+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

TivoToGo and WMP10 on PPC

Tivo put out some new software today that allows transfer of Tivo files from the desktop to a PPC with WMP10. It's much, much faster than the workarounds some of us had been using. Unfortunately I'm having some problems with the synch - which I don't think are problems with Tivo, but rather problems with WMA10.

If anyone else has networked Tivo with TivoToGo and has loaded WMA10 onto your 6600, I'd like to hear what your experience has been. Thanks! - sheureka

Yeah! I got it to work! Very good video and sound, with very little trouble! - sheureka
    Last edited by sheureka; 05-03-2005 at 10:02 PM.

I have TiVo to Go and an XV6600, but have not loaded WMP 10 on my phone yet because of the potential problems WMP may cause.

Knowing I can transfer my TiVo shows to the phone however may make me take the plunge.

Any tips on making it work easily? Care to post the steps you took in making the transfer as painless as possible?

I'll look in to it myself and post my experiences.

Originally posted by jgriffithslaw
    I have TiVo to Go and an XV6600, but have not loaded WMP 10 on my phone yet because of the potential problems WMP may cause.
    I put WMP10 on my PPC6600 last week and then took it off because I thought it was creating some problems. Found out it was some other software that I was having trouble with, so I reloaded the WMP10 ROM. It's painless if you follow the instructions.

If you haven't downloaded the new Tivo desktop software, I'd definitely uninstall all the remnants of the old Tivo desktop (including the server) before installing the new software. I think that's what was making me have problems.

After that, it's really painless. Add your Tivo files to your WMP10 library on your computer, pick a file to synch, and then just leave it alone. It took about 1-1/2 hours for a 2-hour show, and 5,225MB went down to 315MB on the phone.

I'm really impressed - go for it! - sheureka

Originally posted by sheureka
    I put WMP10 on my PPC6600 last week and then took it off because I thought it was creating some problems. Found out it was some other software that I was having trouble with, so I reloaded the WMP10 ROM. It's painless if you follow the instructions.

If you haven't downloaded the new Tivo desktop software, I'd definitely uninstall all the remnants of the old Tivo desktop (including the server) before installing the new software. I think that's what was making me have problems.

After that, it's really painless. Add your Tivo files to your WMP10 library on your computer, pick a file to synch, and then just leave it alone. It took about 1-1/2 hours for a 2-hour show, and 5,225MB went down to 315MB on the phone.

I'm really impressed - go for it! - sheureka
    This sounds awesome! Any way to copy the files to a SD card via a card reader for quicker transfer rather than sync via active sync?
    Jeremiah 29:11

Originally posted by mwfielder
    This sounds awesome! Any way to copy the files to a SD card via a card reader for quicker transfer rather than sync via active sync?
    I doubt it - WMP is a requirement and the files are being converted as they're synching. Given that the conversion is part of the synch process I don't think it would be much faster even if it worked. - sheureka

I take it the WMP10 sync ability syncs any media you have for PPC WMP10 use, correct?

Where do you get WMP10 from? I can't find it for the 6600.
    :homer: Internet KING :homer:

Check out this site

http://www.myehud.com/xv6600/romupgrades.html

There is also a thread about the upgrade on the 6600 forum--I think it is called WMP10 upgrade.

Note that this is an unofficial upgrade---do it at your own risk. Most have done it without difficulty.

Originally posted by mwfielder
    I take it the WMP10 sync ability syncs any media you have for PPC WMP10 use, correct?
    I think so. But the nice thing about the new Tivo desktop (if you used the old one) is there is no more need for passwords. I think they had to get that worked out before the files could be synched (without all kinds of workarounds). - sheureka

Nice find Sheureka. Is this scenario possible?: My PPC is not attached to my desktop during the day/evening, only overnight. So can I have TIVO record a show during the time my PPC is not synced, then when I sync it for the night have it transfer that show while I am sleeping? This way I would not have to initiate anything, just plop my PPC in the cradle, and voila, upon awakening I would have my shows on my PPC.
    iPhone 3GS !!

