+ Reply to Thread

Question on WIFI SD cards. (I have Socket, what do you have?)

I currently have the Socket Wifi card and i just think it is a real disappointment. It has alot of trouble keeping a connection alive. It would find the network perfectly fine but then after using it for about 2 -3 mins it would just die out and start searching again.

Does anyone else experience these problems with their Socket Wifi Card? Or other brands such as sandisk or linksys?

Are there any programs that you suggest me using instead of the Socket program? My tends to connect to networks NOT in the area i am in. It shows a network that i connected previously in a completely different area as being connected and it goes through the entire list trying to connect to them with they are obviously not available (and marks then as connected).

My Bluetooth is built in!
    I use the socket wifi card also and I dont have these problems. I use the included socket software or a program called hitchhiker that looks good but I havnt gotten a chance to use much. ( http://www.kasuei.com/hitchhiker/ )

The only problem I have with my Socket card is the requirement that I soft reset after plugging it in for it to be detected. Very annoying.
    PPC-6700, Treo 700wx, Samsung IP-i830w, Motorola i580, LG Fusic. Mix well, add accessories, consume.

I believe Sandisk's card is the same refrence design...

maybe their drivers will work?

i'm also having some issues....

Yea i use the included Socket software too... Its as if i have to be within 20ft of the wireless router to have a connection that is strong and lasting.

i'm going to try Sandisk's drivers, will report back

no difference.

does anyone else have problems of slow video playback, poping, etc and the same with audio playback.

Latest drivers, socket card with and without encryption.

Help!!!

Thanks

that sucks... is there a program that works better than the software provided with the Socket wifi card? how is the Hitchhiker Program?

There are several threads discussing the Socket & SanDisk cards... the problems are similar.

The drivers consume virtually all the CPU when operating, making video and audio playback over the wifi interface unsatisfactory or impossible. This will also prohibit the PPC from getting even close to the full 11 Mbps over the interface... my experience with the Socket card is you'll see less than 500 kbps actual end-to-end throughput... sometimes MUCH less.

There are also power management issues with the drivers, and Socket recommends you remove the card when not in use - even if the phone / PDA is off. My Socket card will occasionally fully drain the battery overnight if left in - with the phone in flight mode and the power turned off. There are also issues with the way the drivers co-exist with the drivers that control Flight Mode for the phone and Bluetooth. The relationship is complex and I haven't figured out all the facets of it - most users will see the result as a requirement to soft reset the PPC every time they use the card.

Socket is aware of all these problems - they are discussed at length on their own support forum. Whether they will be fixed is anyone's guess.

Tim

I have experience with two:

Ambicom, which always required a soft reset upon insertion (most of the others seem to, as well). It did just fine as far as I know since it was my first wifi card, it held the connection fine, a little slow on the uptake when i brought the phone out of sleep mode, but worked pretty well. Got it from Compusa, about $85. sucked the battery dry.

I have the spectec card, which is pretty new apparently. I got it from www.impactwireless.ca (not .com, they're canadian). by the way, they got it to me darn quick and it cost me about $84 (after coinversion to $CAN), which is the same as the ambicom. I have never been happier with something that doesn't currently work. I say that because I believe the issue I have is software/driver related, so hopefully can be fixed. Basically, it will work great for about 24 hours, then will not run again upon insertion of the card for some unknown reason. I have reported the problem to both impact wireless and spectec, and someone from spectec has already responded that they will be in touch. So nothing yet, but it's good to know somebody's out there.

Anyway, assuming it can be made reliable with a patch, it has done very well. It is shorter than the others (a little longer than a standard sd memory card) and doesn't have a fat antenna end on it. The size is important to me because i keep it in my wallet when i'm not using it. It is so flat that I'm confident my a$$ won't break it either, not so sure about the longer ones. The signal was very strong, up to 99% if I'm sitting on the couch which is above the router in the basement, even 47% two floors up. It seems to be weaker however at a public wifi hotspot, but good enough to work. can't verify that because i haven't played with it in public much. battery life is a lot better, too. anyway, i will update when this is resolved.

