+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SDIO SpecTec WIFI card

I just received this card.

Just a quick staus.

It sticks out only 1/4 inch.

It installed pretty good. Didn't know what to do until I rebooted.

Comes with a little applet that does not work. But is not needed and I don;t know what it does.

Signal strength is a little weak but ok.

I have not checked for updated drivers.

Post with Ppc6600 over wifi

I updated the drivers and the applet now works and is a nice diagnostic tool.

i've had it for a few weeks now, and it has been an on and off thing for me. It never once has installed smoothly. I have tried various drivers, from spectec's site as well as eastgear (i'm sure they're the same thing, but why not?) But the drivers have never installed completely. It always hangs on "setting registry entries". There is also nothing related to it under "Remove programs", which I'm guessing is because of the hang on install. So if I ever want to reinstall, I haveto hard reset. It sometimes does not require a soft reset to recognize the card insertion, sometimes it does. I could swear that it picked up a stronger signal when i first got it. I work in downtown dayton ohio, and the entire city center is a wifi hotspot. A few weeks ago I could pick up the signal in my office, but after numerous reinstalls it seems to have weakened. Same goes for my home wifi, which is via a linksys wrt54g with unmodifed firmware.

Do you mind sharing the version numbers of what you have?

Here's my specs:
    driver 1.24
    utility 2.32.4.2005 (from the About screen on the applet)
    rest in my sig

The only thing I have done is update the rom for wmp10, but that was before i got the card, so i doubt that means anything.

What programs do you use to manage wifi (wififofum, hitchhiker, etc.). Do you have an opinion as to the best way to go, and if so how can you get rid of the spectec app?

any thoughts are welcome, i'm happy to run tests on mine if you want to see something on another device.
    ppc6700 (R.I.P. 6600)
    Sprint

I've only had it a little while.

I'm running 1.24 Drivers.

Both times when I installed it, I forgot to have Active Sync running first, and started when it prompts just before install.

But it seemed to go too fast.

So I copied the CAB file from C:\Program Files\Dopod

And manually installed it.

First time with 1.23 and the WLAN app would not run.

It Hung once on a weak signal.

Then I upgraded to 1.24

When I reinstalled a DLL was locked. So I popped the card and rebooted and then it installed ok.

Now the WLAN app works.

I have not had a hang yet. But I've not had it that long.

I knew I was going to compromise range for the small antenna so I'm ok with slightly degraded signal.

I'm not using anything for WIFI management except what is built into phone or came with the SpecTec.

I also experimented with shutting bluetooth off since there is rumor these interfere.

I'll give an update after using it at work tomorrow.

Just picked up this card today, but am having the driver install freeze at the "Setting registry entries..." message, sigh. Anyone figure out what to do?

i have had the same problem installing both via activesync and directly on the ppc via the cab file. It never finishes completely and requires a soft reset to get rid of the progress bar dialog box. Also, there is no entry in "remove programs" so I don;t know how to uninstall without a hard reset. Seems to work okay, albeit kind of clunky because it does connect but won't always show the little icon next to the B/T one.

Anyway, I emailed spectec. They had never heard of a ppc-6600, and apparently google was down because they asked me to send them the specs. I got a reply basically telling me to download the new 1.24 drivers (which I had already done). I don't know if it is appropriate to post email addresses here (or I can always PM), but maybe we can all ask them so many questions about the 6600 they'll have to fix it.
    ppc6700 (R.I.P. 6600)
    Sprint

Yeah I noticed that I could connect to my wifi even after a failed install. Of course the wifi app does not work, with an error message of: "Can not open control channel!!"

Feel free to post their email as I will send one also.
    iPhone 3GS !!

andrew@spectec.com.tw

they sent me an email saying that our phones should be compatible, and that they have successfully tested it with wm2003se. But obviously not on a ppc-660x or they could tell us what "could not open control channel" means!
    ppc6700 (R.I.P. 6600)
    Sprint

I dont have a spectec branded card, I bought mine from www.eastgear.com and it has no branding on it whatsoever. It is just black and says SDIO wifi on it. On the eastgear site it says it is a "Computer Devices" brand, but obviously it is a Spectec rebranded.

http://www.eastgear.com/shop/product...roducts_id=370

I did send Spectec an email anyway, since it is their card rebranded.
    iPhone 3GS !!

i don't think the branding matters anyway. i also sent an email to www.impactwireless.ca, where i bought it, but they never responded. mine is branded as spectec, and i have used everyone's drivers. the drivers appear to be the same.
    ppc6700 (R.I.P. 6600)
    Sprint

Bad news.

The whole day went pretty smooth.

Then I had the phone just sitting next to me and when I went to pick it up it had the Calibration Screen up !!! (and you know what that means, it hard reset).

I've never had unintentional Hard Reset and I did nothing to this phone except add this card in the last day.

I may try to send the card back. I don't have time for them debug it on my time.

