+ Reply to Thread

exchange server 2000- instant messenging

hello,

the company i work for has an internal instant messenge setup through exchange server 2000. we published the domain name online so that it can be accessed through and email address (xxxxx@im.xxxxxx.com) and its not working, msn messenger on the phone is saying that a vpn network needs to be setup. shouldnt the phone just use the built in internet (#777) to access my instant messenging? any tips? thanks

Are you saying you can't IM a user on that domain, or that a user can't log into the Exchange IM Server from 'the internet'?

I think publishing the @im.xxxxx.com only allows poeple to IM that account. Logging into the IM Server is another matter.

Can you elaborate a bit on what you meant by 'Publish'?
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

sure, and thanks for the response.

basically, all employees inside the office can im each other, not to anyone that has a regular msn messenger name, thats the current setup and thats OK we want to keep it that way to avoid any wasted time chatting about personal matters, etc.

i would like to have my ppc6600 get in on this same network so that i can im these employees and when they im me it goes to my phone, just like it currently goes to my desktop. we have a warehouse and im away from my desk often so this would be handy.

esp considering that the msn messenger seems to be designed to work through msn and/or your exchange server i thought that this would be a piece of cake, but when is it ever? lol

Think about it for a second...

Your phone has an IP address assigned off your carriers network. Your desktop PC has an IP assigned on the local network.

In order for what you are describing to work, your exchange server must be reachable from the Internet at large, and more specifically, from the carriers network.

I had, at one time, IM set up on my IPaq 5455 using the WiFi net at my workplace, however it would a) bump me off my desktop IM and b) break when the Exchange servers went to Exchange 2003 and the IM client remains unable to handle SIP IM conversations.

What saundo says sounds right. I don't have access to a Exchange 2000 Server to play around with, but if you configure your firewall to redirect the ports IM uses to the Exchange server, I don't see why it shouldn't work, unless the PPC client is somehow hard-coded to use a VPN. If that's the case, can you set up a MS VPN using Remote Access Services?
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

thats what messenger actually directs you to do, create a vpn. my IT guy (contracted, not in house, we are not that big) cannot figure out why it wants to setup a VPN. He stated that our server does not have any VPN setup and to do that would be extensive and not worth it just to accomidate two phones. Comments?