+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cannot stream PPC6600 over 30k !

OK I have a PPC6600 on Sprints Vision. I have noticed over the past months that I have had the unit that it will choke if I stream over 30-40k on it. Initially I had Snapstreams Beyond TV running on it and I could never get it to stream over 40k without constant buffering or freezes. I always thought it was a problem with Beyond TV and just lived with it.

This past week I got a hauppauge 150 TV card and started using Orb. The same thing happens. Orb tests my network speed at 100-122k, but when I stream TV I get buffering every 5 or so seconds. I can adjust the network speed to 40k and it streams just fine, although with poor video and sound.

Keep in mind that I live near a medium sized city, and the people out here are extremely technically inept, so I could not see the Vision network being overloaded. I also have a full signal bar when I attempt to stream TV.

Hi Tech Trader
    Anything else using data? Do you have business connect or short intervals on your email fetching, and/or multiple accounts?

I have Sprint Vision, and I am able to stream 80k just fine, with a pause only about every 15 minutes or so.

But I make sure when watching a movie I only have orb accessing data and nothing else.

The problem as I've noticed is not bandwith, but latency. Once it gets a stream going, if its interrupted by anything, like an IM program just quickly sending a "stay alive" data packet, it takes a helluva long time to restablish the stream.

At least that's been my experience.

run some speed tests in different parts of the city sometime.

http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed

That should give you some indication of what you're getting. I notice sometimes Orb will test too high for me also--100-120kbps... those kinds of speeds really aren't sustainable in real-world 1xRTT implementations. Have you tried manually readjusting Orb to a 70 or 80K stream?

And time of day as a lot to do with it also. Next time you're awake at 2 or 3am try to stream Orb then and see if you can't manage it at higher bitrates.

Bottom line is this is almost certainly a network thing.

Just wait until EV-DO comes--Orb is jaw-droppingly cool at 400kbps!

Dan

Thanks guys, I have tried 70k and still too high. I will test it at different times, see what kind of results I get.

Cannot wait for EVDO though, hurry up Sprint!!
    iPhone 3GS !!

SpineDoc,
    It's something of a longshot, but you may want to take a look at your windows/profiles/guest/cookies folder. My experience has been that some cookies, particularly those from doubleclick, valueclick, and tribalfusion, can interfere with streaming. Whenever I encounter excessive buffering or stuttering, cleaning out unwanted cookies usually cures the problem for me.
    Mick

Hey guys 2 questions, thanks for the continued help. Where in my PPC do I access how often it fetches email? Also where do I access cookies? I would rather clear them out selectively as I have some cookies I do want to keep.
    iPhone 3GS !!

Do you mean from pop3/imap in poutlook?

Go to Accounts->Accounts

Double Tap on the account

Next->Next->Next

Click Options
    First screen should be if and how much to connect for pop/imap.

If its ActiveSync you need to go to activesync->tools-> options->mobile schedule tab

As for cookie management, I don't know,
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

Cookie Management:
    http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...t%5B1%5D_title

Let us know how it works.

I have had my PPC-6600 for about two months and can't stream much over 25k. Most bandwidth tests give me somewhere between 30-50k. I live in Los Angeles and the bandwidth is consistent day and night.

To manage cookies, I use Resco File Explorer, navigate to Windows/Profiles/Guest/Cookies, and delete each cookie I don't want. I generally keep only the cookies that start store useful information, such as userid and password for forums. If I open each cookie in Pocket Word, there's usually enough info displayed for me to decide whether it's worth keeping.
    I use Data Rate Monitor for real-time monitoring of data rates, which vary considerably by particular streams, websites, and downloads. For example, this site rarely goes much above 10 to 12KB, while other forums may be 30 to 40 KB, data downloads are routinely in 100 to 120 range. Streams up to 56KB are generally reliable from Shoutcast, less so from Live365. BBC (using Realplayer) is rarely a problem.
    Mick
    Last edited by MickCole; 05-13-2005 at 02:15 PM.

Well you're living in LA... next time you travel outside of LA try a speed test--especially in the wee hours of the morning.

Dan

Hey I live in LA and I consistently get 300-400 kbit.

Yeah yeah yeah... EV will be a godsend when it's truly nationwide.

Dan

Thanx guys, Mick that was exactly what I was looking for. Well I dont have any email accounts to disrupt my vision, and I had very few cookies as I dont browse that much on my PPC.

I can only conclude that Vision in my area just sucks, which would be consistent with the rest of Massachusetts, LOL.
    iPhone 3GS !!

Come on Dan, I only get to gloat for a little while longer. Don't harsh my buzz.

Odd, at the gym tonight I was able to stream Orb at 60k with no interuptions! Did one of you turn on my vision switch?!?
    iPhone 3GS !!

Do you suppose Sprint is tinkering with the data network in preparatin for EVDO?
    One can hope.

I am having similar problems.
    I love using www.minixm.com and at times, it buffers every 5 seconds, and other times it plays perfectly for hours at a time!

Has anyone else still had this problem, and has "tinkering" with the cookies helped?

Originally posted by IvanLasston
    Hey I live in LA and I consistently get 300-400 kbit.
    Sorry bro......I claim to differ.

I have Verizon's broadband EVDO unlimited package here in LA and it will vary between 67kbps to 402kbps at any given SECOND! I have run http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed back to back to back and EVDO is all over the place!
    Now maybe this is only with Verizon cuz I heard Sprints network will be a dedicated towers instead of Verizon's voice/EVDO towers.

When I play from Orb to my 6600 at 180kbps, depending where I am it buffers and blacks out.
    Verizon xv6600

I stream from www.dogglounge.com all day long while at work, but at like 5pm... I get buffering for about 20 minutes off and on every workday... I guess it's just when people get out of work and use their cell phone and take up my precious bandwidth... No real way around it.
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png