+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Verizon New PRL causing battery life issue?

My XV6600 has been running along reasonably fine until yesterday morning. I decided to update the PRL using *228 and received PRL 50314. Since doing this, my XV6600 has been sucking the life out of my batteries (regular battery and Mugen Power 2200 battery). I am only getting standby times of about 3 hours out of a full charge on my regular battery and about 4 hours with the extended one.

I have also noticed my phone switching between 1X and EV on the upper status bar. I am in a 1X area and never had it do this before the update. I am wondering if it is being forced to poll the network more often?

Talked to Verizon data technical support and they said they have never heard of this before. Said they can't do anything to help. Suggested I get some new batteries!

Anyone have an older PRL I can load using ##775?

This sucks!

Thanks,
    Brian

Will Verizon send you a PRL file? I've been able to get an (older) non-EV Verizon PRL, but haven't located one that has the EV-DO SIDs in it.

If you manage to get one, please let me know... I'd be interested in checking it out.

Dan

No, the data support person I talked to said he couldn't do that (right!). He said I would have to take it to a local Verizon store and a technician there may be able to do it. Unfortunately, it usually involves about an hour of wait time when ever you have to visit the stores around here.

I will keep you posted should I get one that has the EV-DO SIDs in it.

Can I get a copy of the older PRL file you have?

Thanks,
    Brian
    Last edited by baysailor; 05-18-2005 at 04:38 PM.

baysailor--

Yeah I'll find the link, but if I were you I would not load it on your phone. From my experiments with the Sprint 6600, the combination of EV-DO radio firmware (HA01_140) and a non-EV PRL caused the phone to not be able to find service. The only way to get a signal was to either feed it an EV-DO PRL or flash down to the non-EV-DO firmware (HA00_140).

If you were to load this older PRL with your current radio I think you'd be even more stuck than you are now, but all the same you can try it if you want to.

You can download Verizon PRL 50018 in this thread (attached to the first post):

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...t=48493&page=1

Dan

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!

Re: Verizon New PRL causing battery life issue?

I have the same 50314 PRL and haven't had any battery-related issues since getting ~2 weeks ago.

Originally posted by baysailor
    My XV6600 has been running along reasonably fine until yesterday morning. I decided to update the PRL using *228 and received PRL 50314. Since doing this, my XV6600 has been sucking the life out of my batteries (regular battery and Mugen Power 2200 battery). I am only getting standby times of about 3 hours out of a full charge on my regular battery and about 4 hours with the extended one.

Fully Converged, painfully at times Kreigz's Avatar

Re: Re: Verizon New PRL causing battery life issue?

Originally posted by backbeat
    I have the same 50314 PRL and haven't had any battery-related issues since getting ~2 weeks ago.
    I had a problem similar to baysailor a year or so ago with my i700. Updated the PRL and battery life went to the dogs. Did a hard reset, and everything went back to the way it was before.
    The XV6700 is a lot like democracy: They're both less than perfect, but they're the best available ... as far as Verizon is concerned.

Re: Re: Verizon New PRL causing battery life issue?

Thanks for the info... that tells me the PRL 50314 probably isn't the specific problem. I wonder if the PRL 50314 has good information for your area and incorrect info for mine. We are supposed to be getting EVDO soon (next month or two) so maybe this combined with updated info could be contributing to the problem for me? Maybe this could account for me seeing it keep switching from 1X to EV for a few seconds and then going back to 1X on the upper status bar?

I will try a hard reset as Kreigz suggested (I really should have tried that before posting the original question ).

Interestingly, I have always had exceptionally poor standby battery life when in Deltaville, VA (on the Chesapeake Bay where I keep my boat). I always attributed this to being in what I considered to be a fringe area. But until now, it was isolated to that area and never in my home area (Richmond, VA). And it was this way with my first XV6600 too (this is my second one due to an unrelated issue). For what it is worth, my i700 always does fine for battery life in the Deltaville area. I have gotten to the point now, that I usually swap ESNs on my account before heading down there and take the i700. Hate to switch back to my i700 full time!

Regards,
    Brian
    Last edited by baysailor; 05-18-2005 at 05:51 PM.

Re: Re: Re: Verizon New PRL causing battery life issue?

Just remember that roaming/extended coverage areas will suck the life from your battery as well, at twice/+ the rate of normal digital use.

Originally posted by baysailor
    Interestingly, I have always had exceptionally poor standby battery life when in Deltaville, VA (on the Chesapeake Bay where I keep my boat). I always attributed this to being in what I considered to be a fringe area. But until now, it was isolated to that area and never in my home area (Richmond, VA). And it was this way with my first XV6600 too (this is my second one due to an unrelated issue). For what it is worth, my i700 always does fine for battery life in the Deltaville area. I have gotten to the point now, that I usually swap ESNs on my account before heading down there and take the i700. Hate to switch back to my i700 full time!

Regards,
    Brian

Could be the PRL+location.

Hypothetical: Under the old PRL he was near a close cell. Under the new PRL there's a "more favorable" cell which is further.

Has your signal strength gone down?

E

I was thinking the same thing...I too have 50314 (recent update) and have not seen battery issues.
    Jeremiah 29:11

Geek
    Any difference between #228 and #22899? I know the 99 has no prompts, but the Verizon guy I talked to said it is the one they should use on all the PDA Phones.
    Dan Kunz - XV6600

Re: Re: Re: Re: Verizon New PRL causing battery life issue?

