+ Reply to Thread

moving from treo650 to ppc660x... maybe?

ok i know this is a very popular subject and i have read through lots of threads on it (unfortunately too many biased ones on treocentral ) however i have some questions that i haven't see answered.

a little bit of background: i finally had it with danger's amazingly unreliable service so i sold off my sidekick 2 when i found a buyer last week. say what you will about sk2, it's a GREAT mobile communication device, with an excellent keyboard and mobility/phone features. too bad it needs a back-end service; your connectivity is not only is at the mercy of your wireless provider, but also the backend server. the latter seemed to have become more and more unreliable, and since sk2 is basically a mobile device with very little other applications, it has been a useless brick in the past weeks majority of the time.

so i got a treo 650 from sprint last week and was shocked at how little has changed since ... PalmPilot 5000. Not to digress further (but i'll elaborate if anyone's interested), i'm at the point where i need something that sucks less. hopefully far less. The HTC Universal seems like exactly what i want but i need something now.

onto the questions

1) i'd be doing a lot of typing so a keyboard has been an absolute requirement for me with these mobile devices. opinions here seem to be that 660x's isn't as good as 650's but usable. what about durability? i read that the slider can get loose after a while; would a case solve this?

2) i got a dell axim x50v at work earlier this week and was quite impressed by the OS. how well does the multitasking aspect of it work? for example, if switch form pocketputty to answer IMs, would my SSH connection(s) die? i wouldn't be opening lotsa apps at once but will definitely want the freedom to have many IM sessions, SSH, web, rdp connections and swithcing between them without closing any (discounting signal drop, of course). that's been one huge adjustment for me on 650...

3) is phone quality with an earpiece good/acceptable? i see some complaints about this but i'll probably only use it with an earpiece.

4) does 660x's BT do PAN and other types of file/app sharing? if so not having wifi (on sprint's) wouldn't be a big deal at all. as people have already mentioned, why needing wifi when connectivity is already everywhere (though EVDO would be nice...)

5) does it display unicode? i couldn't get that to work on Axim (didn't try too hard ... need a keyboard!!) more specifically, it'd be nice to have chinese and other asian language supports but not a deal breaker (yes SK2 can do that). i don't need IME but being able to read them would be great.

that's all i have for now. thanks for any help.

Re: moving from treo650 to ppc660x... maybe?

Originally posted by scrungew00t
    1) i'd be doing a lot of typing so a keyboard has been an absolute requirement for me with these mobile devices. opinions here seem to be that 660x's isn't as good as 650's but usable. what about durability? i read that the slider can get loose after a while; would a case solve this?
    The built in keyboard is usable. If you need more, get a BT stowaway keboard.

2) i got a dell axim x50v at work earlier this week and was quite impressed by the OS. how well does the multitasking aspect of it work? for example, if switch form pocketputty to answer IMs, would my SSH connection(s) die? i wouldn't be opening lotsa apps at once but will definitely want the freedom to have many IM sessions, SSH, web, rdp connections and swithcing between them without closing any (discounting signal drop, of course). that's been one huge adjustment for me on 650...
    I think the x50 as a faster proc, but the PPS does pretty well. Multiple connections won't be much of problem, except data and voice concurrently. You will notice a performance degradation...and wo EVDO it will be slow!! Let's keep praying for Sprint to get off their a$$e$ and get EVDO rolled out!

3) is phone quality with an earpiece good/acceptable? i see some complaints about this but i'll probably only use it with an earpiece.
    Phone quality if great, if needed, do a search for loud ringers. Both wired and wireless earpieces have been used successfully (Well, most wireless, check out the BT Poll Sticky)

4) does 660x's BT do PAN and other types of file/app sharing? if so not having wifi (on sprint's) wouldn't be a big deal at all. as people have already mentioned, why needing wifi when connectivity is already everywhere (though EVDO would be nice...)

5) does it display unicode? i couldn't get that to work on Axim (didn't try too hard ... need a keyboard!!) more specifically, it'd be nice to have chinese and other asian language supports but not a deal breaker (yes SK2 can do that). i don't need IME but being able to read them would be great.
    I'll leave the last 2 to the more knowledgeable on the board.

But if ask if you should switch...ABSOLUTELY!
    PPC6600
    HBH-660