+ Reply to Thread

Have I hit the processors limit???????

To all the pro's out there............
    On my Verizon XV6600 (camera version) I started loading 3rd party software in this order.....
    1. SPB pocketplus 2.5
    2. MS Voicecommand 1.5
    3. Journalbar 4.0.2.2
    4. OliveTree Bible
    5. Calligrapher
    6. Phatpad
    7. Scarybear check notifications
    8. Resco Utility Package
    9. XDA dailerskinchooser
    10. Last but not least..Photocontacts 2.0

Is there a utility program that shows you the ACTUAL programs that are using your systems resources in %'s "at any given MOMENT"? Kinda like CTL- ALT- DELETE gives you a snapshot of your CPU usage in %'s on Windows XP?

I always get the error message" Cannot open xyz program. A critical component is either missing or cannot start because program memoryis unavailable.."..ect.ect.ect.

When I look in my "memory" it says I still have 31 to 35 MB of program memory and 31 to 34 of main storage memory.

I run BT and the phone all day as my buss is very demanding.

Anyway I would do a occasional softreset maybe once or twice a day if my unit froze up or there was a hick up.
    If something wouldn't open I'd just softreset and open it ......kinda annoying.
    Well after installing Photocontacts.....I think it's reached it's processors limit!!!! I had to soft reset the 6600 at least 10 to 15 times today?!?!?!?! It would freeze for no apparent reason??
    And if I was calling out as someone was calling in with photocontacts going..freeze! Also the answer and ignore buttons in Photocontacts are sometimes in the middle of the picture of peoples faces????? Normal glitch or insufficient processor power or memory????

Any ideas? Is my assumption correct? Is there a utility that wilol let me see what programs are using up the processor and maybe toggle them off?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Z1

Have you been using Calligrapher for a while? I seem to recall some issues with it on the 6600.
    Jeremiah 29:11

Yeah!!! I had it config'd to start after soft reset cuz it wouldn't load from programs pull down . Other than that it has been working flawlessly!
    Like I said didn't have TOO many issues till I loaded photocontacts. I don't thint it's PC just maybe system overload??????!?!?!??!?

Z1
    Verizon xv6600

Check out this writeup

http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/tec041501.html

Alas Windows CE suffers from the same fate. Point being, doesn't matter how much free memory is reported, once your shared memory fills up, you can't load any programs.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! SAY it isn't SOOOOOOOOOOO!
    I still have to load a GPS program!!!!!!!!

So I have to pick between which programs I want to keep????
    Verizon xv6600

You can keep whatever you want loaded, you just have to soft reset to load different software. I found the same was true with Netfront and Webis mail. I got rid of those programs becuase I got tired of soft reset just to use it.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    You're not running into a CPU limit.

XCPUScalar shows you the %CPU used every second. Its free download is sufficient to prove what I said in the first sentence.

Your problem is an application conflict. I'll give you a hint how to solve it:
    1. It's in my fast faq and has been there since day 1.
    2. If you check my posts from today, look for the phrase "Do you have XXX installed?"
    3. It's made by the worst software manufacturer in the world.

Deinstall the software in question. Reboot. Watch your troubles go away.

Ehud

OK...E I'll give it a shot!
    Thanzx
    Z1
    Verizon xv6600

I ran into this problem after I installed certain programs to the storage card. After I re-installed that program to the main memory it went away. Just a thought....
    Sprint PPC-6601

You may have it a process limit depending on how many your 3rd party programs require.

See the article here:
    http://www.pocketpcdn.com/articles/services.html
    http://www.mtekk.com.au/browse/page612.html

Here's an excerpt:
    The problem comes in that the Windows CE operating system limits the number of processes running to 32. For example, in XDA II Pocket PC devices, 28 processes automatically start running immediately after a soft-reset, thus leaving you with only four possibilities for new processes, which limits the number of programs you can run.
    I think there is a program called MemMaid that will let you look at running processes, but I'm not sure.

I have 25 processes running after softreboot.

Theres a feeware task manager from PHM you can use to view your processes.

Just read a article on Memmaid and it looks pretty cool! Are there alot of you using it?????? I see robplatt you have it. Will this help me out to par down things?
    So it sounds like this is a "RESOURSE memory" issue????????
    A processes limitation issue??????
    A MS VC resource HOG issue?????? ( Can't live without MSVC tho! )

Z1
    Verizon xv6600

Memmaid is really great. Had a few other system cleaners, but this one is terrific. I also have SKTools, use it to uninstall, but Memmaid is well worth it! Does so much more than just cleaning.
    Last edited by Catman51; 05-19-2005 at 07:59 PM.
    SteveM
    Sprint HTC EVO 4G