I'm guessing the GSM with internal wi-fi doesn't have this problem.

Its a shame no one can crack one open and add that chip onto the board.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one. Socketès drivers are only 3 months old, hopfully they are still developing them. Are there refrence drivers anywhere which could yeild better luckÉ

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    I've had Socket's card for about a year. Works great with either Socket or Sandisk's drivers -- provided I'm within 20 ft of an AP.

In other words, it's better than 1xRTT, not as good as EVDO, and useless from 20ft and more

E

so an utter waste of money!

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Others have reported hundreds of ft. I've never seen it. It's all a matter of what you want to move in and out of that ppc, Mr. Cohen

E

Originally posted by Ehud
    I've had Socket's card for about a year. Works great with either Socket or Sandisk's drivers -- provided I'm within 20 ft of an AP.

In other words, it's better than 1xRTT, not as good as EVDO, and useless from 20ft and more

E
    exactly... if im over 20ft away from an access point it just drops the signal and picks it back up every other minutes... I find it pretty useless if i have to be that close to an access point, anyone have experience with linksys wifi sd cards? is there a "g" card out there?

I'm getting about the same range indoors with my Socket card as I see with a laptop... about 75 ft. diagonally through 2 floors... it's acceptable.

I'd bet that the GSM versions with on-board wifi have MUCH more tightly integrated drivers between power management and the other two radios and thus don't have many of the issues we're seeing.

This is the first I've heard anything about Linksys having an SD wifi card... I'll see if I can find any more info...

Tim

Originally posted by Ehud
    Others have reported hundreds of ft. I've never seen it. It's all a matter of what you want to move in and out of that ppc, Mr. Cohen

E
    some radio and web browsing is all I would need to make me happy

I'm not asking for much

The range on my Socket card seemed pretty limited compared to other wifi devices I have - so I filed a trouble ticket with Socket. They told me I had a very early version and should send it back and they would send me the latest version. I'll report if there is any change when I get the new one. - sheureka

Originally posted by sheureka
    The range on my Socket card seemed pretty limited compared to other wifi devices I have - so I filed a trouble ticket with Socket. They told me I had a very early version and should send it back and they would send me the latest version. I'll report if there is any change when I get the new one. - sheureka
    I got the "new" one today - and this one can't even find the network with it's less than a foot away from the router. I think they must have sent me somebody else's reject. I'm not happy. - sheureka

Socket 802.11 card P/N 8510-00204A H/W 1.1
    Driver version: 3.01.04.03.0038
    Firmware version: 1.08.04.128

I get similar range to what I get with my laptop. In fact, from my basement I can pick up one of my neighbor's WAPs. Now I don't live in Montana, but from where I sit that must be at least 75-100 yards. (for the curious it's at 6% signal -- basically unusable -- my broadband's prolly faster anyways )

Currently, I'm about 30 feet away through a few walls in a basement and I get ~64% signal @ 11mbps.

How you say? Why, I'm using one of Robert Kim's shiny new 100x range-rocket WiFi Socket Blaster superMODEMs(TM) (with optional extra-nifty stickers)!

Just kidding. For the reference, read:
    Supercharged 660x?

I've always liked Socket hardware back from using their low-power CF card on my Zaurus. Still, it's only been about a week or two, and admittedly, I seldom use the WiFi.

As for the idea of 'adding' the WiFi chip from another BlueAngel-type phone, no dice. It's rumored that the CDMA radio takes up a bit more space than the GSM radio, thus they couldn't fit the 802.11b radio in. I am not an HTC engineer, I just like to repeat unsubstantiated hearsay.

dsl
    Last edited by dslguy; 06-19-2005 at 01:37 AM.
    VZW XV6600WC ROM 2.03.00WWE
    * stock radio, BT, and ExtROM *

Originally posted by sheureka
    I got the "new" one today - and this one can't even find the network with it's less than a foot away from the router. I think they must have sent me somebody else's reject. I'm not happy. - sheureka
    To be fair, I think this may have more to do with my network than the card. I had forgotten I was having some other problems and think it may be time to replace my router (which is about 7 years old!). - sheureka