Solution: use your backup program to restore your device.

History:
After doing a soft reset my device and computer would not sync. Activities done: I put PC in cradle - device not found. 4 hours later after resets, uninstall of ActiveSync 3.8 and reinstall, download and install of ActiveSync 4, a restore of computer, unplugging and replugging usb cable, patting bottom of cradle and airblowing it, and many more tests at Microsoft site, etc etc., result still Failure.

Concluded: If my computer said it recognized the PPC device plugged in, but ActiveSync would not, then the problem = ActiveSync. So I fiddled with the desktop Microsoft ActiveSync for another few hours. (Good thing I did this on a quiet Sunday afternoon with nothing else to do.)

I never thought to test the ActiveSync on THE DEVICE. Tried that with this result: Programs/ActiveSync did not open.

Problem suddenly resolved in less than a minute: Used my backup program to do a Restore. The backup.exe file resides on my SD card.

Next: Put device in the cradle. Computer connected Device and ActiveSync worked.

I really hope my experience helps someone else.

BTW, if this belongs at another thread, Moderators please move it. Let me say I did at the start do a Search here for "Activesync problem" and read through dozens of threads - not one with this answer. And I did do a Microsoft search and after the 8th screen of having to click "I still need help as this did not work" finally found the above solution.

Best.

So did