+ Reply to Thread

Phone Dialer buttons suddenly looking weird

Yesterday, out of the blue, the text color on my phone dialer buttons began to change color:

Right now, they show as black, but they have also shown as a dark red...!

Soft-reset doesn't seem to do anything...
    I haven't installed anything (relatively) recently...

Anyone else seeing this oddity?!
    It seems pretty harmless, but still quite odd...

Matt

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Not completely unrelated, but the phone + unlock icon on the upper-center of the dialer screen is vertically cut in half for the past few days. I have no idea why.

Have you tried installing the XDA Skin Chooser, choosing a different dialer skin, then restoring the default and seeing if it makes a difference?

does the problem occur with all skins or just the default?

Is it a display problem (does it look fine outside the dialer program)?

Are you running Microsoft Voice Command?

Ehud

Hi Ehud,
    I hadn't installed the Skin Chooser on the XV6600, but just tried it. Interestingly enough, no skin changes take effect! When I had my i700, I always liked the Silver Skin, but none of them will "take"... odd...

It does not appear to be a global display issue - just with the dialer...

And yes, I have Voice Command running. I know that app has been identified as the culprit of many an issue with these things. Think that's the case here? The odd thing is, I have never seen this until yesterday. Been running VC on this since early December...!

Matt

Have you soft reset after the skin change?

Ehud

Club Pocket PC Louisville JohnBecker's Avatar
    I don't think the XDA skin chooser is compatible with 2003SE. I tried and it didn't work.

Yes, well it is, and works fine. You may have some other incompatibility but it's not WM2003SE that's the problem.

Ehud

Agree with Ehud--the XDA skin chooser works. You do have to soft reset after activating a new skin. I would recommend putting it in main memory. I loaded the WM5 skin (see below) made by one of our forum members.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Phone Dialer buttons suddenly looking weird-screenshot044.gif  
    Jeremiah 29:11

i've been using xda skin chooser for a few years now. the main problem i've had is pointing to the right directory for the skins. i think its xda skin chooser\skins\bigbutton skin folder.
    put available skins frolders under skins and the phone should see them.

I was never here. Disgruntledtech's Avatar
    Originally posted by mwfielder
    Agree with Ehud--the XDA skin chooser works. You do have to soft reset after activating a new skin. I would recommend putting it in main memory. I loaded the WM5 skin (see below) made by one of our forum members.
    thanks - i wasnt sure if anyone liked that one -lemme tell ya it was a pain editing out the numbers and moving the buttons to match up with wm2003s dialer app. much harder than porting the others. oh and BTW, you dont have to softreset on every skin change. just switch to landscape mode and back again.

as far as the colors thing goes, im interested in what this is. im fairly certain it could be a registry thing. most likely an added key since no one has found it yet.

matt, if you wanna email me a registry dump, i'll see if i can find the magic key
    you can dump the reg using TRE regedit
    http://www2r.biglobe.ne.jp/~tascal/d...etpc/tre_e.htm
    just use file/export -mine came out to be about 495k from a sprint 6600 pm me for my email if youre interested. i'll keep any personal info confidential.
    Last edited by Disgruntledtech; 05-17-2005 at 04:54 PM.

An update:
    I thought it was just the dialer app, but as you can see from the image of Notes below, it is affecting other areas as well, I discovered...
    Kind of random. It doesn't look that way with File Explorer, but in other areas, it is screwy...

Gosh knows what caused it. Something obviously corrupted, and given the cocktail of apps that I have installed, it could be just about anything! I do it to myself!
    I decided to hard reset and restore from my latest Sprite Backup file. Everything is visually appearing back to normal now, though (much to my dismay and anger), the backup did not restore without errors... I've got the majority of things back, but my Today Screen plugins (Spb Pocket Plus, Weather and Diary) did not come back...
    I'm going to try an earlier backup, from last week...

Matt

Perhaps it is your today screen plugins that were responsible.
    Can you restore those manually?

Ehud
    p.s. Are you using Sprite or Xbackup?

I use Sprite Backup Premium.
    Initially I did a restore from a self-executing file that I saved to the storage card. I hard reset again, and this time, restored from a backup that I did via my PC (it was from Monday, but that was okay).
    The restore went much better, however I still had one error: A sharing violation for windows\audioGW.dll

Otherwise, everything (including my Today Plug-ins) restored just fine. I am now getting current via ActiveSync, and heading to work. I will report any further findings later....

Thanks,
    Matt

That's a normal error. I get it every time with the latest sprite backup and the ROM bluetooth stack.

E

Yeah, I did some digging and learned that the audioGW.dll file was related to the BT stack...

BTW, my issues are NOT fixed. I'm experiencing the funky colors with the phone dialer as well as a black background in Notes (as seen above), and in the dialog for many other things.

I'm working a heavy schedule right now, but once I get the time I am going to hard reset and manually re-do everything and see what that gets me.

This 6600 has been the least stable of any of the (8 or so) Pocket PC's that I have owned...!
    I might just jump ship to the i730 when it arrives... I love converged, yet I can't stand instability!
    And to find out that the 6600 is not likely to get Windows Mobile 5, it just adds insult to injury...

Matt

okay guys... I guess I didn't reset the device after applying the new skin. I knew I never had to do that with the i700.

PS Matt... it's not any app that we have in common. Mine is working fine.

Ugh... What a mess. The more apps I open up, the more I discover just how global the issue is.
    Just started a new job, and am relying on my device a lot, yet in some instances, I can't use (view) apps worth a darn!

Look at some screen shots I have to deal with:

And I will add that I average half a dozen freeze-ups of my device every day lately....
    Bad, and getting worse! What timing too...

Ugh...

Matt

Matt,
    I assume you've tried changing themes. Perhaps the theme you have set up is corrupt. If that's not the case and a hard reset doens't fix it, I guess it's time to use the Verizon insurance.

Possibly *too* converged! Gare_NY's Avatar
    If I had to guess, I'd be looking at SPB Pocket Plus - it caused me a whole host of weirdness on my old Thera, so much so that I didn't even bothering with it on the 6600.

Interesting thread for sure though..

Gare
    'In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lay an invincible summer'

Pocket Plus and Voice Command are getting the worst raps on this board....

Both programs do work great on my device...YMMV

Anyway, back to the thread---Dang Matt! That's a serious issue. Let us know if the hard reset without restore fixes the issue. Consider using SK Tools to look at bad registry entries.
    Jeremiah 29:11