+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

tricking an exchange push

I control my own mail server, and as I have a laptop as my primary computer, it is tough to setup a windows client push program.

I know exchange can send a "hidden" text message of sorts which would force poutlook to check mail (rather than checking each hour)

I was wondering if I could spoof that by sending an email from my mail server to do the same thing.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

So I take it you are not running Exchange? What are you running?

a mail server software called mdaemon by altn

I don't think there's any way to trick it. What the blank SMS actually does is trigger a server activesync, not just a "check mail" event. I'm guessing that there's no easy way to emulate an exchange server without actually having one, unfortunately.

Dan

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    If anyone out there has this working with an exchange server, a simple packet dump of its communications with SPRINT/Verizon should be sufficient.

E

yes, please

It would allow a push style for amost no cost!~

I've been working with a friend who runs Exchange 2K3 on Windows Server 2K3 on this very subject. For the faint of heart, I wouldn't even TRY it. The first big thing we noticed is that Sprint blocks the standard mesages from Exchange, since they come through with no sender and Sprint considers that indicative of Spam, so they block it. There is, however, a hotfix (which is near impossible to find) for Exchange which lets you modify this and set your own sender value (like 555-1212).

Now, to the heart of the matter. Without accessing the RIL (Radio Interface Layer), there are only 2 methods of retrieving the SMS message from WM2K3. One is a COM+ plugin for pOutlook (the best method) and the other is setting your application up as the recipient of the system notification of an SMS. In BOTH of those scenerios, WM2K3 does NOT notify your app/com-object that there was a new SMS received, nor does it store it in pOutlook, nor do you have any indication that there was any SMS received of any kind.

That's my experience on the matter...nothing that would let me take a look at the composition of the message, nor do anything with it even if I could.
    Grab the latest beta of SMSPro!

http://www.pocketmonkey.net...put a monkey in your pocket!

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    We actually need to see the message going between the exchange server and the carrier. THAT'S the message we want to duplicate from our Open mail servers

Can your friend Ethereal dump a couple of such conversations?

E

the message is sent to <phonenum>@messaging.sprintpcs.com

I will ask for a dump, if it is possible.
    Grab the latest beta of SMSPro!

http://www.pocketmonkey.net...put a monkey in your pocket!

Guys, I think you missed what luv2chill said... even if you mimic the SMS message from the server, the PPC would activate ActiveSync to initiate an <I>ActiveSync protocol</i> connection to the server defined in the Server tab of ActiveSync. If that Server is not an Exchange Server, or otherwise running some service that mimics ActiveSync, the sync will fail.

Basically, I don't think you'll be able to use an SMS Message to intiate a POP/IMAP pull, and most likely it won't work with the provider's own sync apps either.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

The message only kicks off a server activesync. Kicking it off artificially without an exchange server to sync to would be like calling someone that doesn't have a telephone.

Yep. Your best bet would be to see if RICoder can incorporate something like that into his SMS app, that would watch for a certain code in an incoming SMS (much as it already does to properly format URLs, phone numbers, etc.) that would somehow trigger a manual sync in the messaging app and then delete the SMS without presenting it to you.

Dan

Originally posted by luv2chill
    Yep. Your best bet would be to see if RICoder can incorporate something like that into his SMS app, that would watch for a certain code in an incoming SMS (much as it already does to properly format URLs, phone numbers, etc.) that would somehow trigger a manual sync in the messaging app and then delete the SMS without presenting it to you.

Dan
    wow that would rule.
    i bet when ricoder started smspro he didnt realizehow much would be placed on him to "fix" the shortcommings of this phone based on only sms
    Tanguy de Courson

That sounds like it may work, and may not be very difficult to implement.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

According to MS, there is no call or API to tell pocket outlook to sync a mailbox. You would need to have a 3rd party SMS app call a 3rd party mail app that can be controlled externally.

Certainly, this is possible to do. We use MDaemon as well and when we had Treo's, we also had a third party application that was loaded on the Treo that would filter SMS messages looking for a certain character pattern. When found, it would launch Snappermail. Worked great. Haven't found a similar utility for the 660x.

Plus, with the amount of mail/spam and virus notifications, I wouldn't be able to deal with the Up to Date SMS my exchange 2003 server sends. I just have it check every 2 hours and when I am away from my desk, I manually check it as needed. The last thing you want is your PPC 6600 turning on and active syncing everytime you get a message - specially in the middle of the night!
    Check out my iAdviseMe (IT Advisories), i9erNews (49er news), iGreen (Green News) or my iGossip (celeb News) Apps at: http://www.iadvise.me/

my spam filter gets about 99% of SPAM, with MDAemon I can set it to not send the SMS if spam (based on header info)

Still , I get too many messages to make that AUTD (always up to date) worth my while. My battery lasted 1/2 a day and I ppl were always getting my vmail cause my phone was on Vision a lot. Its a cool feature to have and it works great, but the last thing I need is to hear my fiancee *****ing about my phone always being bz! :p
    Check out my iAdviseMe (IT Advisories), i9erNews (49er news), iGreen (Green News) or my iGossip (celeb News) Apps at: http://www.iadvise.me/

Originally posted by dmackdaddy
    Still , I get too many messages to make that AUTD (always up to date) worth my while. My battery lasted 1/2 a day and I ppl were always getting my vmail cause my phone was on Vision a lot. Its a cool feature to have and it works great, but the last thing I need is to hear my fiancee *****ing about my phone always being bz! :p
    well as another feature....

SMSPro can ignore for a point, like once every hour so similar to a 1 hour auto check, however if there was no email to check nothing would happen

I think this would, overall save battery power