+ Reply to Thread

ARRRGH!! Cracked Screen in Piel Frama Case.

I hate to have to write about this as I have gone with the best accessories etc. In the end, it all boils down to how careful you are with your phone. I had it in my shirt pocket in a piel frama case and bent down to pick some stuff up. You guessed it, the phone fell out of my pocket onto the floor with a "very minor" thud. I wouldn't even have opened it had it not been for a feeling in the pit of my stomach. Yup, my baby was beat up pretty bad with cracks extending from the bottom right all the way to the upper left.

Now, the great part of the story. I had the total equipment protection plan and called them up ASAP. They said a phone would be shipped within 3 days. Sure enough, got a replacement phone in 3 days. BUT it was a Treo 650, so had to call again and they sent a PPC within another 3 days. Overall, must admit the customer service is very good at Sprint. Everything is now a go and I just have to return the Treo and old PPC back to lock/line.

I am definitely not going to carry the phone loosely in my shirt pocket any more. Either it stays on a clip or in my pants pocket. Talk to you guys soon after the ROM upgrades.

OUch....... sorry to hear that........
    LAK
    Sprint 6800/Mogul
    6700, 6600

I would not suggest the pants pocket either.. I broke the screen twice with the Piel Frama.. I even reinforced the case with aluminum... I am waiting for this magnesium case from proporta

I currently use the flip EB case..
    m

http://www.proporta.com/F02/PPF02P05...070&t_mode=des

http://www.proporta.com/F03/i/XdaIIi...nesiumcase.jpg
    Last edited by mjaffe; 05-03-2005 at 09:19 PM.

Re: ARRRGH!! Cracked Screen in Piel Frama Case.

Originally posted by Twiga
    Sure enough, got a replacement phone in 3 days. BUT it was a Treo 650, so had to call again and they sent a PPC within another 3 days. Overall, must admit the customer service is very good at Sprint. Everything is now a go and I just have to return the Treo and old PPC back to lock/line.
    Good to hear that Lockline is recognizing that the Treo650 is not comparable to this device. I may just sign up for TEP now.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    i just don't understand anyone putting something like this, as heavy as this, in a shirt pocket. i just don't get it. maybe a suit jacket pocket. maybe. is everyone out of their mind?

I'll do it, but very rarely. However, I've got a friend with a Dell Axim X5 that keeps his in his shirt pocket ALL DAY LONG. To boot, he's working on the floor of a manufacturing facility. Taking his life into his hands, in my opinion.

Perhaps that's why I sold him my old Axim X5, so he'd have a backup when he inevitably messes his up.

i've dropped the phone a couple times from hip-height in the stock sprint case. nary a scratch, phone is fine.

i'm not sure why people don't like the stock case, i think it's great !

DLD

If I'm using that case, I find it inordinately difficult to get the phone out of the case while it's ringing. That's my issue with it.

I guess I can understand that .. but it also makes it inordinately difficult for it to flop out and explode I don't actually talk on the phone a lot so I guess it's just a perspective thing.

DLD

Originally posted by mjaffe
    [B]I would not suggest the pants pocket either.. I broke the screen twice with the Piel Frama.. I even reinforced the case with aluminum... I am waiting for this magnesium case from proporta

I currently use the flip EB case..
    m
    LINK HERE
    I think Innopocket is the original Manufacturer of these cases.
    They have the case available for pre-sale on their web site. I used this case on my old treo, loved the protection from nicks, scrapes and bumps. But I understand that the case reduces signal strength, maybe the new Magnesium versions are better[IMG]htttp://www.innopocket.com/web/productimg/200522219343664.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by g.711; 05-04-2005 at 05:06 AM.

Converged
    Are there any insurance policies available that are not offered through the service provider? For example, Verizon offers insurance, but only at the time of purchase.

After carrying this thing around and seeing how fragile it is, I want to get it insured. Verizon won't insure it, even if I take the phone to them to be inspected and they determine everything to be in order.
    Cigular 8125

Originally posted by jtollus
    Are there any insurance policies available that are not offered through the service provider? For example, Verizon offers insurance, but only at the time of purchase.

After carrying this thing around and seeing how fragile it is, I want to get it insured. Verizon won't insure it, even if I take the phone to them to be inspected and they determine everything to be in order.
    I was able to get insurrance 1.5 months after purchase. I read that it was available here and told the Verizon people that it was not offred at time of purhcase. They added it to my account no problem. $5/Month... (I Think - Company pays)

Talking

I appreciate the tips on that mag. case. Will have to check it out, especially if it has some kind of added "padding" on the inside. In any case, the pants pocket is now holding the phone but if it is true that it will break there as well, then I am quickly running out of options .

Possibly *too* converged! Gare_NY's Avatar
    Back in late 2003, when I got my Audiovox Thera on closeout at Verizon ($99 for the phone on a two-year contract - not bad), I also got every accessory that they had in stock, since the were all on clearance too. So, car charger was $2, and the leather zipper case/wallet was only $2.97. I bought a total of 8 of them. I sold a few on Ebay, and kept the rest.

These cases were great for the Thera, and I still use one now for the XV6600.. it isn't an absolutely perfect fit, but the case holds the phone in place, and even though I've got four kids, and I've dropped it a few times now, the phone has survived thus far.

I've reviewed the cases that you guys have discussed or bought so far, but as far as I can see, all of them leave some part of the phone exposed, or have a button right over the screen (!!), etc. The one I use zips all the way around and adds a lot of protection. Sure, it's a big ol' wallet to carry, but what do I care - I'm nerdy anyway.

Gare
    'In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lay an invincible summer'

Originally posted by Twiga
    I appreciate the tips on that mag. case. Will have to check it out, especially if it has some kind of added "padding" on the inside. In any case, the pants pocket is now holding the phone but if it is true that it will break there as well, then I am quickly running out of options .
    that added padding isn't gonna help you much. that case i use only when travelling and storage in my bag. it gives the device a nice feel (feels like a tank) and i use e-grips on the case. but if you drop this sucker while in the case, i believe it is subject to just as much damage as if the device were 'naked.' the padding ain't much as there is no bounce when it falls. when one of my devices fell while in that case, the case opened and the device fell out and received added damage. my leather case gives it much more protection when it falls because of the hard leather stitched seams.

anyways i view the metal case as protection from nicks and such only.

I used to keep my palm V in hard case in my shirt pocket. It must of fell out leaning over 50 times. The cases are too bulky for the PPC-6600 for use in a shirt pocket. So I put egrips on the back. I'd have to stand on my head for it to fall out now.

I think the shirt pocket is one of the safest and most convenient places to keep the phone.

If you still want to use a case put in egrips on the case.

Anyone know of silicon skin for PPC-6600 yet. A friend got it on here Ipod and it's very trim and protective.

i can't stand anything heavy in my shirt. i don't understand how you can put this in your shirt pocket. doesn't it pull down on your shirt. can you send a picture of this?