+ Reply to Thread

Sprint Text Messaging Qustion

For work I have certain alerts being sent to my sprint email address XXXXXXXXXX@messaging.sprintpcs.com. I get the alert but most of the messages are cut off. I realize there is a certain character limit. Is there any way to receive the rest of the message or have the Sprint system send long messages in multiple parts?

SMS is 160 characters max.

I don't believe Sprint has the option to split up messages larger than that.

Dan

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Note that the 160 includes the subject.

E

I sent one out a few days ago (I believe) that Sprint parsed into two messages automatically. Not sure if this is the case, but I'll test and verify.

I was never here. Disgruntledtech's Avatar
    yeah sprint network is limited to 160 per message but if you type it'll say something like 1200/8 messages at the bottom meaning 1200 characters split into 8 messages.
    when the guys from HTC told us that, we ran a test and sent a 16000 character message that sent as 100 messages -it took forever too.
    this is a phone specific feature -the message is split before its sent. (sprint doesnt do the splitting your phone does) so if your plan doesnt have 2way text its .10 for every 160 characters not .10 for each message.

a word of warning though: the phone doesnt remerge the messages so be careful or you'll fill up the inbox real quick.
    i'd never send more than 2 or 3 'cause it would get annoying for the reciever if they kept getting a txt every 2 seconds 'cause you sent them a massive message
    Last edited by Disgruntledtech; 05-22-2005 at 03:58 AM.

mine always get cut off..... even alerts for flight delays etc....... it is a real annoyance sometimes... but it never comes in more than one message, only get one incomplete one. On sprint too.
    LAK
    Sprint 6800/Mogul
    6700, 6600

Originally posted by FlyGTI
    I sent one out a few days ago (I believe) that Sprint parsed into two messages automatically. Not sure if this is the case, but I'll test and verify.
    I noticed this for the first time the other day, too. I've had Sprint SMS since it came out and this is the only phone I've had that does that. - sheureka

I was never here. Disgruntledtech's Avatar
    thats because its the only phone on sprints network that splits the messages in this way. we had the guys from samsung down telling us about the I600 about 2 weeks after the HTC guys and we asked them if the I600 would split the messages and we had to explain it three different times but when they finally understood, the one guy said "thats a damn good idea. we should have thought of that"

gameboy, incoming messages are still limited to 160 unless they were sent using a 6600 in which case they would get split into 2 or more

From Sprint Support:

Dear David,

I understand that you are not receiving the text messages with all the characters.

Jut to inform you that the maximum limit of a text message is 160 characters including spaces, punctuation and subject headings. Messages
    that are longer than 160 characters will be truncated.

Our technicians are working on this matter. I have forwarded your feedback to the concerned department. In future, we might design a system in which the remaining characters of the text message will pop as a separate message. Till it becomes a reality, we seek your patience and cooperation in this matter.

Have a great day.

Trichjo C.
    Sprint Business eCare

From MSN Mobile I get weather updates everyday, and if it is over the character limit then I get a second message containing what ever didn't fit in the 1st.
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png