+ Reply to Thread
    Striving for Understanding novuslotus's Avatar

Streaming News on the XV6600

I've done a few searches on the forums for this, and come up with a few sites but nothing has worked so far, so . . .

What I'm looking for is pretty simple, and for the life of me I can't figure out why this has been so difficult. I just want a few good sources of news on my phone so I can listen while driving/running around . . . I don't really care whether it's video or just audio (in fact, the only one that has worked out for me and my mostly 1xRTT connection so far is an audio-only), but I just wanted to get something that covered international, national, and business news.

Right now, I get onto the BBC World Service website everyday and listen to their feed. It's really clean and reliable, doesn't break-up much at all even though I'm currently not using Wifi and often not even in an EVDO area. But it's the only one I know of and have gotten to work so far. All the video feeds either don't load or start breaking up within 5 seconds of initial buffering.

So, if anyone has a streaming news video or audio source they would like to recommend to a beginning user, I'd be thrilled. I really would like to do this without having to stream stuff from my computer (I won't have the setup to do that until I stop drifting around and move into my new place in the early fall). And in the meantime, GO BBC!

I feel your pain... I would think there would be more interest in this forum on this topic, but to date there doesn't seem to be much ... I have never been able to get streaming video clips from MSNBC,CNN etc to work...PIE as a browser doesn't seem to have any provision for plug-ins or helper apps...GSplayer or pockettv doesn't work either...I'm hoping Netfront 3.2, when it becomes available, will have the capability to load the appropriate media player apps when a link to a video feed is encountered...
    Samsung i760

Plug this link into Windows Media Player on your 6600. This is an NPR 24 hour news stream.

http://www.npr.org/dmg/dmg.php?getPr...Underwriting=1

Originally posted by heliskier59
    I feel your pain... I would think there would be more interest in this forum on this topic, but to date there doesn't seem to be much ... I have never been able to get streaming video clips from MSNBC,CNN etc to work...PIE as a browser doesn't seem to have any provision for plug-ins or helper apps...GSplayer or pockettv doesn't work either...I'm hoping Netfront 3.2, when it becomes available, will have the capability to load the appropriate media player apps when a link to a video feed is encountered...
    There are many of us out here we just need to organize!
    The Treo Folks have a great link for streaming stations you my want to give it a polk.
    http://portal.treobits.com/index.php?ind=shoutcast

Thanks guys . . . I just tried the NPR website, seem to be several good news programs on there that I just need to program into my favorites along with the BBC.

Didn't really find any news stations on the Treobits website though.

We got anymore?

Just a thought, but you may be interested in the phenomenon of 'podcasting'. BBC has a few of thier shows set up for it, and are adding more:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/downloadt...mme_list.shtml

Here's a podcasting primer:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podcasting

Here's a couple of directories of Padcasts:
    http://www.podcast.net/
    http://www.ipodder.org/

You can use an RSS reader on your PC and transfer the files to the PPC, or use a RSS Reader directly on the PPC to pull down feeds.

One more thing: Technically (at least with VZW), streaming is against the terms of use of the data plan. Since podcasting is really just automating downloads, they can't say anything about it.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

Is there any way to get Vcast comtent?
    Samsung i760

Originally posted by lmychajluk

One more thing: Technically (at least with VZW), streaming is against the terms of use of the data plan. Since podcasting is really just automating downloads, they can't say anything about it. [/B]
    I am not disputing what you are saying but I called Verizon when I first started streaming on my data plan and they indicated that it was allowed. I don't want to take the thread off topic but I would like to know the basis for your statement.

Unlimited PDA/Smartphone and BlackBerry® Plans:
    Data sessions may be used for following purposes: (i) Internet browsing; (ii) email; and (iii) intranet access (including access to corporate intranets, email and individual productivity applications like customer relationship management, sales force and field service automation. Intranet access requires the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.). Unlimited plans are for individual use only and not for resale. <B>The Unlimited plans cannot be used</b>: (1) for any applications that tether the device to laptops, PCs, or other equipment for any purpose, <B>(2) for uploading, downloading or streaming of movies, music or games,</b> (3) with server devices or with host computer applications other than the BlackBerry Enterprise Server, including, without limitation, Web camera posts or broadcasts, continuous jpeg file transfers, automatic data feeds, telemetry applications, automated functions or any other machine-to-machine applications, (4) as substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections.

This is from the information posted at the bottom of thier data plan page. I don't know if this link will work - Link. If it doesn't, select Phones/ then the VX6600, then a 1yr/2yr plan on the right, click 'Go to Plans next' button, then on the link to the PDA / Smartphone Plans and it's in the text at the bottom of the page.

Now, it specifically says the 'Unlimted Plan', so I guess if you're paying by the kb, it's not against thier T&Cs.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730

Originally quoted by lmychajluk
    (3) with server devices or with host computer applications other than the BlackBerry Enterprise Server...
    And they didn't include their own crappy "Wireless Sync".

That statement is to protect them if/when they selectively want to cut someone off, IMO. Say someone used their service to show movies to a large audience for money, for example. They know that if they ever actually stopped customers from A/V data streaming, they'd have a mass exodus.
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135

I realize that the customer service reps are not always knowledgeable and sometimes do not give out the most accurate information but again, what is posted here is contrary to what Verizon told me. Also, I have never been charged for streaming. I have only been required to pay for the unlimited data. If ever asked to do otherwise, I will cancel.

The statement has a ton of holes and contradictions in it that any lawyer could probably pick apart if VZW came after you, but Beryl's right - it's a CYA thing.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730

Any idea how to get this to stream to my xb660x?

There is a link "skip this video" which has a random=true in the URL... it would bad ass if I could stream random stupid videos...

http://stupidvideos.com/

Also, anyone try this for video streaming on the the xv660x?

PocketStreamer
    http://www.ppcvidz.com/forums/forums...tid=61&posts=1

Man, I'm having a hell of a time finding a great list of ASX video streams...

anyone find a list of news, mtv videos, etc..??

I am still pondering my puchase of a device (6600 or i730 if I can wait) and I have been searching for anything on streaming video and have not been able to find much. I too, would think there would be much more about this on this forum. I am also a news junkie and would like to be able to watch the CSPAN live streaming video feeds from their website. Has anyone been able to do this with a 6600 using the WMP or other software?

I must be missing something... How can I stream anything with my xv6600? Wmediaplayer?
    And BBC?

Help

easystyle1 - selected websites stream content which you can access on a media player on your computer, and in the case of your XV6600, through windows media player. I listen to the BBC everyday (seems like the only reliable one most of the time!) off of the BBC world service website (you can find a variety of programs), simply by clicking on their link. It opens up in WMP, no problem.

However, I'm struggling to find other links/websites that have equally good streamed news. Especially since I live in an area where EVDO is unavailable. So far, NPR was the closest after the BBC, but for me it got stopped up every minute or so. Need to find other links or just jump on the podcasting thing!

Btw - think it is interesting to note that the VZW contract details restrict the use of streaming "movies, music or games" but not news audio. So looks I could stream the news all the day long (especially now that I have my 3300 battery, woo-hoo!), unless that is somehow covered with the techno-speak in item 3. If anyone gets CSPAN video to work on their device, i'd also be interested to know!

Did anyone notice that on Sprint's new commercials pushing the Vision service the guy says you can listen to streaming music on your phone? Raised an eyebrow since people were worried about that...
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

Try this page formatted for PPC, it has a few links for streams for WMP.

http://www.ppcvidz.com/small/mainmenu.asp