Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Pee PC boiling my blood

okay, I just got my Pee-PC6601 yesterday UPS from lockline.

i have a number of issues with this little fu%^er .

a) it took the Sprint store a little over half an hour to get my voice working (activate the phone). they tried all kinds of little ##12345 combinations and could never find an activation wisard. now, I bet DATA will take forever to make work; it says "Can't connect because you have no modem entries or network card not present" or something like that... i'll call them later and will more than likely have to go to the store again.

b) the damn thing's aluminum face is too slippy to grip. Plus, the plastic on the back (battery) is annoyingly slick as well. the G wasn't like this!

c) I HATE the plain-ness of the today screen. it's EMPTY! I miss the "Sprint" bar that has the battery icon and the location icon like the G had, in addition to the little 6-button launcher that it had. are there any programs to "clutter up" the today screen, or at least add something like the G had???

d) it hurts my hand to hold

Re: Pee PC boiling my blood

Originally posted by latinopikachu
    okay, I just got my Pee-PC6601 yesterday UPS from lockline.

i have a number of issues with this little fu%^er .

a) it took the Sprint store a little over half an hour to get my voice working (activate the phone). they tried all kinds of little ##12345 combinations and could never find an activation wisard. now, I bet DATA will take forever to make work; it says "Can't connect because you have no modem entries or network card not present" or something like that... i'll call them later and will more than likely have to go to the store again.

b) the damn thing's aluminum face is too slippy to grip. Plus, the plastic on the back (battery) is annoyingly slick as well. the G wasn't like this!

c) I HATE the plain-ness of the today screen. it's EMPTY! I miss the "Sprint" bar that has the battery icon and the location icon like the G had, in addition to the little 6-button launcher that it had. are there any programs to "clutter up" the today screen, or at least add something like the G had???

d) it hurts my hand to hold
    a.) I've not seen that... you sign up for
    3G/data plan at the same time? Seems like its not-privisioned. Perhaps somebody else here can comment. Short of that, keep bashing Sprint.

b.) www.egrips.com

http://www.egrips.com/catalog/produc...roducts_id=552

c.) http://pocketpcthemes.com/popular.aspx

Umm.. search the forum for other cluttery-programs. I'm not a fan of them myself.

d.) That, alas, I have no immediate solution for.

Byron

I was never here. Disgruntledtech's Avatar
    gonna have to talk to sprint for the fix to A
    prolly have to talk to tier2. its usually a network thing so unlikely that you'l find a fix here
    -the store techs rarely know how to program a PPC -youre luck to have made it out of there with the device in 1 piece

i dont understand the grip problem your having -it should be easy to grip compared to the G since it weighs half as much.

the today screen can become just a cluttered as you want it to be. i use powerlevel III but i think the majority uses SPB pocket plus (too much clutter for me)

d) get a BT headset
    Create DialPad Skins for your 6600 with SkinGen

You also might check your connections tab - my Sprint connection occasionally gets lost and I have to go back into connections and reset it. Have no idea why. - sheureka

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Have you considered the Treo 650?

Ehud

lol
    Jeremiah 29:11

Originally posted by Ehud
    Have you considered the Treo 650?

Ehud
    hahaha

Ahhhh Ehud.. I love knowing somebody in this world is more bitter then I am.

edit: Though I will add I'm religious about using search. You want to see out of control? Check out www.dpreview.com forums.
    Last edited by bfaber; 06-21-2005 at 05:36 PM.

Want to know what's worse?

Get this thing through Verizon on a corporate account...

They screwed up the bill and changed my previous i600 account with data plan to a minutes ONLY plan... AND because of the lousy volume issue, I need to get this thing replaced... and only our corporate point of contact can do that... so here he is... with 170 of our employees with phones...plus over 30 data only setups in our mobile trucks/vans... trying to walk through all these accounts...and the verizon rep.... won't touch any of this... she's "new accounts only".... or as we say in Texas...

