ID ericgr you can see my posts and tips. I use the HBH-660 which I bought on ebay from dans-cellular and it works very well with the unit.

In defense of some of the past complaints on the unit, I will say that when I tested the demo unit in the Verizon store I noted volume issues and several other things. But my phone has NONE of them. The volume is excellent (ringer, what they hear from me, what I hear from them in calls). If you want to wake-up the entire house you can download oldringerL, see my previous post on tips.

Originally posted by XRay
    It's been solid for me. I've occasionally had to soft reset it due to an odd 'unable to complete your call as dialed' issue, but only a couple of times in almost three months.

I, too have had this particular problem and after puzzling over it for a while, it seems to me to only happen if I end a call and try quickly to initiate an outbound call. I've also noticed that my BT headset will "unpair" occasionally when I do this.

Unfortunately, I'm not bright enough to remember this consistently, so I will like continue to suffer with this problem.

Good Luck,

Bob Duckworth

Coming from a 7135? You'll find it VERY stable! I have my occasional manual soft resets but those are initated by me and not because it crashed.

These are WINDOWS systems so I'm figuring that I need to soft reset to clear up sluggishness as I reboot on my laptop.
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135

I think it's stable. Occasionally, it hicups and you have to do a soft reset but it is by far less than any other Pocket PC or Palm device I ever owned.
    walti

Originally posted by Beryl
    Coming from a 7135? You'll find it VERY stable!
    Heh. Actually, I've found my 7135 to be fairly stable...for a time. My first one took nine months before starting to flake out as a PDA (frequent crashes that lost data); my second one (Verizon replaced it without a complaint) took about six months before it started to flake out as a phone (the infamous SRCP problem). The third one's been with me about a month and has flaked out only twice, both when I was making heavy use of data apps (which is relatively new for me).

It's that heavy-use-of-data-apps thing that's making me consider switching, tho'. That didn't used to be a big deal for me, but it's becoming something I'd like to be able to use reliably.

You seem to have bad phone kharma and therefore you will have problems with any of your future phones

I am just kidding, it is probably just luck of the draw but I'll ramble on this anyway...

I never understood it, I had one 7135 replaced under warranty when the touch screen went bad and that was it, 24 hours. Other than that it was rock-stable and I had a great browser, mobirus (used to be called xiino or something) and snappermail for mail.

It may just be luck of the draw but if it's kharma or touch, here are a few random thoughts about success with these things which may not relate to anything in the end but I tried. I don't run flaky apps on my phones, if the app isn't strong I get it off. Maybe that had something to do with it. Also that SRCP thing I never had but it looked like a battery problem, I would have changed-out the battery. ANyway, that's off-topic except that you need to think positive and take rational moves with any of these devices when you own them and I'm not saying you didn't at all, but there is some kind of kharma that surrounds success or failure with these high-end things I'm convinced. I don't know what it is-- making sure you terminate data calls when you're done, disabling things you don't need, etc. Not loading tons of unstable unused software. Keeping the screen clean without damaging the little sensors on there buy not jamming dirt in there, I don't know. I don't have a long list of them but I think there is a zen to it for any of this more advanced stuff.
    Last edited by ericgr; 03-24-2005 at 02:39 PM.

Thumbs up

I have had mine since Jan 18th and it has been very stable. With the ROM upgrade all my BT woes (using the HS820) went away. I find that I don't use the keyboard as much as I thought I would, but do use it some. My wife has a company supplied Blackberry and she remains quite jealous of the XV 6600.

Baddest Smartphone around in my book and with "loudened" ringers I have no complaints.

Tom
    TOM
    VZW XV6600
    Do not meddle in the affairs of sysadmins, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

Originally posted by ericgr
    You seem to have bad phone kharma and therefore you will have problems with any of your future phones
    The thought has occurred to me

I've never quite figured out why I had the first set of issues. I really hardly have any additional software on my 7135 beyond the stock loadout -- just some mp3 ringers. And removing what little I did have at the time didn't clear up the problem. The crashes frequently cause the phone to forget everything it knew and require a resync, which had the sole benefit of getting me to sync up changes to my laptop more often!

I could never for the life of me figure out how the SRCP thing could possibly have anything to do with the battery! At any rate, I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit it didn't occur to me to search the various forums for others who might be having the problem until after I'd already asked Verzion to swap the phone again. If VZW had given me any guff, I probably would have turned to the 'net for assistance, but since VZW came through for me, I didn't even realise it was a common problem until the exchange was already in train.

From what I could see, someone pointed out that when they removed the battery but kept the 7135 plugged-in, the service SRCP or whatever it is when away. I have had no problems with the xv6600 so it's off topic but I'd like to point out that if a phone starts to act-up, check battery terminals and the battery. I know on the 7135 they did have a battery recall at one point. Also keep the phones out of moisture/moisture areas, don't leave 'em in cold or very hot cars-- basically honor thy toy I saw elsewhere you're a technical person so I bet you do all those things. But anyway, I wish you the best of luck on the xv6600, keep a good kharma 'tude when you get it, stay loose, if an application is flaky get it off of there (actually the phonelarm current release fits that referring back to my past post), if you clean the screen do it with a very soft cloth and don't press anything into the sides (that's where the touch screen sensors are I believe in these designs, shoots across the surface), no cleaners on the phone no liquids. OK, I'll get-off the soap box, did want to try to be helpful ..

I'd already swapped my battery in the battery recall, so I know that, at least was not the problem. I could kind-of see where, if the battery terminals were somehow not conducting well, the battery might nto be providing enough power, but I would expect that kind of thing to make the whole device go wonky, and it didn't. It just affected the radio, from what I could see.

I'm not always fantastic about 'honouring my toy', but I've been better about it lately, and if I'm going to shell out $600 or so, I'm going to be a bit more careful!

Converged
    I too have migrated from the 7135 to the XV6600. I have had it about a week an so far it's great. Still getting use to MS OS.

I did love my 7135 but I went thru 4 of them in 2 years. If you replaced your 7135 more than 3 times Verizon will give you a free i600, i700 or Treo 600. I don't think they publise this, but any Verizon phone that dies three times they will replace. I was able to get Verizon to credit me the retail cost of the TREO and buy the XV6600, so my out of pocket was less than $300.

I have ordered a 2200 battery. I always worried and had to curtail my phone usage/PDA usage with the 7135 when I was traveling.

There is still alot of questions/functions on MS OS that I need to figure out. I will take some time.
    The Kyocera 7135 was great. The XV6600 was even better. So far the 8525 is pretty damn cool...
    But I wish for the features of an 8525 with a 3.5" screen, that would be awesome.

I thought of just waiting 'til the 7135 died on me a third time (or until my New Every 2 boundary), but once I started researching what was current, the bug kinda bit me.

I want to thank everyone for their comments -- here and elsewhere. I placed an order this very evening. Your comments not only helped me make my decision, but may have helped the salesman make a second sale, eventually. There was another gentleman in looking at the possibility (but not ready to buy) when I got there, and I pointed him, and the salesman, at this site!

It should arrive Saturday morning, giving me just enough to charge it and sync it up (grabbing PocketMac shortly) before I leave for a week's trip. I'll probably post my experiences with the new critter during the week.