+ Reply to Thread

GPS Speaker Solution?

Hey guys I noticed a mention about the Jabra SP100 speaker that is out. I guess I don't really know much about the BT speakers but could I use this to hear my GPS Navigation pompts? It looked to me like the BT profiles (Headset and Handsfree) could probably just be used for phone calls. Anyone know for sure?

Jake

Jake,

There is no Bluetooth speaker for GPS prompts, yet. The Jabra won't work (nor any of the competing products) because those only work during an actual phone call--all you'll be able to hear through them is the person you're talking to on the phone.

The bluetooth solution for this problem is a profile called A2DP. Search this forum and google to learn all about it. Our devices are capable of A2DP, assuming you install the cab file that can be found in the first post of the ROM thread that is stuck to the top of this forum.

There are a few models of A2DP headphones, which you'll find us discussing in the A2DP threads (should come up via a search), but nothing currently on the market is a speaker.

I'm sure one will be made eventually--mainly for people wanting to play music through it, but it would work for GPS prompts too.

The other possibility is an app that was written for SmartPhones called BlueTunes that somehow is able to shuttle the phone's audio through a BT headset, but so far the author hasn't been able to get it working on PPCs.

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=203212

This is a feature that some day will be ubiquitous... it sucks that there's no easy solution available now.

Dan

Tried A2DP...

Thanks for your reply chill, I have read quite a bit on the A2DP BT profile and even went so far as to DL the BT add-on from the XDA site. Now I did not actually buy a headset that would make it work, I was plannig on getting the HP product. But in the mean I had the "high quality audio" in my BT manager, but it made my BT DUN unstable. (IE it would make the connection just drop after about 2 mins online.) it was VERY annoying. So I just did a hard reset and then restored my system to the pre A2DP addition and my BT DUN connection hasn't dropped like that since. Do you have any suggestions? I noticed that there was some talk about doing a hard reset, then installing the A2DP patch, doing a backup with that configuration, then installing each add-on app (VC, SPB, etc), then do another backup of that configuration. Is all this necessary or is there an easier way? Thanks again!

Jake

That's the tried and true way of testing it Jake. I don't do BT DUN currently, so I can't confirm whether the A2DP profile is responsible. I highly doubt it, but anything's possible.

I'm sorry I don't have any other suggestions for you. Maybe someone else will.

But one thing is for certain, the only way you can get GPS prompts via bluetooth is A2DP.

Dan

Thanks Dan....

kinda annoying. I am going to install the Garmin GPS 10 this week. Do you think it would be best to do a hard reset, install the A2DP (obviously test the BT DUN), then the VC, then Garmin stuff, then the SPB, then the Netfront. what would be best? I would like to have the option of making A2DP work. Any suggestions/ best install steps???

Jake

Well I think the easiest thing would be to buy/install Sprite backup and then it doesn't matter what order you do them in. But I would start with apps that could affect BT and/or DUN... so that means the GPS and Netfront. You might save VC for last. It's a buggy piece of crap (I still use it though) and has caused a lot of mysterious issues with these phones.

Dan