+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ppc-6600 , is WWW browser still slow ?

I had the G1000 since it came out, and was always disappointed at how slow IE would load certain web pages, like the Ebay advanced search page. ( It took about 20 seconds to render that page ! )
    It was not a bandwidth issue at all. I had a bandwidth meter installed, and it showed no heavy bandwidth use. It was the PPC's processor being slow to actually decode and render the HTML.

Now that I've explained my past experience with the G1000, How fast does the ppc-660X load the Ebay search page?
    Or how about the pdaPhoneHome forum page, also notoriously hard for PPC to render....

Like this one: http://search.ebay.com/ws/search/Adv...e=h:h:fitem:US

I want to upgrade !!
    Thanks All!
    -Les
    Last edited by lesd; 05-05-2005 at 02:59 AM.

Ebay Advanced search page took 36 seconds to load for me on PIE (I'm using the MultiIE extension though). That is at 3am on a Sprint 1xRTT connection (haven't speed tested but I usually get about 120kbps this time of night.

Let's face it, PIE is slow... always as been and continues to be in WM2003SE. Let's hope that it's improved in Magneto.

Maybe a Verizon user in an EV-DO area can post their load time for that page to compare/contrast with mine.

Dan

OK, I'm sorry to hear that. I was hoping for a great reason to dump my G1000

I don't really know why that ebay page is so hard to parse. It loads fast if I use my G1000 as a modem, so it's not the bandwidth for sure.

Thanks for testing that out!

-Les

Just remember that it is not just the data speeds that control how fast a page loads. The processor and OS is significant, as Dan alludes to. Think about hooking up your old Windoze 95 pc to cable internet access....
    Jeremiah 29:11

Umm, that's what I was clearly stating above. Again, when I use the G1000 with the modem cable , it's fast .
    Modem cable obviously means using the PDA as a modem only.

I need a better browser. I can get better results using terminal services on the PDA and letting my desktop computer at home do the HTML rendering, and viewing the resulting bit map on the phone, remotely . I'm aware such external service based browsers exist, but I'm not willing to pay an ongoing service fee for them. Plus the privacy concern that my data is going thru a 3rd party that is not my desktop.

-Les

Originally posted by mwfielder
    Just remember that it is not just the data speeds that control how fast a page loads. The processor and OS is significant, as Dan alludes to. Think about hooking up your old Windoze 95 pc to cable internet access....

I've used Thunderhawk since it first came out a couple of years ago and am really, really spoiled, both with the speed and rendering. And I can do my banking! Yeah! - sheureka

Where does thunderhawk keep the server that is rendering all the web pages that it's users are looking at? In some back office?

It's almost like when I use Terminal services to view a web page on my remote desktop ( via firefox ) from my mobile PPC, but the 'desktop' is at some other place.

-Les

So is Thunderhawk that much fater than PIE? Even when multipule Web pages are displayed?
    ROM: 2.07.00WWE; Radio: HA01-151; ExtROM: 2.07.111 WWE
    SanDisk SD UltraII 1GB; Logitech Mobile Traveller SE BT Headset

JDS
    Thunderhawk is MUCH faster than PIE. It does require a monthly subscription ($5.99 USD) per month.
    Converged Newbie

Alternative Browser to PIE

I have been using NetFront 3.1 in trial for a bunch of days. It is MUCH faster than PIE. I have an EVDO connection and I can finally feel it.

Also - it is just software, no subscription or back-end service. It has nice features like Java support and tabbed window browsing (many pages opened at once). Also has much better rendering than PIE for the small screen

http://www.access.co.jp/english/

you wont like the 6600. I had the G 1000 and was not upset at all with its preformance. you have to do some registry tweaks but it will get the job done. YOU CANNOT GET TO EBAY ON THE 6600. there are some issues with the mobile 2003 that is installed in it. yahoo and many others will get you to an annoying PAGE CANNOT BE FOUND message

Originally posted by LTGLOYD
    you wont like the 6600. I had the G 1000 and was not upset at all with its preformance. you have to do some registry tweaks but it will get the job done. YOU CANNOT GET TO EBAY ON THE 6600. there are some issues with the mobile 2003 that is installed in it. yahoo and many others will get you to an annoying PAGE CANNOT BE FOUND message
    You might want to check out your machine before you start making blanket statements that are not true. I was just sitting here with my ppc6600 and read your post, I've just gone to yahoo and now I'm looking at the ebay homepage on my ppc600. Please keep unfounded statements to a minimum, they don't help anyone.