Lazy

latinopikachu, the 660x is better than the G1000 in everything except maybe durability! Give it a chance, stop looking for problems and just enjoy the fresh breeze that is a PPC with more than 32 megs of ram and doesn't feel like talking into a cinder block...
    Tom

well, I happen to like my old cinder block. i miss the phone dialer from the G... and I wish they wouldn't call it god damn "Flight MOde" because I won't ever be on a plane... although the Pee PC might fly if it keeps pi&^ing me off..

ANOTHER issue i've discovered is that I can't even lie on my bed and talk on the phone; if you hold it 2-3 ft above, the signal bars go to 3 but the conversation sounds like crap, dropouts, etc. and just try even getting a signal while lying down.. the G never did this to me... served faithfully until that last day

Techie in a Cowboy Town
    I'm sure there are G's available on ebay ...

Fuzzy
    Fuzzy
    Kyo 6035, Sam I300, Sam I330, Kyo 7315, Treo 600, Sam I600, Sam I700, GL1000, HP6315, SX56, PDA2K, Jam, Xv6600 W/cam, Treo 650, I730 Wm2K3, Treo 700W, I730 w/WM 5.0, XV6700, Moto Q (Silver), Treo 700WX, xv6700 wm6, Moto Q Black, Moto Q9m, Sam I760, xv6800, xv6900, Q9C, Touch Pro, iPhone 3G 16G, iPhone 3gs 32G ... not even gonna list the non converged units

I use an old G for a boat anchor....
    Jeremiah 29:11

Talking

Originally posted by mwfielder
    I use an old G for a boat anchor....
    i hope its a big boat, you could capsize a small boat trying to pull up an an anchor that size.

if the 660x is known as the harrier then shouldnt the G1000 be known as a the c130 hercules ?

ok, I'll stop now

Originally posted by latinopikachu
    well, I happen to like my old cinder block. i miss the phone dialer from the G... and I wish they wouldn't call it damn "Flight MOde" because I won't ever be on a plane... although the Pee PC might fly if it keeps pi&^ing me off..

ANOTHER issue i've discovered is that I can't even lie on my bed and talk on the phone; if you hold it 2-3 ft above, the signal bars go to 3 but the conversation sounds like crap, dropouts, etc. and just try even getting a signal while lying down.. the G never did this to me... served faithfully until that last day
    Wow...You are really just looking for things to be wrong with this phone. You're upset because it says flight mode??? Who cares what it says.

And lying on your bed and talking isn't the phone. This phone has better signal than anything I have ever had.

Find you a G on ebay and sell the PPC...
    :butterfly :karate:

DLD

Exactly. Hell I have my G1000, famous as the unit I used for developing SMS Monitor, you can have it for $150 + ship. Screen always had a screen protector and unit is basically mint. If you really hate the 660x that much lemme know.
    T.

Originally posted by NinjaMom
    1. You're upset because it says flight mode???
    2. Who cares what it says.
    3. And lying on your bed and talking isn't the phone.
    4. This phone has better signal than anything I have ever had.
    5. Find you a G on ebay and sell the PPC...
    1. yes, because it just sounds f-ing retarded
    2. I do
    3, 4. then explain to me why each and every call I have made with the POS has faded out, JUST because I happen to walk to the other side of the room? I can't even turn my head for fear of it fading! Data is even WORSE. the only time it has ever been reliable in this week I've owned it is when I'm on the freeway riding in the car. and even THEN. It will be at 4 bars, and then suddenly say "Searching..." or be stuck at 0 bars, and drop the connection. I was sitting at a table yesterday; it would drop the connection if I had it under the table (hidden from view). Signal would be at 4 bars, I move a little to the left and the signal would DROP to "searching..." !!!!! Most of the time that stupid "(R)" appears and the phone says "Digital Roaming." needless to say this has been EXTREMELY, EXTREEEEEEMELY aggravating. Good old G ALWAYS had a signal! ALWAYS, god damn it, even in the cooler at work! calls barely had a skip while in a shopping mall garage stairway (concrete) so don't tell ME that it has a good signal! you can take that nonsense and do you know what with it. this phone's profession is DROPPING CALLS.
    5. that's EXACTLY what I plan to do. EXACTLY.

