+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SMTP Auth Issue

Question SMTP Auth Issue

I have a VX6600. I just upgraded to the latest ROM image. Before I upgraded the SMTP client on the 6600 wouldn't even STARTTLS, let alon SMTP AUTH. With this image it will STARTTLS now, but it still won't SMTP AUTH. I am watching the mail server logs as the client connects and can see that TLS is happening, but no AUTH, and then, of course, our server won't relay the mail.

I have checked all the appropriate boxes in the Account setup. It happens that our user names/passwords on IMAPS and SMTP-AUTH are the same, so no problem there.

We are using Verizon. Is it possible that verizon is transparently proxying all port 25 traffic and filtering out SMTP AUTH.... or is the SMTP AUTH part of the software just plain broken?

I have read a bunch of posts on the forum about SMTP AUTH and it sounds like some users have been able to get it to work...but it also sounds like it might be possible that it only works with certain wireless providers e-mail services, thus the weird Wireless Sync crap.

**** What is the final word on whether or not SMTP AUTH works? Is there another mail admin who can confirm it working and relaying through their server? ***

please respond to jesse@coatesassociates.com also... if you can...not a big deal if you can't

In Solidarity,
    Jesse
    Coates & Associates
    Doug Coates

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    I'm using Verizon. I can verify it works.

However, I'm not using TLS, I'm using SSL. I believe that it's broken with TLS.

Can you select "SSL", and then watch the transaction (all encrypted). While you won't be able to verify the commands unless your mail server can do so, if you check "My server requires authentication" it should work.

I know you've probably tried this since you sound clueful.

Give it a try.

Sent you my YMSG id in email.

E

Can you verify that you are running your own mail server to relay mail and not using verizons e-mail service?

It looks like SMTP AUTH is being blocked.
    Doug Coates

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Doug, I hate to take exception, except that SMTP AUTH is a simple one liner in the middle of an otherwise innocuous SMTP transaction.

Nobody (but nobody) blocks that line. Frankly you'd have to write custom software TO block that line, and of all the lines in the transaction to block... that's the one you most don't want to block.

I'm bettin on something else... like SSL unchecked *or* server doesn't run an SSL port so it's falling back to PLAIN/TLS. AUTH doesn't send over plain (for obvious reasons, and it's a microsoft implementation choice, also evident in OE and O97,2000,2003).

E