+ Reply to Thread

Wireless Sync - Hosted Exchange?

I am sure that issues with Wireless Sync have been discussed in previous articles, but I was not able to find anyone mentioning if the client will work through a remotely Hosted Exchange service.

We are a small company and are looking at using "Hosted" or shared exchange servers through providers like 1and1.

Has anyone successfully been able to get their Verizon XV6600 wireless sync client to work through one of these services?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    EDIT: I know nothing about this The following post describes it better than I can:

E
    Last edited by Ehud; 05-18-2005 at 08:34 AM.

Sickwidit
    If it's a hosted exchange system and they are running exchange 2003 there is not other software needed as long as the host has server sync setup on the server. I know plenty of people using vx6600's with hosted exchange providers. all yo uwould need is the account info to put into activeysnc on the device.
    Eric Hicks, Microsoft MVP, Mobile-Devices
    My Devices
    Four PPC6600's, One PPC6700, Three PPC6800's,One Treo 700w,One Jas Jar,One Pantec Duo,One T-mobile Dash...Do I have too many devices?

Are there a recomended 3rd party Exchange 2003 service that is working successfully with the Verizon Wireless Sync App?

I have tried 1and1, and there was errors durring the sync process.

Actually you shouldn't need the proprietary Verizon app if things are setup correctly with Exchange 2003.

Originally posted by cybrwulf
    Actually you shouldn't need the proprietary Verizon app if things are setup correctly with Exchange 2003.
    The problem is that I do not have a local Exchange 2003 server. I am using a 3rd party where you connect remotely via the internet. They do not support Blackberry or Verizon PDA's. My goal is to have the Calendar, contacts, email sync directly through VZW.

Right now I have a local PC set up with POP access. Email Sync is fine via POP, but I do not get the wireless sync benefits of calendar / contacts / tasks.

If you know how that can be done please let me know...
    THANKS!

If the co. that is serving your hosted exchange offers it, then it's possible. Look for something like:

Outlook Mobile Access
    With Exchange 2003, you can view and update your contacts, calendar, tasks and email directly from your compatible cell phone, PDA or mobile viewing device

Altho Tasks won't be possible till WM 5.0.

So the answer is YES - if they offer it. If not, you might have to use VZ's app.
    Check out my iAdviseMe (IT Advisories), i9erNews (49er news), iGreen (Green News) or my iGossip (celeb News) Apps at: http://www.iadvise.me/

Is VZ's app better than the ActiveSync built into Exchange? And when you say VZ's app, are you talking about the one that monitors your computer (individual user) or monitors multiple users on a server computer?

The Verizon rep is trying to get my company to use the VZ app, but it keeps sending multiple messages (like 10 copies of every message).

They also say that VZ's app is more like a real push, where as Exchange Activesync is more like a tricked push using an SMS message. is this right?

Sickwidit
    VZ app is no better than exchange and as matter of fact isn't as good as exchange because you need to have mail accounts mapped to the Vz application. Plus VZ app uses the same sms trigger as exchange. It's all marketing, if you company has an exchange server use that and ditch the VZ app.
    Eric Hicks, Microsoft MVP, Mobile-Devices
    My Devices
    Four PPC6600's, One PPC6700, Three PPC6800's,One Treo 700w,One Jas Jar,One Pantec Duo,One T-mobile Dash...Do I have too many devices?

Exchange is better, cause it lets you make changes to your calendar and contacts on your ppc and then sync them on your exchange, while the other just lets you see them.
    Check out my iAdviseMe (IT Advisories), i9erNews (49er news), iGreen (Green News) or my iGossip (celeb News) Apps at: http://www.iadvise.me/

Thank you for everyone's Advise. I did not previously realize that Activsync was an alternative.

The hosted Exchange server I am using is 1 and 1. When I mentioned ActiveSync, they said that it was fully supported.

Made some changes on the desktop, added the exchange address and I am now syncing with contact/calendar/inbox.

Added benefit! Since I did not need the wirelessysnc app, I uninstalled it from my PPC and it seems to be MUCH more stable. only had 1 reboot

Thanks for all of the advice