i spent a good portion of the morning on the phone with Sprint on Saturday. Turns out, that STRAIGHT out of the box from SPRINT, with nothing else installed, my Pee-PC-6601 wasn't set up as a Sprint phone. it didn't have the carrier customisations, it was a blank version of Pee PC Windoze 2003. After a ##786# or whichever the hard reset one was, it installed the Sprint customisations and after entering the ##MSN (instructed by Sprint) or whichever 6 digit number it is, I was able to get to the activation wisard. After IOTA started, Vision worked (although unreliably, as outlined in #3, 4). i tried hard resetting (##786#) and doing it all at least twice (NO apps installed, whatsoever), and the voice and data unreliability and "signal fading because I turned my head" still kept up. needless to say I'm really tired of this phone. fine, 128mb of RAM and being able to flip your screen is fun, but I need the reliability and durablity (plus an ANTENNA) the good old boat anchor G had. flaws and all, it's fun, and big. the keyboard is easier, too. OH, and I can press END and actually have it kill the connection to the internet. Did I mention that the G also has a camera?

Oh, kids, tell me something. Don't you think the password dialogue, in addition to the welcome wisard and dialer, look CHEAP compared to the one on the G? I was shocked when I first turned the phone on and saw the horrible font/graphic... HORRIBLE.

Originally posted by d2tw4all
    Exactly. Hell I have my G1000, famous as the unit I used for developing SMS Monitor, you can have it for $150 + ship. Screen always had a screen protector and unit is basically mint. If you really hate the 660x that much lemme know.
    T.
    how is the battery? what accessories does it come with? I don't wanna get in trouble with Lockline, should THIS G die.... Does it still sync with A/S?

And another thing, will you ship it with SMS monitor installed?
    Last edited by latinopikachu; 06-26-2005 at 07:03 PM.

Well, I for one can't wait until you get another boat anchor back. Then you can quit taking the Lord's name in vain and yelling at all of us that can work our PPCs. Mine is flawless.

DLD

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    What, he said "L. Ron Hubbard" or was it "Xinu"???

E
    (just a Tom Cruise joke)

Originally posted by Ehud
    What, he said "L. Ron Hubbard" or was it "Xinu"???

E
    (just a Tom Cruise joke)

DLD

Oh, kids, tell me something. Don't you think the password dialogue, in addition to the welcome wisard and dialer, look CHEAP compared to the one on the G? I was shocked when I first turned the phone on and saw the horrible font/graphic... HORRIBLE.
    ok the password dialogue may be different-i dont lock my phone and i've never locked the G. but the welcome wizard looks cheap!!?!?
    you're talking about the stylus calibration and the copy/paste howto?
    ITS THE EXACT SAME!
    and the dialer skin?
    you gotta be kidding me -its nearly identical to the G's dialer (and just as easy to replace -i made about 20 skins for the thing search this site for them)

but its obvious you dont want to fix your 660x you want another boat anchor so i propose a more constructive solution:

i say we take up a collection of 1 dollar from every person thats tired of hearing 'latinopikachu' whining about about his 660x and get him G1000 so he will go back to the G1000 forums.

If we dont get enough money we can buy some stuff to make his 660x feel more like his G.
    things like:
    1. one of those signal booster stickers to stick on the battery (they have about the same effect as a antenna on a digital dualband device)
    2. some superglue to glue the 660x permantly open so it'll never again fit in any pants pocket (except for pants sold to 14 year olds at the local mall)
    3. some sand paper to scrape over the 660xs camera lens to make it as grainy and distorted as the g1000s camera
    4. 2 or 3 Lbs of fishing weights to glue to the back to fully recreate the G1000 experience

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast