+ Reply to Thread
    blh

PPC-6600 as a 802.11b Gateway?

Does any know if you can use the PPC-6600 (Assume WiFi SD Card) as a Wifi gateway using Sprint/Verizon Internet connection? I would like to connect to the EV-DO network and then be able to use any Wifi capable laptop to surf using the 6600 as the gateway. I searched for internet connection sharing on pocket PC and found no helpful info. I know this is possible with the EV-DO PCMCIA cards running on XP. See this link for the XP method

http://www.evdoinfo.com/Tips/PC_5220...VDO_2005021759
    Last edited by blh; 05-03-2005 at 02:47 PM.

No I think we discovered this is not possible because the Pocket PC doesn't have internet connection sharing. Basically what you're wanting to do is have the 6600 act as a router and it just doesn't have the proper software to do that.

Dan

Edit: Instead, why don't you just tether the 6600 (via USB cable/cradle or Bluetooth) direct to the laptop. Then you can access the EV-DO/1xRTT network on your laptop.

blh
    OK, thats what I thought. Anybody know of any 3rd party software to enable internet connection sharing?

edit:I currently use USB but wireless is preferred. Bluetooth is my next step but I have read that the BT connection is not very reliable and the range is not as good.
    Last edited by blh; 05-03-2005 at 02:52 PM.

About the best I can think of right now, is to use a pda and a laptop w/ Wi-Fi.

My Bluetooth is built in!
    I dont think you will find any software to add ICS. I dont think the processor and operating system are up to it.

You can however share your internet connection with one computer at a time via the bluetooth DUN connection. I have found it to be very reliable. I have used it for hours at a time with no problems at all.
    PPC-6700, Treo 700wx, Samsung IP-i830w, Motorola i580, LG Fusic. Mix well, add accessories, consume.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    If you share it with a computer that has ICS then you're golden.

Code:
    SPRINT/VERIZON                LAN
      CDMA 2000       +-o---------------o-+
          |             |               |
         PPC          PC NIC        LAN PORT
        6600/1     PC W/ICS           ROUTER
          |            PC BT           WIFI 
     offer BT DUNS--bt--|               |
                                     offer wifi 
                                      service
    Edit: what a pain editing ASCII art
    E
    Last edited by Ehud; 05-03-2005 at 05:54 PM.

My Bluetooth is built in!
    Once he has it conected to his laptop this program might eliminate the need for a wireless AP.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1522642,00.asp
    PPC-6700, Treo 700wx, Samsung IP-i830w, Motorola i580, LG Fusic. Mix well, add accessories, consume.

Yes, but only if he has no wired PCs. The solution above provides a wired as well a wireless LAN.

Last I knew (3 yrs ago) CS has a 2-interface restriction. One is the NATed "inside" interface, and the other is the "outside" interface.

A PC with BT, NIC, and WiFi would have 3. BT Duns would obviously be Outside... and if you make WiFi the inside, then while other computers can talk to your PC, I don't think they can route through it and use ICS. I could be wrong. It's about 4 years since I used ICS.

Ehud

Total and Utter PocketPC NEWB
    WIFI + EVDO = 30 minute battery life

You can try and use a software gateway on the PC other than ICS, like WinGate. I used to use it to share an ISDN DUN connection. If you set up a DUN on the PC for the PPC, and share it, it should theoretically work. I don't know if this will still impose some limit if you use BT as the DUN connection.

There are probably some freeware options to WinGate out there as well, but I think it's 'free' as long as you have <3 concurrent connections to it.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

blh
    Originally posted by BryanHarig
    I dont think you will find any software to add ICS. I dont think the processor and operating system are up to it.

You can however share your internet connection with one computer at a time via the bluetooth DUN connection. I have found it to be very reliable. I have used it for hours at a time with no problems at all.
    Thanks, thats what I will try. I guess I will have to buy a BT adapter for my laptop. I only have WiFi built-in. I sure hope Sprint will allow EV-DO through the PPC-6600. Otherwise I will have to go with the PCMCIA solution and pay $80/mo. or switch to Verizon.

SPRINT has no way of blocking it.
    E

blh
    Originally posted by Ehud
    SPRINT has no way of blocking it.
    E
    Has anyone actually confirmed the PPC-6600 will get 200-500 downloads on Sprints EV-DO network yet? I read that the service is on in some cities but only worked with the PCMCIA EV-DO card.

That was answered explicitly by [not in] Dan's post from yesterday.

Ehud

blh
    That was answered explicitly by [not in] Dan's post from yesterday.

Ehud
    If you mean this post, then I do not see how that answers my question of the confirmation of 200-500 Download speed. If you meant another post then please point me in the right direction.
    I have seen VX6600 (verizon) confirmations but no PPC-6600 (sprint) confirmations.

Thanks.

Edit: Instead, why don't you just tether the 6600 (via USB cable/cradle or Bluetooth) direct to the laptop. Then you can access the EV-DO/1xRTT network on your laptop.

Your original question:
    Has anyone actually confirmed the PPC-6600 will get 200-500 downloads on Sprints EV-DO network yet?

Dan wrote:
    2. I did not have my laptop with me so I was not able to see what speeds I'd get by tethering.
    Nobody other than Dan has had EVDO on SPRINT phones, and therefore the answer is "No. Noone has confirmed it."

Ehud

blh
    Your original question:

Dan wrote:

Nobody other than Dan has had EVDO on SPRINT phones, and therefore the answer is "No. Noone has confirmed it."

Ehud
    Just read Dan's post about the hacked PPC-6600. I guess he proved it is working (in Kansas). Lets hope they roll it out soon. I might just return mine if they do not move forward soon and join Verizon.