+ Reply to Thread

Registry setting for Phone Polling or Radio polling

My ppc6601 on Sprint does not answer incoming calls with any reliability. Is there any settings where I can change the polling rate of the phone to check for incoming calls faster. It really acts weird.

If I try to call VM it will time out, but if I call the cell phone hang up then try to call VM it works quickly

Incoming calls ring 10 times and go to VM
    other times they come right in.

NO third party apps installed.

I know EHUD search, but didn't find any threads on this

boe
    I've had the same issue with mine. I'm getting a replacement model for mine because of this and so many people telling me they hear their own voice echo. It doesn't seem to matter the volume or if my headset is connector or not. I'm not impressed with the "quality" of the 6601. I'm hoping to give the 730 a try though!
    Want better phone selection from Sprint? http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...ease-read.html

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Assuming your data connection is off or dormant, it's a range problem (chip delay), a tower problem, or a carrier problem.

If your data connection is not off or dormant, find the applications running and holding it open... and smite them down.

The phone does *not* poll for incoming calls. What happens is that it is always listening on the paging channel. (Not to be confused with "pagers" as in the obsolete devices). On this channel the network tells the phone:
    1. You have a call coming in, here's the channel to take it on
    2. Here's the CallerID info.
    3. Here's your damn SMS message
    4. Turn VMail indicator on / off

If there are no Channels available, SMSs still work just fine (because everyone shares the paging channel) and voicemail notifications appear -- but a call can't come through because there are not any channels.

Note that towers MUST leave some channels free for potential outbound dialing (including 911) so while you may be able to MAKE a call, an incoming call may never make it to your phone. (Ringing indication is generated by the carrier, not by the tower attempting to contact your phone.)

Finally, chip delay. As the distance of your phone from the nearest tower increases, the area that tower services in which you are in increase as a function of Pi x R x R (Pi R Squared). This means if you are 10 ft from the tower, the tower is servicing people Of Your Class in an area of 314sqft. If you are 1 mile from the tower, people of Your Class are in an area which is 3sq miles (75,000sqft+).

When a tower is "busy" (channels filling up), it lowers the radius at which it's willing to communicate with new calls. It figures out radius based on the delay of request/responses with your phone. (Ping in the IP world, "latency" in technical terms, "chip delay" in the CDMA world.).

When it lowers the radius, you may still have full bars of service BUT you are outside the effective range it has "downsized" its service area to... NOTE: You can still make 911 calls. You just won't be allocated a channel for anything else unless the tower sees it channels free up.

A tower that services EV-DO or 1xRTT will have more channels available, and hence will be less likely to do this to you. In other words, if you're in a great data spot, chances are you're in a great voice spot. If you're in a horrible data spot with full bars, you'll never know if you're in a good voice spot.

I hope that helps.
    E
    p.s Thanks, W!

very informative, question: would this affect my 6601 differently versus my last Sprint cell phone, because it had no issues. It was just a normal cell phone and not a PPC one.
    PPC 6600, then 6700, now 6800

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    I can't even guess what your "last Sprint cell phone" was, but off the top of my head I can see two differences:
    1. Your last phone probably was a dua-mode or tri-mode phone. This one is CDMA one-band only. That means you can't switch to the best-coverage in your immediate area. You're always on CDMA SPRINT PCS.

2. Your last phone never entered an active data session. This one does. That means if data is active you will not be able to receive calls.

Hope that helps,

Ehud

Registered User EnnuiEnthusiast's Avatar
    Originally posted by Ehud
    Assuming your data connection is off or dormant, it's a range problem (chip delay), a tower problem, or a carrier problem.

If your data connection is not off or dormant, find the applications running and holding it open... and smite them down.

The phone does *not* poll for incoming calls. What happens is that it is always listening on the paging channel. (Not to be confused with "pagers" as in the obsolete devices). On this channel the network tells the phone:
    1. You have a call coming in, here's the channel to take it on
    2. Here's the CallerID info.
    3. Here's your damn SMS message
    4. Turn VMail indicator on / off

If there are no Channels available, SMSs still work just fine (because everyone shares the paging channel) and voicemail notifications appear -- but a call can't come through because there are not any channels.

Note that towers MUST leave some channels free for potential outbound dialing (including 911) so while you may be able to MAKE a call, an incoming call may never make it to your phone. (Ringing indication is generated by the carrier, not by the tower attempting to contact your phone.)

Finally, chip delay. As the distance of your phone from the nearest tower increases, the area that tower services in which you are in increase as a function of Pi x R x R (Pi R Squared). This means if you are 10 ft from the tower, the tower is servicing people Of Your Class in an area of 314sqft. If you are 1 mile from the tower, people of Your Class are in an area which is 3sq miles (75,000sqft+).

When a tower is "busy" (channels filling up), it lowers the radius at which it's willing to communicate with new calls. It figures out radius based on the delay of request/responses with your phone. (Ping in the IP world, "latency" in technical terms, "chip delay" in the CDMA world.).

When it lowers the radius, you may still have full bars of service BUT you are outside the effective range it has "downsized" its service area to... NOTE: You can still make 911 calls. You just won't be allocated a channel for anything else unless the tower sees it channels free up.

A tower that services EV-DO or 1xRTT will have more channels available, and hence will be less likely to do this to you. In other words, if you're in a great data spot, chances are you're in a great voice spot. If you're in a horrible data spot with full bars, you'll never know if you're in a good voice spot.

I hope that helps.
    E
    p.s Thanks, W!
    Great post, Ehud. Thanks for the education.

Originally posted by Ehud
    I can't even guess what your "last Sprint cell phone" was, but off the top of my head I can see two differences:
    1. Your last phone probably was a dua-mode or tri-mode phone. This one is CDMA one-band only. That means you can't switch to the best-coverage in your immediate area. You're always on CDMA SPRINT PCS.

2. Your last phone never entered an active data session. This one does. That means if data is active you will not be able to receive calls.

Hope that helps,

Ehud
    Ok my 6600 Sprint version has stopped receiving incomming calls completely. Is the hardware bad or would a hard reset fix it?
    Thanks Dan

Originally posted by ddwire
    Ok my 6600 Sprint version has stopped receiving incomming calls completely. Is the hardware bad or would a hard reset fix it?
    Thanks Dan
    Probably hardware. but try the reset. If it doesnt fix it, its the phone.

Does it happen wherever you are? Im thinking maybe if you just have bad signal where you are

No happens everywhere. The Sprint store gave me a sanyo 8100 to use till my new one comes in. The new one will be the 6601 as the camera version is dead. I would rather fix mine if possible to keep the camera.

But I am not going through a full day of reconstruction if the reset does not fix it.
    Dan