+ Reply to Thread

Getting the PCC-6600 to work with laptop?

Ok, here's what's the problem. I have the PPC-6600, and a laptop along with the entire USB cord device gig. Now, I connect it, and AutoSync keep wanting to Sync when I connect it in the cradle, but when I try I use the WModem application on the 6600, and select USB in the option, it won't connect and says "Com port is not avalible (Com" Or something like that! I already tried the steps listed in here But no go on that, due to WModem.exe saying it's not a valid win32 application, on top of the fact with the device not showing up as a USB modem so I can't use the dialer application either. What's going wrong? ;_;
    SOMEONE HELP ME FIND ME EYEEEEEEEE!

So, have you gotten the laptop to recognize the phone as modem before? I have played around with this USB dial-up connection before and found it to be very qwirky and cumbersome to use. If your laptop has recognized your 660x once before as a modem, you will need to go into the control panel>"phone and modem options" (for XP OS)>select the modems tab. Then you will see the CDMA1x USB Modem. I found that I had to delete all of those modems before I ever physically attached my 660x into the cradle.

Since you say that activesync is wanting to sync with the laptop when you connect it, it tells me that yoiu have not properly disabled acivesync before you ahve placed the 660x into the cradle. The instructions you provided mentioned something about a "activesync disconnect program" I never ran this app. I did however open the activesync (without the 660x connected to the PC), clicked on file, selected connection settings, then unchecked the option that states "allow USB connection with this desktop computer." What this option does is it makes it so once your run the WModem app on your PPC (BEFORE you slip it into the cradle) your laptop will recognize your PPC as a modem. I think your error message is showing up because the activesync is usig the port that the WModem app is wanting to use.

So to recap, Step 1 make sure activesync is not active by either running the "activesync disconnect program" or do my option directly above. Step 2, besure that when you start the WModem app on your 660x your ppc is NOT connected to your laptop. Step 3 connect your 660x to the laptop via USB. you should see a bubble and the "new hardware found" show up on the lower right hand area on your task bar on your laptop. Then assuming your drivers are installed correctly on your PC you should have no problem running the dialer app on your desktop to dial out of the 660x to the internet.

In all honesty, this functionality was not built into the phone (IE USB modem connection). That is why it is so hard to setup and get running. It is a VERY unstable way to hop onto the internet via your 660x from what I have found. (IE Dropped connections etc.) In my experience, I have found the Bluetooth DUN (Dial up network) to be a MUCH more stable way to connect to the internet on your laptop via the 660x. The ONLY advantage to the USB connection vs the BT (Bluetooth) is that the USB (wired) does have a higher kbps possiblity. However the average speed of EVDO is anywher between 300-500kbps, in your case (Sprint I think) your average is something like 100-300kbps. Now keep in mind the max kbps for a BT DUN connection is something like 700kbps. So really you probably won't ever come close to exceeding the BT possible speed. In all actuality you really cannot see that much of a change in your webpage download speed on your laptop if you use the BT DUN.

So the short of it, screw the USB connection, buy a BT dongle for the laptop (I use the USB IOGear GBU311 $50) and surf the internet on your laptop using the BT DUN. I have not gone back to the USB connection since I got my dongle.....sounds gross....anyway hope this helps! Any more questions let me know!

Jake

Hey Jacob,
    Any good articles or guides on doing just that, using the bluetooth dial up networking?

Thanks,
    Tim

Since the 660x actually has the BT DUN profile loaded in it, the instructions that come with your USB BT (Bluetooth) Dongle should be more than adequate. It really is not all that difficult once you buy the BT Dongle. Good luck!

Yeah, mine works, but seems very unreliable. I get frequent disconnects.

I think the problem may stem from using the wireless sync feature, as the disconnect seems to coincide with the interval I have it set to check for new email.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    USB connections work just fine.

http://www.myehud.com/xv6600/usbmodem.html

Same here. USB connections work great, but would be nice to just use bluetooth for a quick connect, without using the cable.

Not a huge deal, but would be nice. Ill have to mess with it some more.

USB will be faster than Bluetooth. How noticeable that will be depends on what you are doing.
    Jeremiah 29:11

Thanks, jacobly31, that worked perfectly!

I have another question though, how can I use my killer stereo .8 MM jack headphones with my PDA, because the PDA has a tiny earphone jack? I already got an adapter that converts it to 3.5 MM, which converts it to the right size, but only goes Mono, 3/4 of the way in, gives stereo, so really, why is it doing this? o.O
    SOMEONE HELP ME FIND ME EYEEEEEEEE!

My Bluetooth is built in!
    many adapters do that. I got sick of using one.

I just had the stock headset modified by nexus on hofo. He added better quality earbuds (sony ex51) so it can be used for music while retaining the ability to be used as a headset.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...0&pagenumber=1
    PPC-6700, Treo 700wx, Samsung IP-i830w, Motorola i580, LG Fusic. Mix well, add accessories, consume.

I've had great success using the ppc as a modem, but I can no longer get the ppc to sync with my thinkpad via USB or IR. I don't know for sure that there's a cause/effect relationship here, but my activesync seemed to go on the fritz just when I was really using wmodem a lot.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

David

Hold everything. I did another search and found the answer in this forum: 'ACTIVESTINK 3.8 wont connect' ACTIVESTINK 3.8 wont connect. . Ehud is the master.

Thanks.

David