+ Reply to Thread

leave email on server?

I use my XV6600 (verizon) for 3 different email accounts, however I'd really prefer to leave mail on the server (so I can reread it and download at home). using wireless sync isn't an option (I don't think) since I only have a laptop and it's not connected when travelling (ie. when I need email most). Is this possible? I can't find an option for "leave messages on server" like in normal outlook.

Thanks
    Alex

If you are using pop access, it does leave the mail on the server.
    Jeremiah 29:11

Okay, I guess I wan't clear enough. When I delete the message from my 6600 I don't want it to disappear on the server, just on the pda. Does that make sense? In other words, I can delete messages all day on the 6600 and then come home and download all my messages via outlook fat client (XP laptop).

Thanks

This is what I do. I access my comcast.net, yahoo.com, and swbell.net email via the 6600 using pop access (like pop.comcast.net). I configure my email accounts via the messaging program on the 6600. I don't use an exchange server. I can receive the emails via the 6600 and delete them. Then I can come home to the laptop, open up Outlook, and the emails will download to the inbox (still on the server).

What settings are you using?? When I download my messages via POP and delete them on the 6600 then disappear from the server as well. Thanks!!

Which email client are you using?

I'm using typical settings, downloading the entire email, sending mail with authentication, etc...

From Outlook on your laptop, it takes the messages off the server, correct?

I suspect your issue is with your email server.

On the 6600 I'm using the built-in client. At home using Outlook2k3.

Correct, at home it pulls the messages from the server. The issue isn't with the email server since I can do this just fine with my wireless palm just fine (and have for literally years).

Strange. I reviewed my settings, and nothing special seems to be there. Are you leaving the domain box empty? (I don't know if that will change anything.)

Anyone else having this issue?

Found this link---maybe it will work for you in reverse.

http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...articleid=5136

Re: leave email on server?

Originally posted by openhelix
    using wireless sync isn't an option (I don't think) since I only have a laptop and it's not connected when travelling (ie. when I need email most). Is this possible? I can't find an option for "leave messages on server" like in normal outlook.

Alex
    Actually you can use Wireless Sync for POP access and POP access only. Before I moved the ActiveSync, I used the Wireless sync to track both my work and home Email.

1) Go to https://www.wirelesssync.vzw.com
    Set up your email accounts
    There is a "ADVANCED" button that will let you add the selection of "Leave Mail on Server"

You will have to set up all 3 POP Accounts individually, but that can be done from the "Accounts" tab in the main wirelesssync page.

2) On the other computers that you are downloading the POP mail from, outlook will let you leve mail on server for 1 day before deleting. If you select this you be assured that wirelesssync will never miss an email.

Let me know if this works for you, I had it set up with out a problem.

You shouldn't need to use wireless sync... I do exactly what you're looking to do with the pOutlook client that ships with your PPC, and direct access to my POP server.

As you're reading your e-mails on your PPC, you can delete, move, etc. and it will not affect the message queue on the POP server - UNTIL you "Empty Deleted Items". Once you empty deleted items, pOutlook will delete the emptied items from the POP server the next time it connects. There are no special settings in pOutlook to enable this behavior - it's the default.

This is the way I use my PPC for e-mail... sounds like it'll meet your needs: I have pOutlook set up to check e-mail every 20 minutes - you could go with a shorter interval but you may find it starts bumping calls to voicemail when the PPC is moving data. As they're received, I read through the e-mails and anything I want to read later, file on my PC, etc. I move to a folder called "Keep". Any spam, stuff I don't want to look at again, etc., I delete. Every so often I empty my deleted items on the PPC, and that saves me from having to look at spam and such twice. When I get back to my PC, I fire up Outlook, and it retrieves all the e-mails I've moved to "Keep" on my PPC. After Outlook gets all the keepers, I select "Clear <my account name> E-mail" on the PPC and it cleans up pOutlook so I only have one copy of the keepers, on the PC where they belong.

Tim

Thanks Tim, your post cleared up this issue for me. I was having problems figuring out why my mail would sometimes be there, and sometimes vanish. Thanks! I was a lurker, but now a poster....
    Dewaine James
    http://webpages.charter.net/jamesplace
    http://dewaine.blogspot.com