+ Reply to Thread

Do Not Upgrade Your Phone

JUST LIKE EHUD SAID IN ANOTHER POST DON'T UPGRADE UR PHONE IF IT'S WORKING FINE. MY PHONE I TRIED TO UPGRADE IT FROM THE AUDIOVOX WEBSITE (PAGE 2) AND AFTER I FINISH UPGRADING THE ROM THE PHONE DID NOT START ANYMORE. I WAS TRYING EVERYTHING ALL THE ADVICES FROM EHUD AND DAN WHICH I APPRECIATED BUT THE PHONE WAS STILL NOT WORKING....CALL THE 1800 # THEY TOLD ME TO DO EVERYTHING THEY COULD OVER THE PHONE TILL THE GUY GAVE UP AND TOLD ME TO BRING THE PHONE TO A SPRINT STORE. I TOOK THE PHONE TO SPRINT ( 42 ND ST NEW YORK NY) AND THEY COULDN'T FIX IT EITHER, SO THEY GAVE ME A NEW PHONE CAUSE MINE WAS DEAD COMPLETELY....

Now I got a new phone and I ain't touching it no more.

Good advice....

Words to the wise---if you don't know what phone you have, and what upgrade applies to it.....don't do it!
    Jeremiah 29:11

Guys check this out, this is the site for Audiovox

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/s...&beginIndex=21

It is pretty clear that for the VX6600 the only upgrades are for WOC(with out camera) model.

Remember it is usaully faster to Learch and Search first, and then post questions, plus it builds your research skills. I have rarely found flaming others, productive.

that one is for Verizon

mine is Sprint and I know I installed the right one...

Forever Confused
    Originally posted by DUDE2
    Guys check this out, this is the site for Audiovox

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/s...&beginIndex=21

It is pretty clear that for the VX6600 the only upgrades are for WOC(with out camera) model.

Remember it is usaully faster to Learch and Search first, and then post questions, plus it builds your research skills. I have rarely found flaming others, productive.
    That's one of the problems DUDE2. They aren't real clear about the camera. Not everyone knows that woc means with out camera. And in the pdf that you should be d/ling with the update, it states time and again "XV6600".

I’ve done some technical writing in the past, and you “really” need to make things monkey proof.

IMHO, if it is not broken, don't fix it. I see no reason to upgrade unless you are amused by messing with computer problems.
    Sprint: G1000, HTC-6600, 6800, now TP2
    Windroid: Energy.ROM.28244.Sense2.5/Android 2.1
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

Forever Confused
    But then all ya got left is games. Who wants to play freecell for the rest of their lives.

Originally posted by cougargt
    That's one of the problems DUDE2. They aren't real clear about the camera. Not everyone knows that woc means with out camera. And in the pdf that you should be d/ling with the update, it states time and again "XV6600".

I’ve done some technical writing in the past, and you “really” need to make things monkey proof.
    It's not "monkey proof" ....it's "STUPID PROOF"! ( not to degrade anyone ) What I mean by that is to S P E L L everything out clear as day so even the novice can understand.........such as WOC ..."W"ith "O"ut "C"amera. Not everyone are tech savvy!

Z1

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    The only one who doesn't get it signed up yesterday.

See, I'm NOT against newbies. It's newbies who give newbies a bad name. I try to help everybody.

Ehud

But they ARE broken

It's hard to say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" because these things come from the factory with issues.

They are released in what amounts to beta phase and we pay for the right to find their problems for them and then we get to play the "it's not our problem" blame game between Microsoft, Audiovox, Verizon, etc.

For example, it could be hardware, or it could be software responsible for, say the backup battery being at 100% yet swapping the main battery randomly causing a hard reset.

Users are hoping beyond hope that some of the quirks and issues that plague them daily will be addressed in a firmware update. We've been conditioned to accept unfinished goods with the promise things will be made better.

In another industry these types of problems would generate a RECALL, but it's accepted in technology and that's sad.

Now, I knew all this going in and know rules of the game and what I accepted when I chose to play the game, but it doesn’t make me any happier and I can see how people would jump at anything that might "fix" their phone.

Ben

PS not to mention that searching in these forums always SUCKS! How many people (even Dave’s iPAQ review) refer to the Verizon device as the VX6600 (dyslexic much)?

It's the XV6600 but does that mean with or without camera on this forum? Before the camera version I have, nobody specified the WOC part.

How much of the info on the Sprint devices is totally irrelevant to the Verizon ones and vice versa? Yet this forum throws all the 6600 devices together. Searching is far more of a challenge than it should be!

If people could ALWAYS be specific and accurate in posting information, searching could be the panacea every veteran thinks it is. That’s never going to happen though!

However, that is NOT to say that there isn’t a valid beef here. There are TON of LAZY newbies that won’t even TRY to search. But site registration date isn’t all that useful in determining newbies because some people like myself lurked for months (I had the XV6600WOC prior) before registering.
    Last edited by Zottig; 05-15-2005 at 08:56 AM.

i rarely have problems with any of my stuff and i am always upgrading and tweaking. i find that (and i know that i am talking to a brick wall) when you follow manufacturers (the guy that made the thing) directions to the letter, things usually go just fine. like when they tell you to CHARGE THE NEW EXTENDED BATTERY FOR 12 HOURS. oops, there goes my bad attitude again.

Perhaps you will enlighten us. What charger did you use that actually CHARGED the battery for "12 hours?"

(once the light goes green, it's not charging, so the answer better not be "In my phone" or "In my cradle".)

Ehud

my upgrade worked great and fixed all the bluetooth conect issues. I would recomend it
    Check out <a href="http://www.MyXV6600.com" class="normal" target="_blank">MyXV6600.com</a> the only site dedicated to the 6600 series of phones.

"my upgrade worked great"

Which upgrade is that?

Ehud

Less Filling.

Originally posted by bosstone
    worked great

when i went to upgrade it said it was changing the device ce image from version 2.03.00 to 1.36, that is a downgrade am i right? so would that mean i dont want to do this upgrade?