+ Reply to Thread

Thumbs up Got the i.Trek BT GPS receiver

I ordered the i.Trek GPS last week and recieved it last Friday. I charged it up and had it running with my XV6600 without breaking a sweat! It works very well with TomTom Navigator USA and Pocket Co-Pilot 2005.

It comes with a nice soft case (with belt loop), AC charger, DC charger and also included an Arkon PDA vent mount.

Well worth the $109 (including shipping) I spent for it.

Highly recommended!
    Darren Swartzendruber

I have the same package, excite I am using it with iNav and love it. It works great and easy to use.

I really liked the vent mount that came with....that is until the bottom leg busted.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com
    www.wmexperts.com/ | www.wmexperts.com/reviews/ | discussion.wmexperts.com/

I am very new to gps navigation, and am considering purchasing the iTrek bluetooth gps receiver with TomTom Navigator 5. My question is if it will be supported for the ppc6600, and if it is greatly enhanced from the current TomTom offering. The following is the response I got from TomTom support, but you guys may have "insider" info...

-------------------------------------------------
    Navigator 5 will be available May 17th, 2005. The cost has yet to be determined. At the current time, that device is not on the compatibility list for Navigator 5. You may want to sign up for the TomTom newsletter on our website to receive update compatibility, availability, and pricing information. If you have any further questions please contact us.
    --------------------------------------------
    Ideas if it is worth the wait?
    something witty goes here...

Treo 600 -> ppc6600 -> ppc6700

I hope TomTom Nav 5 works on the 6600. I did get a free upgrade to TomTom 2004 (I think that is what they called the last version). It did NOT. I fell back to TomTom Nav USA which works great on the 6600.

I did speak to TomTom support about the issue. They explained to me that the 2004 version was like a "step back" for the PPC platform as the 2004 version was more so a Palm platform relase. I guess TomTom recoded their product so that the meat of the product was in a common code base for both PPC and Palm platforms. I was told TomTom 5 will be much better. While the 6600 is not listed on the compatiblity list for TomTom 5, the PDA2K is. Check out www.clubimate.com and you will see that the PDA2K looks just like the 6600.

The only reason I stick with the Co-Pilot product is b/c I like how I can download customized maps for my trips. For example, I am going to be traveling from South Carolina to New York this summer. Co-Pilot will create and download a map definition for the entire trip. With TomTom I have to download 2 LARGE maps that cover the states I need (and states I do not need). I will have to switch maps somewhere during the trip, so I will never be able to enter my destination address at the start of my trip. That is the only negative thing I have to say about the TomTom product. Their UI by far is the best.

I have been playing with the Co-Pilot Live functionality with Co-Pilot PPC5. My PDA will update the Co-Pilot Live website every fifteen minutes with my location. I can hand out accounts to the website where people can see where I am, send me new trips or stops, and send me messages with canned replies. These messages appear on the PPC. All I have to do is select one of the canned replies. But the Co-Pilot UI is a couple of version behind TomTom.
    Darren Swartzendruber

Is it normal for the iTrek to need " pairing " everytime its started up? I can never seem to turn on the gps without having to pair it first.

dswartze,

I have TomTom 2004 running fine on my 6600. I installed it and the voices to my storage card, and just manually copied over the GPS applet to the Windows directory (I think some of their GPS files are problematic--the executable is all that's needed though).

TT 2004 in itself definitely has a reduced feature set from the previous version... but it adds several new things that proved more important to me (I am a very casual GPS user at the moment). Their 3D mode is what saw the biggest improvement... the motion on it is very fluid, and the names of crossstreets are visible.

It works just fine with my Bluetooth GPS (Fortuna Clipon), and the routing has worked well for the most part. And boy do I love the Female UK voice (Jane). Hubba hubba!

I do get frustrated with the limitations (and there are a lot of them), but like I said I really enjoy the landscape 3D view (especially in night mode!) and if I could get Jane's directions to come out through one of the speakers of my car's audio system I'd be in heaven! I am looking forward to version 5 and will most likely upgrade.

Dan

Originally posted by skyheli
    Is it normal for the iTrek to need " pairing " everytime its started up? I can never seem to turn on the gps without having to pair it first.
    It should only have to pair once. I just turn the i.Trek on and start using it. I do not have much experience with BT devices, so I do not have much advise to offer.
    Darren Swartzendruber

TOM TOM 2004

HOW DO I INSTALL THE MAP FOR NEW YORK ONTO THE 6600?

when I try to open the program (Tom Tom) it says No maps found, please install and activate and original Tom Tom Navigator 3 map first...

That was my problem with TomTom 2004, the installer could not successfully install itself on my XV6600. I do not remember if it was an ActiveSync issue or the TomTom installer itself.

As for the maps, you should be able to copy them on to your storage card. That is how I installed maps with TomTom USA.

I am looking forward to TomTom 5. I just wish TomTom would do maps like Co-Pilot does. Then it would be the perfect GPS app.
    Darren Swartzendruber

The best place to really get all your answers with GPS devices or Software is the forum over at GPSpassion.com . There are a lot of 660x series phone owners over there and chances are you will find an answer either now or just shortly after May 17th for the new TomTom.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com
    www.wmexperts.com/ | www.wmexperts.com/reviews/ | discussion.wmexperts.com/