+ Reply to Thread

One button to Turn On Device and go to Voice Command??

Hello everyone,

If my phone is off....in order for me to use Voice command...I need to (1) turn on the display (take the device out of suspend) and then (2) hit my mapped button for "Voice Command".

I was curious to find out if I could make ONE button press do those two processes.

1 Button press performs:
    - Turn on display
    - Start "Voice Command"

I looked at two button mappers:
    DoubleLauncher 2.11
    VITO ButtonMapper 3.3

Any ideas?
    James Murray
    HARDWARE:&nbsp;&nbsp;SprintPCS - PPC-6600; Headset: Jabra BT-800; ProClipUSA.com Car Dock with power <-- AWESOME;
    FAV-SOFTWARE:&nbsp;&nbsp;Pocket controller; Spb Pocket Plus; Voice Command; PIEPlus; VM Network Browser; TimeTrakker MX SEQBU;

maybe i'm not getting your question, but mine does this simply by checking "do not lock buttons" under the button lock thing in settings/system. in other words, if i hit the power button and the screen goes dark, i can then hit my assigned vc button, the screen comes on and i get the tone that says it's listening for a voice command. this won't work though if you don't want all buttons unlocked.

hope that is helpful!

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Maybe I'm not understanding... but why would your phone be off?

You can't just hit the button on your bluetooth headset to activate Voice Command???

Ehud

turn on display and launch VC

Voice Command explicitly checks the power state of the device and will not respond if the device is not "on". If someone wrote a program that would intercept the button, set the powerstate of the device to on and then execute voicecmd.exe, this would do what you're asking for.

Re: turn on display and launch VC

My replies are in order as they were received in this thread:

Originally posted by btrcp2000:
    maybe i'm not getting your question, but mine does this simply by checking "do not lock buttons" under the button lock thing in settings/system. in other words, if i hit the power button and the screen goes dark, i can then hit my assigned vc button, the screen comes on and i get the tone that says it's listening for a voice command. this won't work though if you don't want all buttons unlocked.

I should have posted about this to begin with. This obviously was the first attempt. However it is quite problematic because I use a case...and other reasons. So no go.

Originally posted by Ehud:
    Maybe I'm not understanding... but why would your phone be off? You can't just hit the button on your bluetooth headset to activate Voice Command???

1. I use the "suspend" button on the top of the phone to turn the display off to save batteries, etc.. Now when I want to use "Voice Command" I have to turn on the display on the top of the phone. then hit the "Voice command" buton I mapped to the default "Start" button. I just want it to be on ONE button to make it easier when I'm driving.
    2. The Bluetooth headset I have (Jabra BT800), not to mention ALL the others, will not activate "Voice Command" by pressing the Voice Tag button...this is rather unfortunate. This would be perfect.

Originally posted by Xyzzy:
    Voice Command explicitly checks the power state of the device and will not respond if the device is not "on". If someone wrote a program that would intercept the button, set the powerstate of the device to on and then execute voicecmd.exe, this would do what you're asking for.

Exactly. This would make it so much easier to use the Voice Command. I tried using the "ButtonMax v2.10" software to make a macro but I couldn't get it to work. This software seems to be the most promising "out of the box" software to make this happen. It allows you to turn on the display with a button. But I was unable to make it work. Maybe someone else who knows how to use the program does.

Thanks for your replies....any more ideas?
    James Murray
    HARDWARE:&nbsp;&nbsp;SprintPCS - PPC-6600; Headset: Jabra BT-800; ProClipUSA.com Car Dock with power <-- AWESOME;
    FAV-SOFTWARE:&nbsp;&nbsp;Pocket controller; Spb Pocket Plus; Voice Command; PIEPlus; VM Network Browser; TimeTrakker MX SEQBU;

Bedrock--

The problem at the base of this issue is that you're using Button Lock. What this does is modify the button driver to prevent button presses from registering with Windows CE. That's why it works to prevent the device from "turning on" while in the case. If you insist on using Button Lock, there's no way a hardware button press could possibly activate Voice Command, because in order for VC to see it, Windows CE must see it first, and as I said, with Button Lock enabled CE won't see it.

So the first step is to not use Button Lock. Then you'll need to find (or have someone write) a complete replacement for it that locks all buttons except the one you use for voice command--a daunting task to be sure.

Dan

Do this--

Download PhoneLock (free program from SuperDave) from Phonelock 03.07 Beta - Phone Locking and Caller Picture
    Follow the directions about installing and VC shortcut.

Disable the locked button options.

Then, with the phone off, you can press and hold the record button to activate Voice Command. If you inadvertently hit a button, phonelock turns it back off.
    Jeremiah 29:11

THis is what i do with my BT headset and VC, I open the boom to my headset which initiates the connection and turns my phone on, then i hit the VC button.

what do you think?
    From an Axim X5 to a Toshiba e805 to a PPC-6600 to a PPC-6700 to a Mogul to a Touch Pro

The only way to be geek.

Originally posted by digiSal
    THis is what i do with my BT headset and VC, I open the boom to my headset which initiates the connection and turns my phone on, then i hit the VC button.

what do you think?
    What kind of headset do you have?

Why don't you just get the Bluetooth headset with the Voice-Command button? Then you just push that button and it turns on your phone, activates Voice Command, and you enter your command?

E

Is the PPC6600 using the Widcomm BT stack? Are you able to actually execute the voice command over the bluetooth connection? If so, if you can intercept the AT command from the headset to the hands free profile running on the device "AT+BVRA=1" and then execute voicecmd.exe, you will be able to initiate Voice Command using the BT headset.

Yes. No. Unfortunately not. In that order.

E

I have the Jabra BT-800 and it does not support initiating a Voice command "event". What headsets are you guys talking about that allow this?
    James Murray

Originally posted by Ehud
    Why don't you just get the Bluetooth headset with the Voice-Command button? Then you just push that button and it turns on your phone, activates Voice Command, and you enter your command?

E
    and

When you say "i hit the VC button." are you talking about the one mapped on your 6600 or the one on your headset?

As far as the first post... what headset is that? As far as I've been able to find, this is purely an issue with WM2K3 and it's BT profiles. I've got two BT headsets and neither will allow me to start MSVC from the headset. I have to start it from my mapped VC button and then it immediately connects to the BT headset.

If anyone has something that will allow activation of MSVC from a BT headset that will work on the PPC6600, I'd sure like to get it. I've only found a hack that works on other models and they seem pretty sure that it's not a good idea to install on non-tested ones like the 6600.

Similar Question,
    Am I able to map the button on my wired head set that came with my phone to open voice command?

Originally posted by Ehud
    You can't just hit the button on your bluetooth headset to activate Voice Command???
    You can use your bluetooth headset to activate voice command? Which one are you using? I have a Siemens and a Plantronics and neither will do this. It seems like an essential feature that was missed by the headset makers if you ask me.
    Mike H.
    -------------------------------
    http://Ads-Plus.com
    http://VEStudioHost.com
    http://MikesHandymanServices.com

YES!
    Please inform us!

Gruhn