+ Reply to Thread

HELP: Flickering Screen - hard reset didn't work

My PPC-6600 started flickering last night, not sure why. I haven't added anything to it, but it won't stop flickering - goes bright and then dark and won't stop. I've tried to soft reset, hard reset, took the battery out... I'm on my way back to the store (I've had it for 2 months). Any one else have this problem?

Melissa

I've owned this basic device under two different iterations, first, the pda2k (GSM) and now the PPC6600 (CDMS) and I've never seen or heard of a flickering screen until now. I suspect your problem is going to be hardware related and will probably require a replacement unit under warranty.

My suggestion is that you take it back where you purchased it and show them what its doing and get a replacement unit.

R

Thanks, R.

The device works, but strangely, when I try to use the camera, it won't load - says there's an error with the shortcut.

When it's not flickering (which it does almost constantly), there are a bunch of horizontal lines on the screen - I'm not technical, but it looks like something is afoot with the refresh rate.

Alright. This is disappointing.

Thanks for your help...

Again Melissa, this sounds more and more like a hardware issue and the resolution is going to be to exercise the warranty and get it repaired or replaced.

R

Administrator
    take it back. hope you have the insurance...

yep, i sure do have the insurance - when i ditched my home phone and bought this one, i decided the insurance was worth the extra five bucks a month. would i even need to use it at this point? clearly the unit is still under warranty, no?

There is a one year warranty. Verizon just replaced mine because I had battery issues. There was no arguement at all that it was to fall under warranty replacement, so I didn't have to use my replacement plan.

i had a similar problem, then got my phone replaced with a better one. verizon is great and timely with their customer service/replacements
    Check out clickclickPOP! for the most breaking pocket pc news. Click. Click. POP!

I returned the phone today and got a new one. There was a bit of wrangling - they told me I would have to wait a week to get one of the reconditioned ones (which I would have taken). When I became irate ("WHAT?! I paid $600+ (pre-rebate) for this phone 2 months ago, and $100+/month in service, I DEMAND satisfaction!"), they decided to give me a new phone. I couldn't see the screen, and the phone also stopped ringing.

Apparently, Sprint's policy is that if you can get calls, you can wait for reconditioned phone; if you can't get calls, you get whatever's in the store (usually brand new in the case of high-end phones, because they don't have a ton reconditioned ready for resale/switching out). So they would have preferred that I wait until a reconditioned one came along (so as not to waste a brand new phone on me).

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Really, Melissa, knowing you as little as I do, I happen to know that...

Since you can't see the keypad, you can't CALL 911!!!!

SO... Sounds to me like if you can't call 911... and you can't accept any calls without seeing the caller Id (for fear of stalkers), you need to get a new phone

Ehud

E -

I agree completely. In fact, I could make out the screen if I held the device at the proper angle. But who wants to use their phone like that?

I also would have broken out the tears, if necessary. I hear that approach sometimes works.

Anyway, now I have a brand new phone, and it's so exciting (though nothing's actually changed...).

m.
    Sufficit huic tumulus, cui non suffecerit orbis.