+ Reply to Thread

Mac users with PPC6600?

Hi all,
    Yes, I have a PPC6600. Yes, I am a Mac user...

Anyone out there have the same things and care to help out a newb? This PPC platform is like greek to me. Syncing it with my Powerbook is even more greek. Help! I love this thing and don't want to return it! I wanna stay!

Thanks,
    Michelle

Don't Return it!!!

It works great with Macs, however...
    Like all things PC to Mac it doens't always work as good or as easy. The first thing you will need is a program to sync with. iSync does not work by itself. There are 2 programs available. Markspace's The Missing Sync, and PockeMac. If you use Entourage to manage PIM info then for the moment you need PocketMac Pro. Do not get the smartphone version, pro works just fine. The Missing sync will sync with Enturage on their next upgrade and support WM 5. I use PocketMac Pro. It works just fine but EXTREMELY slow. It can take up to 5 minutes to sync everything! One of the things that I like about PocketMac is the ability to use iTunes. You can download songs from your Mac on to the XV6600. It also works with iPhoto to sync photos as well. The big drawback is that neither program has a trial version and are $30 apiece. They also cannot be loaded at the same time and PocketMac leaves behind somethings that have to be manually removed. I will be beta testing the Missing Sync in a few weeks to test the Entourage functionality. Enjoy your new toy!!!

Tom
    To most people, the sky is the limit.
    To those who love flight, the sky is home

Are you from Daly City? hehe..

I haven't figured out which one to use yet either. PocketMac's trial didn't work.

I was waiting for one of them to come out with a Tiger version before I bought one.

I am using my PC to sync for now until i'm sure.

Pocket mac is the way to go..Missing Sync broke with the Tiger Upgrade.. Pocket mac kept working like a champ. I am syncing with Blue tooth as I type. I use Entourage.

http://www.pocketmac.net/products/pmpro3/pmpro3.html

M

well pocket mac it is!!!!

ok i bought and installed it. but how do i install some ppc programs?? i am dying to try out AIM! please help! i connected it to the usb but my powerbook doesn't see it (nothing happens)
    Last edited by michelle; 05-12-2005 at 12:26 AM.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Any chance you can sync via BlueTooth?

Ehud

ah! bt sync works...but it is sooooo sloooooowwww...
    here's the question. i have entered contacts manually into the ppc. i wanna sync this data w/the mac. what settings do i choose and which program does it sync to? same goes for my calendar. i manually entered events. where do i sync to and how...

how do i install AIM!!??? i have the ppc .exe file...

i would like to install avantgo as well...

sorry to bug w/all these questions!
    Last edited by michelle; 05-12-2005 at 12:44 AM.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    I'm not familiar with the mac sync program, but if it is anything like Activesync it should give you options such as "Merge data" or "Replace data" on one device from the other... or give you a mechanism to copy from one to the other.

I'll butt out now Glad BT works for ya

E

Medley of Extemporanea
    Can you connect to the internet using #777 and browse the web on the mac? Is done via bluetooth or cable?

Just curious. Thanks.

no but i would really like to know how via BT.

i am trying to install ppc .exe files via pocketmac but it keeps saying that it can't find a .cab file. any workarounds to this?

some programs are available as cabs... Unfortunately, I neglected to mention I have virtual pc and i install files there and extract them.. Avantgo is a stickler.. It will not install without a pc...I have even contacted them about it. I always try pocket macs extracter but it works sometimes.

It works fine for me via usb or bt for me...you have to make sure to change the connect via preference in the pocket mac drop down and make sure the password protection is off on the hand held

As far as syncing it syncs to the program you select in the preferences.. I have microsoft office and I use Entourage, but you could use the Address book..

Michelle...check your pm messages

M
    Last edited by mjaffe; 05-12-2005 at 08:25 AM.

My Bluetooth is built in!
    Originally posted by michelle
    no but i would really like to know how via BT.
    http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com/modules...ewtopic&t=4419

http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com/modules...howpage&pid=70

When you go to install programs try to download them as .cab files. Then just copy them to the \my documents folder on the PPC and click them. This will be the easiest way to install programs.
    PPC-6700, Treo 700wx, Samsung IP-i830w, Motorola i580, LG Fusic. Mix well, add accessories, consume.

Originally posted by BryanHarig
    http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com/modules...ewtopic&t=4419

http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com/modules...howpage&pid=70

When you go to install programs try to download them as .cab files. Then just copy them to the \my documents folder on the PPC and click them. This will be the easiest way to install programs.
    thank you kindly for this.

My Bluetooth is built in!
    Sure, I was looking myself as I am considering moving back to an apple laptop sometime in the future.

Once you have a few weeks with the ppc6600 and OSX under your belt id like to hear about your experiences. Or, if anyone else feels like starting a thread on it I know id be interested.

I suspect that it will be incompatable with our phone (as it doesnt work with the XDAII) but try this too: http://www.reelintelligence.com/BluePhoneElite/
    PPC-6700, Treo 700wx, Samsung IP-i830w, Motorola i580, LG Fusic. Mix well, add accessories, consume.

being able to sync via BT and pocketmac last night was great, though it took a while...wish i could get usb sync to work but hey, BT leaves one less cable to worry about...

i am starting to get the hang of this lil monster. the keyboard just sucks though, compared to the treo650's. i think i'll do just fine but i'd love to hear about more mac users' opinions...