+ Reply to Thread

Deleting/removing cab files

I recently downloaded and installed the DK Today plugin suggested by SpineDoc.

After using it for a while, I decided I dont like it and want to get rid of it, but can't figure out how.

It was a cab file, which I transferred to my storage card via active sync and then clicked on while on the pda. It did the rest of the installation itself.

How do I get rid of this thing?

By the way, I did some hunting in the windows folder of the pda, and found a file titled "Derek's Software DK Today.unload." This sounded promising, but when I clicked on it, it merely gave me properties, not anything helpful.

I swear I did searches on this forum, looked at the FAQ, even went to Ehud's site. So before I get scorched for this, please, I did my best.

Thanks in advance,

James

So it is not showing up in the "Uninstall Programs"?

If not, you can try this:
    Go to today plugins and uncheck it.
    Using file explorer, go to the programs folder and delete it (the whole folder)
    Using a registry editor (caution!), go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER, Software, and delete any entires that have DK there. Do the same for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

For most programs that will do the trick. If it installed any other folders, you'll need to search for those and manually uninstall as well.

By the way, the .cab file is gone. When it installs, the cab file itself is removed.

You can also download SK Tools, which has an uninstaller program within it that does a nice job.
    Last edited by mwfielder; 05-21-2005 at 09:00 AM.
    Jeremiah 29:11

Thanks for replying so quickly. For a quick fix, I went to the Today plugins and unchecked it like you suggested, which I probably should have thought of myself.

The DK Today plugin was not listed in the programs folder, so I cant get rid of it there.

And I am embarrassed to admit I dont know how to simply "uninstall" the program. I could not find the normal "add/remove programs" section on the pda like I have on the computer. I did notice another post asking about that several days ago, but there had not been any replies.

In any event, the short term fix is nice, at least now the program is not on my Today screen. But any more specific steps on how to remove it without a registry editor (which I will do if I have to, but think there is probably an easier way once I am less ignorant) would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

James

Originally posted by jgriffithslaw
    And I am embarrassed to admit I dont know how to simply "uninstall" the program. I could not find the normal "add/remove programs" section on the pda like I have on the computer. I did notice another post asking about that several days ago, but there had not been any replies.
    Two ways to do it - when you're synching go to add/remove programs on the tools tab (though some cab installed programs can't be removed that way). And on your PPC go to settings,system, and then remove programs. I always soft reset, and then run something like MemMaid (great little program for lots of things - and less than $12) to get rid of the dregs. - sheureka

CabInstaller, free program from SK, available all over the place. It installs to wherever you want, then deletes cab.
    SteveM
    Sprint HTC EVO 4G

The key to uninstalling the plugin (and any other Today plugin) is to uncheck it from the Today settings and soft reset FIRST... then use whatever uninstall method you'd like. If it loads onto the Today screen, simply uninstalling won't work because the plugin's files will be locked.

Tim