+ Reply to Thread

Wink WARNING! Ambicom SDIO Wi-Fi Shortcoming

You heard it here first. DO NOT place your Ambicom Wi-Fi SDIO card into warm, agitated, detergent-laced water for an extended period, then expose it to high temperatures in a "tumbling" environment for another extended period. You may find the results of this "technique" disappointing.

That's right - this weekend I washed and dried my little perfectly functioning Ambicom Wi-Fi card after it served me well on a recent trip across portions of Europe (including Skype calls!). Looks like I'm in the market for another card. I don't suppose attaching a large block of wood to it (like the local gas station restroom key) would be a good way to prevent forgetting about the SDIO card in my pocket, would it?

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    In which parts of Europe did your PPC-6600/PPC-6601/XV6600 work?

Any part that had A Wi-fi access point. Some examples include: Hotel in Munich, Garmisch, Saltzberg, Paris and restaurants in the same locales. Train stations between Munich and Paris. Charles DeGaulle Airport. Probably others I've forgotten.

I've tried Skype on my xv6600 with a Socket SDIO wifi card but the results weren't very good. Kind of choppy audio etc. Did the Ambicom work smoothly with Skype?

I have a good one for you.. I could not find one of my sd cards.. I was looking here and there for weeks...It was pissing me off.

I was taking things out of the dish washer one day and for some reason I checked out the filter in the bottom. To my surprise, there it was.

It works..
    M

Originally posted by capteeou
    I've tried Skype on my xv6600 with a Socket SDIO wifi card but the results weren't very good. Kind of choppy audio etc. Did the Ambicom work smoothly with Skype?
    The Ambicom worked well about 1/2 the time. On calls where it worked, it worked pretty much as good as any wireless connection. When it did not work well, the overriding problem was people not being able to hear me . . . at all . . . like my Mic was dead. Although I didn't analyze it much, this problem seemed to coincide with low bandwidth situations.

At $0.02/minute, 50% Skype was the cheapest thing on my vacation!