Oh yeah that WLAN utility stopped running again. The only reliable way I can get it to run it is, Reboot with BlueTooth on, then shut blue tooth off and then start WLAN. It's as if BlueTooth reserves something it needs and then frees it.

that's a new one on me, but i don't use bluetooth. the app does suck, and I am looking for a way to get rid of it without screwing up the driver. I would like to just use wififofum or something, but I haven't had time to play with that yet.
    ppc6700 (R.I.P. 6600)
    Sprint

okay, here's some stuff i have learned tonite.

1. i spend way too much time with this kind of crapola

2. wife starting to notice that too

3. spectec driver 1.22 seems to give me a stronger signal

4. the wlan utility apparently works fine, it's just how you access it that gets clunky. i have it pinned to the start menu, but that only works to start it up initially. from then on, i have to go to the icon on the today screen.

5. don't need the utility anyway. i always thought it was part of the driver. when it got flaky on me as mentioned in #4, i started looking for driver upgrades, and lost the next two weeks of my life

6. when the card is connected to a wifi network and the 6600 goes to sleep, it requires a soft reset to wake up. Even then, it will take some time to acquire an ip, but works fine after that. Moral of the story is to pop the card out if it's going to sit for a while.

I will be all giggles tomorrow if the downtown dayton area hotspot is stronger like my home hotspot is apparently due to the driver. I'm going to enjoy the free wifi while I can, because I am apparently the only one remotely interested in it on the square.

Now if I can get freakin' Orb freakin' working, I won't get anything done at the freakin' office.
    ppc6700 (R.I.P. 6600)
    Sprint

My Bluetooth is built in!
    Originally posted by btrcp2000
    i don't think the branding matters anyway. i also sent an email to www.impactwireless.ca, where i bought it, but they never responded. mine is branded as spectec, and i have used everyone's drivers. the drivers appear to be the same.
    The guy who runs impact wireless posts on HoFo. Here is his info if you cant get in touch with them http://www.howardforums.com/member.p...oster&t=642808

1-877-578-7355
    Last edited by BryanHarig; 05-26-2005 at 01:03 PM.
    PPC-6700, Treo 700wx, Samsung IP-i830w, Motorola i580, LG Fusic. Mix well, add accessories, consume.

thanks for the contact info! I'm not sure they could do much other than send me to spectec or be the middleman between me and spectec, so I'll hold off on that route for now.

Anyway, now that i understand more of what is going on with this card and how it works in a ppc, I think I'm okay. The applet it comes with will eventually crap out and die shortly after it is installed. What I mean is that if i insert the card, give it a second or two and go to "network cards", it will show that it has connected to something (provided it is a "preferred" hotspot of course). Then if I go and try to start the applet, it will give the "control channel" error, flash briefly, and go away. But apparently the card is working just fine in the background with or without the applet. The only downside is that there is no quick way to see what kind of signal i'm getting.

I have wififofum running, but there appears to be no way to quickly get to it. It doesn't show up as a program, just an .exe in a file folder, so I can't assign a button to it or pin it to the start menu. So it's lots of clicky clicky tappy tappy to get there.

Anybody have a better program to manage wifi connections?

Also, I think I can confirm that i get a stronger signal (YMMV) with the 1.22 driver, which I believe came on the cd. No install has gotten the applet to work reliably. It will be fine for about a day, then it will never start again, but apparently the card works without it.

This card is clunky and I wouldn't recommend it to someone who's not willing to put in the time, but I'm happy with it now that I know the workarounds. For me the size and better battery usage is worth it.
    ppc6700 (R.I.P. 6600)
    Sprint

You can manually add any .exe file to your start menu. Here's how:

1. Navigate to the folder containing the .exe file using File Explorer.
    2. Tap and hold on the .exe file and choose copy
    3. Navigate to \Windows\Start Menu\Programs (or just \Windows\Start Menu if you want it to be in the root of the Start Menu)
    4. Hold down the stylus in a blank space and choose Paste Shortcut.
    5. Have a beer celebrating a job well done.

Dan

Well Ive gotten no response from either Spectec or Eastgear, so am quite bummed that this killer card is flawed by crap drivers/software.
    iPhone 3GS !!

i wonder if you tried installed either Sandisk or Socket's drivers if it would detect and work...

Good news. Eastgear, the vendor I bought the card from, has replied:

Hello,

We have contacted the manufacturer and they informed us they are working on a
    fix for the PPC6600. We will inform you as soon as it becomes available.

Regards

Derek

Customer Care & Product Support
    iPhone 3GS !!

yippee on the fix!

dan-

thanks for the start menu tip, very helpful. Although I didn't follow your instructions the the "t". I had the beer first. So far, no hard reset, though, so maybe it is unaffected by beer. Heaven knows I'm not.
    Last edited by btrcp2000; 05-27-2005 at 09:37 AM.
    ppc6700 (R.I.P. 6600)
    Sprint