+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

WHEN is the WM 5.0 coming out??

I have read all th epress releases but I have not been able to find when is it offically going to be out for download on the microsoft site

1 week? 1 month???

My Bluetooth is built in!
    When WM2005 is released (someday in the future) it will not be available for download. It will be available preinstalled on a new PPC or it will be available as a download from the manufacturers who chose to allow their older PPCs to be updated.

The only manufacturer I know of who has announced plans to update their older PPCs so far is Dell. Its likely that it will take much longer for older PPCs to have an update made available, probably not until long after WM2005 is available for purchase on a new unit if ever.

It is expensive and time consuming to release an OS update for an older PPC. Many manufacturers chose no to. Infact HTC (designer of the pda2k, ppc6600, vx6600 etc) has already announced they will not be updating the pda2k. So any update would have to come from audiovox for our units.
    PPC-6700, Treo 700wx, Samsung IP-i830w, Motorola i580, LG Fusic. Mix well, add accessories, consume.

I recall there being a link somewhere for the WM 5.0... can someone give me the link?

I heard that the latest WM 5.0 is the final version yes?

What about active sync 4.0... is that offically on the microsoft site or not ?

Your asking for a link to download an OS that's not available to the public in a open community forum area? I wouldn't expect many helpfull answers.

Originally posted by punkouter
    I recall there being a link somewhere for the WM 5.0... can someone give me the link?

Phone: Treo 700w
    History: XV6600 -> Treo 700w -> XV6800 -> Treo 700w again.

I am the POTIONS MAHHSTER!!! jaderaven's Avatar

I know where you can download the latest/final versions.

You can download a copy of a combined installer for Windows Mobile ver. 5.0 and Activesync 4.0 HERE!!

Have fun
    iPhone - AT&T
    Past phones:
    Samsung i700 -Verizon
    XV6600 - Verizon

lol!
    Jeremiah 29:11

Never..

Rumors are it isn't scheduled.

http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...425#post339425

Dig through forum.xda-developers.com as well.

It doesn't look good that you will ever see an official WM2005 for your 6600.

Byron

This is at least the 4th or 5th thread on this topic in the last 24 hours. Each one has either been moved or closed to any further discussion. Here is now my boiler plate answer to each new thread on this topic:

We have been trying to talk about MS unvieling WM2005 and the possibility of having it for the 6600, but the discussions on this are being moved over to the General PDA forum or being closed, so this keeps on popping up here on this forum again and again. When the admins moved my original thread on the subject, they changed my title from MS Unviels WinMobile 5.0....but will Sprint offer it for PPC-660x? to simply MS Unviels WinMobile 5.0.... so it would fit in the General Discussion rather than in this forum.

It would be great if we could have the original discussion moved back to this forum so we can have just one again without having to jump back and forth between two different threads in two different forums.

To see some more GREAT information that was moved to the General PDA Forum:

MS Unviels WinMobile 5.0....(but will Sprint offer it for PPC-660x?)
    ( MS Unviels WinMobile 5.0.... )
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 05-12-2005 at 01:49 PM.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com
    www.wmexperts.com/ | www.wmexperts.com/reviews/ | discussion.wmexperts.com/

ok.. I have seen some topics on the subject but not the specific answers

I thought from here on Microsoft was realeaseing the OS on thier web site and not through vendors.

ok.. I have seen some topics on the subject but not the specific answers

I thought from here on Microsoft was realeaseing the OS on thier web site and not through vendors.
    Its specific enough to hardware, that it must be released through vendors.

Its up to the vendors to release updates. Dell and several other pda manufacturers have already announced releases. HTC (who makes the 6600 that Audiovox sells in the U.S.) has not announced an update.

My view? 'Not enough competition in the phone/pda market to spur them to do it. The pda market is a lot tighter with a lot more competition, so thats their perogative.

btf

ok.. so bottom line... a year from now will us people on the forum have WM 5.0 some how?

Or is it simply not possible

Is it true that some people have had the beta version running on the XV6600??? I thought it was.. which seems to me somehow well find a way to get it on our phones eventually

I just spoke the ever-cheery and polite folks at Audiovox in NJ.
    They informed me rather matter-of-factly "NO upgrade will be offered".

That's just freakin' marvelous. I'm sending an email to my VZW rep.

ok.. so bottom line... a year from now will us people on the forum have WM 5.0 some how?

Or is it simply not possible

Is it true that some people have had the beta version running on the XV6600??? I thought it was.. which seems to me somehow well find a way to get it on our phones eventually
    Its possible (from a hardware view).. There are pictures (from msft) that show WM2005 on HTC Blue Angel. (6600 variant).

Look at the other thread url'd from this thread.

Will somebody manage to find a rom? Thats a better question.

btf

Can you post a phone number and name of the person you spoke with?

Perhaps more of us need to call.

I have also been writing a letter to send over just in case I was told the same thing.

Fred

Originally posted by JD_GOLDCOMBAT
    I just spoke the ever-cheery and polite folks at Audiovox in NJ.
    They informed me rather matter-of-factly "NO upgrade will be offered".

That's just freakin' marvelous. I'm sending an email to my VZW rep.
    Phone: Treo 700w
    History: XV6600 -> Treo 700w -> XV6800 -> Treo 700w again.

ok.. i guess ill keep a eye out on certain places for a rom and installer and hopefully get WM 5.0 someday

1-800-229-1235. His name was James, I think in customer service.

Frankly...I think this is pretty chicken-s**t. I was led to beleive that VZW would offer free OS updates a year from purchase. I guess if one isn't offered they are off the hook, technically speaking.

I would even pay a reasonable fee to upgrade.
    I have no doubt that some genius over at XDA developers will shoe-horn an upgraded ROM...but once you apply it all warranty and support goes goodbye. What a racket!

This pretty much makes the devices useless to my company. There are just so many bugs presently that they are nearly unusable for a non-techie type. Now there is no hope of a sanctioned upgrade. Why would I ever consider buying more of them?

JD

Well, They didn't upgrade the G1000, and now no upgrade for the 6600. What a surprise, you buy it and they're done with you.
    SteveM
    Sprint HTC EVO 4G

Originally posted by Catman51
    Well, They didn't upgrade the G1000, and now no upgrade for the 6600. What a surprise, you buy it and they're done with you.
    You bought a G1000? No wonder you're bitter.

As soon as someone gets ahold of a compatible ROM the folks at xda-developers are sure to cook up one that will run on the 660x devices....
    PPC-6700
    ROM Version:2.06.00 WWE

OK guys....we need to write a little note to these people.
    Audiovox
    Attn: Complaint Department
    P.O. Box 18000
    Hauppauge, NY. 11788

Be specific re: the model number of you device.