+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hard reset when pressing green talk button? Anyone?

Today with my camera 6600, my phone started doing hard resets whenever I press the hardware talk (green) button. Aside from that, all works fine. Whenever I push the talk button the screen dims and boom...hard reset.

Yes I searched the forums.

No it's not battery as it happens with my stock battery not just my 2200.

Verizon was going to search for other incidents like mine so I thought I would see if I can find out more here.

Thanks!

Fred
    Phone: Treo 700w
    History: XV6600 -> Treo 700w -> XV6800 -> Treo 700w again.

Wow! Now that's a problem!
    Jeremiah 29:11

I hear ya! They want to send me a refurb. I want a new one.

Originally posted by MajesticNJ
    I hear ya! They want to send me a refurb. I want a new one.
    Gripe and moan, maybe they will give in. In my experience, they will not. However, I received two refurbed i700s and had absolutely no issues with them.
    Jeremiah 29:11

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!

Re: Hard reset when pressing green talk button? Anyone?

What are the circumstances around the resets? How is the phone being held at the time you are pressing the Green button? Mounted? In your other hand? Lying flat? In Cradle?

Today with my camera 6600, my phone started doing hard resets whenever I press the hardware talk (green) button. Aside from that, all works fine. Whenever I push the talk button the screen dims and boom...hard reset.

Yes I searched the forums.

No it's not battery as it happens with my stock battery not just my 2200.

Verizon was going to search for other incidents like mine so I thought I would see if I can find out more here.

Thanks!

Fred

Re: Re: Hard reset when pressing green talk button? Anyone?

I thought the same thing. I can hold it sideways, rightside up, and upside down but it still resets when I press talk.

I can apply more or less pressure to the back of the phone in the center or closer to the bottom where the button is and the phone does NOT reset so I don't think it's the battery.

I even tried to shake the phone a bit to see if it was a piece of solder or something that was shorting a contact. No help.

Wish I didn't have to do all of this but such is life.

Best part is Verizon 611 wanted me to bring the phone to a store to have a tech look at it. I told them that they will simply see the same thing I see then say "Yup...phone is broken." DUH!

On to my next phone. I will let you all know what Verizon does for my replacement.

Fred

Originally posted by backbeat
    What are the circumstances around the resets? How is the phone being held at the time you are pressing the Green button? Mounted? In your other hand? Lying flat? In Cradle?

Re: Re: Re: Hard reset when pressing green talk button? Anyone?

Pressure exerted from the Green button will be met with counter pressure on the bottom-rear, of a non-equal, varying degree which will be dependent upon the circumstance of how your phone is being held. Most, but not all, reported incidents of soft/hard resets have shown pressure exerted to the lower section of the phone when in a controlled situation (not 'falling'). Given that the lower left (Green button) area is also the general location of the built-in soft reset mechanism, your random tests are unlikely to show you a clear indicator. Just something to keep in mind.

I thought the same thing. I can hold it sideways, rightside up, and upside down but it still resets when I press talk.

I can apply more or less pressure to the back of the phone in the center or closer to the bottom where the button is and the phone does NOT reset so I don't think it's the battery.

I even tried to shake the phone a bit to see if it was a piece of solder or something that was shorting a contact. No help.

Wish I didn't have to do all of this but such is life.

Best part is Verizon 611 wanted me to bring the phone to a store to have a tech look at it. I told them that they will simply see the same thing I see then say "Yup...phone is broken." DUH!

On to my next phone. I will let you all know what Verizon does for my replacement.

Fred

So FROM A HARD RESET
    you push the green button
    and it hard resets?

Does it do this anytime -- even during the touchpad calibration sequence?

Ehud

Yes Ehud,

Tried that just to be sure. I also went through to the calibration and tried it again from the main today screen BEFORE the phone installs Verizon's software.

Then I did it again from another application screen. In this case, Solitare and it still hard resets. I started the game then hit the green button and it did it again.

So it doesn't matter what application I am in, the button is hard resetting the phone.

I also tried to turn the phone over and push on the battery close to where the button is but I could "NOT" get the phone to reset nor would it open the phone application.

I just hung up with a supervisor at Verizon in the data group. I explained how I was reluctant to take a "refurb" phone because this phone is but 2 months old. After a minute or two of a my "very" polite rant (I did not yell or get nasty), they are sending me a "new" phone and it should be here Monday.

Fred

Originally posted by Ehud
    So FROM A HARD RESET
    you push the green button
    and it hard resets?

Does it do this anytime -- even during the touchpad calibration sequence?

Ehud

Excellent! Definitely a SERIOUS hardware problem

Ehud

I agree....imagine if you can...

RING......RING....RING.....

Tap the green button to answer and CLICK! BOOM! HARD RESET!!

Since your 6600 is 'with cam', the subjective point about early vs more recent production units and a relationship with reset issues may not hold any weight. Interesting.

How long before you receive the placement?

I agree....imagine if you can...

RING......RING....RING.....

Tap the green button to answer and CLICK! BOOM! HARD RESET!!

From what they said, Monday.

M - I rarely use the green button but I can see how that would be a pain. Until you get a replacement I know you are locking all but the power button and using your headset and the on-screen buttons to answer calls -- right?
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135

Yup.

Originally posted by Beryl
    M - I rarely use the green button but I can see how that would be a pain. Until you get a replacement I know you are locking all but the power button and using your headset and the on-screen buttons to answer calls -- right?

Hard reset when pushing green button

I'm having the exact same problem. Purchased phone last Saturday (5/ from Verizon Store (6600 w/ camera). Phone worked flawlessly until today. This morning, downloaded trial of Microsoft voice command (not sure if this had anything to do with it).

This afternoon went to press green button and it did a hard reset. I chalked it up to the Microsoft voice command software. But even with the phone in the default configuration, it still does not give the dialer when pressing the green phone button, instead, continually gives hard resets.

Spoke to verizon tech and he went thru me doing a traditional hard reset, but of course it didn't work. He just said you'll have to bring it back to the store and get a new phone.

Steve

Sounds like a run of bad phones... sorry it happened to you too... let us know if you have problems getting another phone

Ehud
    p.s. For a guy who's ony got 3 posts since 12/03... Kudos on being a good searcher

Ehud-thanks, actually I've been a long term lurker. Previous owner of Kyo 7135 which died mysteriously last week (dreaded SRCP). But I was due for a new Verizon phone anyway, but was waiting for the Treo 650. But after reading about the XV6600 I decided that was the way to go (especially since I'm an Outlook person). Phone looked fabulous for 1st 5 days, and now.....
    wondering if I should change to the Treo. Or are the WOC phones more stable??

Steve

Only two people have reported the problem you mention, and both recently (as you can see in this thread). I think it's just sheer coincidence coupled with poor quaity control.

If you prefer a PPC, stick with it

E

I, too, have begun experiencing this problem on my 6600.

Just started randomly last night while walking around the mall. I went to answer a phone call and wham, reboot. Its VERY aggravating.

I'm about to call VZW support and ask for a new one.

Oh yeah, this is my SECOND replacement phone in 6 weeks.

-Chris