Just remember that roaming/extended coverage areas will suck the life from your battery as well, at twice/+ the rate of normal digital use.
    That's only for analog roaming, which the 6600 doesn't do anyway.

Dan

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Verizon New PRL causing battery life issue?

Will the 6600 be completely without service on Verizon's Extended Network for America's Choice(2) then?

Originally posted by luv2chill

Dan

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Verizon New PRL causing battery life issue?

Originally posted by luv2chill

Dan
    In digital CDMA coverage, the tower will tell the phone to ramp up power if the frame error rate or signal is not good enough.

If you're far enough away from a tower you WILL increase your power because the tower will tell you to do so...

Ehud

Originally posted by Ehud
    Has your signal strength gone down?
    E
    No, signal strength appears to be about the same.

I do have some other info though... I did a hard reset as Kreigz suggested, didn't setup anything on it (generic) and the battery consumption was about normal (equal to pre PRL 50314 consumption). Of course during this time I never had a data connection because I hadn't resetup syncing with my Exchange server.

Next I setup my normal Exchange configuration (sync every 30 minutes during default peak times and every hour during off-peak times). This means my phone has a dormant data connection most of the time. With this configuration my battery consumption is much greater than it was pre PRL 50314 and the same setup. No it is consuming about 18-20% per hour (no talk time). My phone is definitely going in to dormant mode, as phone calls ring through properly.

As previously stated, I am still seeing it frequently switch from 1X to EV for a few seconds and then back to 1X again (I am in a 1X area). It didn't do this with the previous PRL.

I think Ehud is right in that it is a PRL+Location issue. And I would add that it has something to do with incorrect data in the PRL for my area that makes the phone think it should keep trying to aquire an EVDO connection.

All very odd... I will see if I can get the local Verizon guys to give me a file of the previous PRL.

-Brian

yeah, Brian, the constant switching of EVDO to 1X is quite strange and agree that is where your battery issue is. 50314 is not doing that in my area (a strong EVDO area). Hopefully they have a prl that will do you right.
    Jeremiah 29:11

I am having the same issues

I am having the same issues where vx6600 keeps on switching from 1xRTT and EVDO and causing my battery life to shorten. Where you able to find anything from the verizon store? If i reload the firmware from the Audiovox website do you thinkt that will reset it to prior updates of the *228?
    <a href="http://www.nobrainerdeals.com">NoBrainerDeals.com</A>

Originally posted by mwfielder
    yeah, Brian, the constant switching of EVDO to 1X is quite strange and agree that is where your battery issue is. 50314 is not doing that in my area (a strong EVDO area). Hopefully they have a prl that will do you right.
    I talked to Verizon data support a couple more times. They agreed this was probably the issue and sent me to the local Verizon store to get a previous PRL loaded. I went to my local Verizon and they said they don't have the cable to support these phones (this is supposed to be a major Verizon store w/ a team of techs!!!). Told him I had a USB cable in my car, he said it wouldn't work. I asked about the other local Verizon store, he said they don't have the cable either. I asked about getting the file (had my USB flash drive with me), he said he couldn't do that either and that I would have to call data support back.

Called Verizon data support back and explained the issue with the local stores... He said they couldn't give out the PRL files either. The tech I talked to said he wished he could do more, but there wasn't anything that could be done. He suggested I wait until a new PRL update comes out that I could download over the air. Talked about sending me another XV6600, but this won't do any good because I will have to do a *228 to program it once it arrives... which will cause the latest PRL to be uploaded.

After all this, I did go ahead and try the 50018 PRL (non EVDO) that luv2chill pointed me to, as predicted it hosed the phone to the point that it wouldn't even lock on to a tower making it unusable. I thought I could rerun the Audiovox update and it would put an older PRL on, but while the update was successful, it still had the bad PRL. I looked around a bit and finally thought to download the installation program for a Sierra EVDO Wireless card (the Verizon download) and extract the PRL file from that. This PRL allowed me to restore service to my phone. From here I was able to do an over the air update back to PRL 50314.

Knowing I now had an easy way back to 50314, I just reuploaded the PRL from the Sierra Wireless install on to my phone and will see how it goes with that. Interestingly, under the Device Information the PRL version comes up as 00000, but all of the phone functions and data services are working properly with it.

Will keep you posted.
    -Brian

Re: I am having the same issues

Originally posted by whatnoob
    I am having the same issues where vx6600 keeps on switching from 1xRTT and EVDO and causing my battery life to shorten. Where you able to find anything from the verizon store? If i reload the firmware from the Audiovox website do you thinkt that will reset it to prior updates of the *228?
    I tried this and it didn't work for me... see my previous post.

Nice work, baysailor. I would have never thought the the PRL file would be included with the aircard install.

I will download it myself and check out the PRL... wonder what version it *really* is? Anyone have the Verizon version of the 580 card that can tell us?

Glad you got your phone working again baysailor. I think it's truly pathetic how tight a grip VZW keeps on its PRLs...

It's pointless, too, because with most phones you can easily extract the PRL using a program called BitPim... unfortunately it won't work with the 6600 but works with most CDMA phones.

Anyway, kudos to you for doing what VZW couldn't.

Dan