Originally posted by SpineDoc
    Nice find Sheureka. Is this scenario possible?: My PPC is not attached to my desktop during the day/evening, only overnight. So can I have TIVO record a show during the time my PPC is not synced, then when I sync it for the night have it transfer that show while I am sleeping? This way I would not have to initiate anything, just plop my PPC in the cradle, and voila, upon awakening I would have my shows on my PPC.
    Oooh, I like that! But I think you have to manually force the sync (you would have to start the process, not just cradle the device). Does that sound right, sheureka?

I'm not sure I understand the question. I transfer the shows to my desktop whenever (usually at night, and move several at one time). I then pull whichever ones I want into my WMA10 library. Then when I go to bed I put the PPC on the cradle, start the synch and in the morning the files are on my PPC. Is that what you want to do?

I don't think there is any way to transfer the file to the desktop and synch to the PPC without some intervention if that's what you were thinking of. - sheureka
    Last edited by sheureka; 05-04-2005 at 01:53 PM.

Oh I see, I did not think you had to transfer from the TIVO to the desktop, then to the PPC. It seems like a bit of work and time involved. I thought it would be more intuitive, like when setting up a recording on the TIVO itself it would give the option to automatically transfer to desktop, then having the ability in the TIVO desktop software to automatically transfer the show to my PPC whenever it was synced.

Most of these TV on your desktop companies truly do not understand what it will take to break into the mass market. Does TIVO really think that Grandma, who cannot program her VCR to stop blinking, will really figure out how to manually transfer shows to her PC, and then again to a PDA? It really should be a one check box option in TIVO itself on the TV.
    iPhone 3GS !!

Does TIVO really think that Grandma, who cannot program her VCR to stop blinking, will really figure out how to manually transfer shows to her PC, and then again to a PDA?
    Watch out! I'm probably the only Grandma with a home network using Tivo and a PDA!

The TiVo desktop is actually a whole suite of applications running through a home network - including transfering programs from one Tivo to another, transfering programs to the desktop for burning to DVD, and viewing photos and streaming music through the Tivo. So this new version just adds a new function. - sheureka

When I first read Spine's post, I wondered how many Grandmas are even using Tivo, then I read sheureka's post!

My mom (my children's grandmother) can't even use the cell phone correctly, much less a pda or Tivo. When she babysits, she ends up just watching the last channel I had it on because she can't figure it out once the kids go to sleep. Good thing she likes baseball!

Lol guys, I just think of my mom. I set up a very nice PC for her years ago with DSL and email. I have never gotten an email from her!
    iPhone 3GS !!

Originally posted by sheureka
    Watch out! I'm probably the only Grandma with a home network using Tivo and a PDA!

The TiVo desktop is actually a whole suite of applications running through a home network - including transfering programs from one Tivo to another, transfering programs to the desktop for burning to DVD, and viewing photos and streaming music through the Tivo. So this new version just adds a new function. - sheureka
    You go, grandma!

My mom's gotten pretty good at the whole e-mail thing. She loves to get correspondence back so she sends a lot of e-mail... I'm pretty impressed actually... she's in her early 60s.

They have Dish Network at home, and after I got them swapped out to a DVR set top box she and my Dad are both hooked on recording stuff and watching it later so they can skip the commercials. They're no where near as advanced as you sheureka (they don't even have a cell phone anymore... ), but I think they're doing pretty good for people born in the 1940s.

Dan

Originally posted by luv2chill
    . . . but I think they're doing pretty good for people born in the 1940s. . .
    1940 here - and I know I've got more toys than any other grandma in Hutchinson, KS! - sheureka
    Last edited by sheureka; 05-04-2005 at 11:27 PM.

I have heard that the tivo with direct tv doesnt have the usb ports enabled, and was just wondering if anyone knew if this was true or not, and if so is there any other way to connect my tivo to my computer?

Originally posted by Gargamel1337
    I have heard that the tivo with direct tv doesnt have the usb ports enabled, and was just wondering if anyone knew if this was true or not, and if so is there any other way to connect my tivo to my computer?
    You heard right. You have to get the new TIVO systems as grandma described above.