+ Reply to Thread

Newbie Help? Voice Command and Wired Headset

I'm thinking about buying a PPC6600, but I am concerned with the talk I have heard that Voice Command does not work with a headset. I don't like BT headsets, but I do use a wired one all the time. Does Voice Command work with a wired headset?

Thanks,

JB.

Re: Newbie Help? Voice Command and Wired Headset

Originally posted by jessica_boxer
    I'm thinking about buying a PPC6600, but I am concerned with the talk I have heard that Voice Command does not work with a headset. I don't like BT headsets, but I do use a wired one all the time. Does Voice Command work with a wired headset?

Thanks,

JB.
    VC will work fine with a wired headset.

I doubt that you will be able to utilize the "button" on your wired headset to activate the VC command link, however, you will hear VC outputs and be able to utilize the mike on the wired headset to issue commands once VC is activated.

Good Luck,

Bob Duckworth

Just curious, not being a very technical person, I'm wondering why it would work with a wired headset but not BT?

Well it's a very technical answer, because to accomplish wirelessly what normally requires a copper wire is complicated. For whatever reason, the bluetooth software that runs on Pocket PCs was not written to make use of that feature... therefore it doesn't work and won't work without re-writing the software.

Let's hope that MS and Broadcom get their acts together and fix this sometime soon. It's truly pathetic that a freebie Nokia or SE handset can voice dial over BT but a $700 flagship Pocket PC phone cannot. It's an inexcusable oversight, in my opinion.

Dan

I would've guessed that by inserting the jack into the plug, a circuit is closed in the hardware that disables the mic in the handset and enables the one in the headset. But to the software, there's no change - it's just looking for the mic.

With a BT Headset, there has to be specific code written to access the mic, which is part of some of the BT profiles (ie - headset), but is only activated on certain events (outbound call, inbound call, etc...), and the profile never had the hook to activate the mike from any other event (ie - button push).

Just my WAG...
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter