+ Reply to Thread

Angry Verizon data plan & PC Card plan????

Since I already pay for unlimited data from Verizon, why should I have to pay for more data from using a pc card in my laptop? $45 for the 6600 access and I think they want like $60 for the pc card access. Is there any way short of using the phone to connect my laptop to the internet? If I turn off the data incoming to my phone then why (or How) could I trick the network into allowing the connection? I am not trying to access the internet simultaneously. I just think unlimited should really be unlimited.

They ask for more because the PC card is in essence another phone. It works completely independent of any other phone handsets you have. And it's expensive because it's targeted at Business customers who have the money to spend on the cards and have workers that will use them every day and pull a lot of data.

I don't really understand your question though. What are you trying to do? What does "turn off the data incoming to my phone" mean? Ultimately, there's very little you can do to "trick" a CDMA network. Verizon's billing system is aware of every ESN accessing their network and the billing is automatic.

So what's the problem with hooking your 6600 up to your laptop and accessing the internet that way? Is it because you want to be able to talk on the phone at the same time? That is currently not possible to do with CDMA networks, and it will be years before it is possible.

Dan

We have a number of employees that are using Verizon for the Data on the laptop. We recently dropped all of the PCMCIA cards for the lap tops and have them use their Phone/PPC for DATA.

The only drawback I have seen with my 1X connection is the inability to make phone calls. I have heard that EVDO solves this issue.

Best option i have found is Bluetooth to my XV6600 to internet. Fast Reliable..

Regard your specific question. We did ask Verizon why we had to pay again for the cards. They consider each of these a distinct device on their network and have to charge accordingly. The $50 per month is why we dropped the data cards and moved to PC’s Verizon gave us no other option.

Originally posted by sphinx88
    The only drawback I have seen with my 1X connection is the inability to make phone calls. I have heard that EVDO solves this issue.
    No, EV-DO doesn't solve that problem. EV-DO is Data Only. Telephone calls are still carried by 1xRTT and the phone can only do one or the other, not both simultaneously.

What EV-DO does offer is the ability for incoming calls to interrupt a data session, so if you're using data your calls should be able to ring through. However, I'm not sure if that works when tethering or not. Maybe someone with a VX6600 in a n EV-DO area could tether to their computer and test it for us.

EV-DV (Data and Voice) is the technology that will allow data and calls to coexist in the same carrier... but that is years off (if it even gets adopted--there may be other alternatives by that point).

Dan