R

Originally posted by luv2chill

Maybe a Verizon user in an EV-DO area can post their load time for that page to compare/contrast with mine.

Dan
    I debating going out to get the 6600 from Sprint to test.

I just finished a test with Verizon's "air" card (PCMCIA card). It was VERY impressive performance on my laptop. The only problem is there is limited coverage--you have to be on the VZW network and that doens't mesh well with my travel circut. The EDVO speeds are blazing, but only in 32 cities.

I had the hp 6315 for a while and had the same speed complaint on ebay. I gave the device to a friend during dinner to bid on a baseball card--he started while we were ordering and he finihsed after we had finished our deserts--that's a long time to make a one-bid transaction.

So, will the 6600 be similar? I don't want to waist more time on a two week test if I don't have to.

My biggest problem with the 6600 is the latency, not the speed. Once things get moving they move along ok but I have a huge latency of about 4 seconds. I have used the ppc to bid on ebay and while it took a couple of minutes it was mildly annoying but not impossible.

It may depend on signal where you are or what type of tower you are on. I don't know, I'm just offering these as possible differences in experiences.

My general speed runs about 100 to 110 kbs but the latency is measured in seconds rather than milliseconds. That's where the bottleneck is for me.

R

Oops, just edited to add that this is a ppc6600 on Sprint running 1xrtt.

Originally posted by luv2chill
    Ebay Advanced search page took 36 seconds to load for me on PIE (I'm using the MultiIE extension though). That is at 3am on a Sprint 1xRTT connection (haven't speed tested but I usually get about 120kbps this time of night.

Let's face it, PIE is slow... always as been and continues to be in WM2003SE. Let's hope that it's improved in Magneto.

Dan
    From when I clicked the site, to when the MS flag dissapeared was 12 seconds on VZW EVDO on an XV6600. (2-3bars, near a major shopping mall at 4:00 in the afternoon)

I used this link
    http://search.ebay.com/ws/search/Adv...e=h:h:fitem:US
    From the OP
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

Originally posted by IvanLasston
    From when I clicked the site, to when the MS flag dissapeared was 12 seconds on VZW EVDO on an XV6600. (2-3bars, near a major shopping mall at 4:00 in the afternoon)
    Okay, I just tried it with Sprint (1X) using Thunderhawk - and I don't think it was cached because I've never gotten into ebay that way before. Anyway, it took 11 seconds. That's with 80% signal strength at 6:45 pm. - sheureka
    Last edited by sheureka; 05-20-2005 at 06:56 PM.

Just to ensure I didn't get fooled by caching, I deleted all files and all history. I soft reset and ran the test again. Same signal 3 bars, near a mall, at 5:16PM.

17 seconds.

I went in and cleared everything out, and tried it again - this time it took 10 seconds. I don't know what Thunderhawk is like with EVDO, but on 1x Sprint it's sure worth the $6 a month. - sheureka

Their server compresses the data then sends it to your phone. That is why TH is a fee based system. They have alot of server side activtiy.

I think a more fair comparison would be if I went to the site through skweezer. I just tried it and it didn't save much. 10 Seconds from hitting skweeze to flag stop. Skweezer was reporting skweeze time as 0.234s.

Maybe someone with EVDO and TH can chime in on how they do.

I downloaded the Netfront demo yesterday afternoon and have tried it out a few times. Works nicely but the big problem I have with it is the layout. Using PIE I can get a single column read but using CNN as a test I found that with Netfront I have to scroll all over the page to try to read it and its incredibly annoying. With PIE, its much slower but more readable when the formatting is done.

I also have Thunderhawk and it seems better to me than either of the other alternatives above. Thunderhawk is a http client that uses their bit fonts to reduce the actual size and then uses their transparent proxy caching server to store and compress data which is why it appears to load faster, it is actually loading less data and that's a good thing!

I guess, of the three alternatives right now I have to say that I like Thunderhawk best but could change that to Netfront if I could find a way to format the page better.

R