+ Reply to Thread

PPC 6600 Locking on Incoming Call

I've had the PPC 6600 for a month now. Sometimes, maybe once every couple of days the phone freezes when receiving an incoming call and requires a soft reset.

Anyone out there experiencing this problem? The phone freezes just as the call comes in and does not allow you to accept it or start the conversation.

Any help would be appreciated. Other then this inconvenience the device has been great!

Mine does the exact same thing. It usually does it when I have the data connection on (even though it is dormant). I'd like to see a resolution to this as well, maybe it'll be addressed in an upcoming rom.

So my only problem is that when I put "MUTE" it doesn't stop making sounds at all. My GF almost kicked my ass last night cause my PPC kept alerting for mail!

Am I missing something?
    Check out my iAdviseMe (IT Advisories), i9erNews (49er news), iGreen (Green News) or my iGossip (celeb News) Apps at: http://www.iadvise.me/

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Mute means unable to speak. It turns the microphone off.

Deaf means unable to hear. There is no "Deaf" button. Instead there's a volume control with an "off" button.

Ehud

I don't think mine is related to the data connection. I don't have anything using data automatically and close the data connection and internet explorer after I use it by going into the memory setting and stopping the program. I do use a couple other programs for keeping passwords and something else which I think may be related to the problem. So I have made sure all programs that I am not using are closed for the last couple days and I have had success. I'll report whether that permanently fixes the problem.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Cool. Can you also tell us whether the data-connection-active indicator is on, and whether you use the active-sync feature?

A lot of times it would appear that there's no reason for data to be up (at all) and yet, there it is. There's no way to tell if it's dormant or not without attempting a call... and if it fails... yo know.

Ehud

I do use the activesync feature through bluetooth with my laptop. I had noticed initially that activesync would always be running and started even after I closed it and did not re-sync and had bluetooth on the phone off. Its like there was an automatic process that started it when I never used it. Now it doesn't seem to be running in memory at random times. Anyway back to the point. From what I can tell the data indicator (i presume you are talking about the gray dormant one) was never on when the calls would freeze. I will pay closer attention now.

I have never had a outgoing call fail on me. I also use the 'disconnect' registry hack and that seems to kill the data connection cleanly.

The worst is when you press the "blind" button!
    =)

Originally posted by Ehud
    Mute means unable to speak. It turns the microphone off.

Deaf means unable to hear. There is no "Deaf" button. Instead there's a volume control with an "off" button.

Ehud

There's a thread on Treocentral called "Have you named your Treo?" The last answer was "I named mine Soft Reset. I just love this thing."

It shows me how loyal and dumb many Treo owners are. Their Treo could make them look foolish but they still "LOVE IT."

Hmm. I could never say that about anything none human.

Btw, when I had a Treo 650 I called it "Runaway sneezer." cuz that thing had an allergy to normal behavior

This problem only just started happening to me in the past few days - I am trying to figure out what software I may have added to make it start doing this...

Phone lock is on as usual, it will ring, I'll tap the answer button on my bluetooth, and sometimes I will hear white noise in the headset and nobody is there, I'll press a button on the phone and will see the alert bubble that "so and so" is calling, I'll click the answer button and nothing happens, keeps ringing and wont respond. Finally I have to reset and call the person back.
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16

Sorry guys, my MUTE post above was about another app, not this problem.
    Check out my iAdviseMe (IT Advisories), i9erNews (49er news), iGreen (Green News) or my iGossip (celeb News) Apps at: http://www.iadvise.me/

The past few days I haven't had the locking problem as I've been making sure to close a program that it is not being used. While this is a good sign that I may have found the source of a problem this is also a bad sign.

If we have to depend on the fact that every software vendor for pocket PC applications put out good applications with no bugs then we are only kidding ourselves. Moreover most of these people developing pocket PC apps don't even think their apps are being used on a converged device (phone/pda).

Microsoft should find a solution to this, but if you leave things up to them in the end they won't work right.

Will continue to try keeping the memory of loaded applications clean and see if I see the problem again this week.

Originally posted by treyy
    The past few days I haven't had the locking problem as I've been making sure to close a program that it is not being used. While this is a good sign that I may have found the source of a problem this is also a bad sign.

If we have to depend on the fact that every software vendor for pocket PC applications put out good applications with no bugs then we are only kidding ourselves. Moreover most of these people developing pocket PC apps don't even think their apps are being used on a converged device (phone/pda).

Microsoft should find a solution to this, but if you leave things up to them in the end they won't work right.

Will continue to try keeping the memory of loaded applications clean and see if I see the problem again this week.
    I hear you... I feel like the current state of Windows CE is similar to Windows 98 on desktop machines... one unstable program can bring the whole thing crashing down. MS smartly realized that the NT kernel was the way to go, and now Windows is remarkably stable. Even if one rogue app has a problem, most of the time it's just a matter of ending that app... all other apps (and Windows itself) continue to work fine. The sad thing is that MS developed NT over ten years ago... why they haven't engineered that kind of stability into CE I don't know. Hopefully they're working on it.

Dan