+ Reply to Thread
    Euphorically Confused

Lion 3550 and compatible cases

After a lot of searching and endless reading, it still seems to be fairly unclear as to which cases will fit the v.3 3550 battery from Lion Batteries.

It does seem to be clear that the stock case that comes with the phone will accomidate the new battery, but there are mixed reviews on other cases.

I would like this thread to be a sounding board for people who were successful in getting the 3550 in a case. Please also be descriptive in what it took to get the case to fit and whether or not you lost some functionality (keyboard would not slide). It would also be good to add whether or not the case accomidates the ppc-6600 camera and is cut for the flash.

Also, any pictures would be fantastic to give people a true sense of what the fitted case looks like.

Thanks in advance and hopefully this will help a lot of people as I know more people will be buying these extended batteries.

I said in another thread that I have fit mine into the EB, the Krussel and shocking to me, the Piel Frama. They are snug, but I've lost no functionality whatsoever.
    SteveM
    Sprint HTC EVO 4G

Euphorically Confused
    Thanks for the reply. I remember your post. Am I correct in assuming they are all flip open style cases?
    Custom Apache AKU 3.5 roms and rom kitchens available
    ALWAYS FLASH BACK TO AN OFFICIAL ROM BEFORE TAKING YOUR PHONE IN FOR SERVICE OF ANY KIND
    If you have found me helpful or would like to support the developers of roms and apps that I use, please Donate

Pretty much, the Krussel can be used through the clear plastic cover. It snaps up, to the back instead of down like the others. The other two are flip open. EB is magnetic and Piel Frama snaps down.
    SteveM
    Sprint HTC EVO 4G

Here's something interesting. The 3550 fits in all the cases I've mentioned.
    Just tried it in the stock Sprint case, and that's the one it won't work in!
    SteveM
    Sprint HTC EVO 4G

No chance the 3550 would fit in a Brando, is there? I'm waiting for my Brando and also need a high-capacity battery.
    Last edited by vanshmack; 06-22-2005 at 11:55 AM.
    My history of convergence:

Audiovox Thera 2032 (mid-2004)
    Samsung i700 (9/2004-6/2005)
    Verizon XV6600 (6/2005-1/2006)
    Sprint PPC-6700 (1/2006-Present)

PPC6600 ROM=1.36.00 Ext=1.36.113 MannieBothans's Avatar

Not a chance.

Originally posted by vanshmack
    No chance the 3550 would fit in a Brando, is there? I'm waiting for my Brando and also need a high-capacity battery.
    No. It won't.

Works fine in my stock Sprint nylon horizontal case, though.
    Just switched from PPC6700 to AT&T Tilt.

So what's the final verdict, I'd hate to order something that won't work for me. What case works with the 3550 Battery?

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    G1000, Catman seems to have already answered your question.

Originally posted by Catman51
    I said in another thread that I have fit mine into the EB, the Krussel and shocking to me, the Piel Frama. They are snug, but I've lost no functionality whatsoever.

Euphorically Confused
    I have a Krusell Handit flip case and the 3550 fits fine in it.
    ALWAYS FLASH BACK TO AN OFFICIAL ROM BEFORE TAKING YOUR PHONE IN FOR SERVICE OF ANY KIND
    If you have found me helpful or would like to support the developers of roms and apps that I use, please Donate

I ordered the Krusell medium universal. It fits, but it's tight, very tight, if it was a bit fatter, it would be perfect, but it does the job.

I just use the case that came w/ the phone, after a little stretching it now works fine.
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

Originally posted by colonel
    I have a Krusell Handit flip case and the 3550 fits fine in it.
    So do I and I love it, but the hole for the camera feature is definatley misaligned.

As a note of interest.....I had the plastic keyboard cover start to tear because the 6600 is a little top heavy. So I put a 1" x 1/2" piece of velcro on the back of my 6600 and epoxied the other piece of velcro to the velvet corresponding part of the Krussel case and it solved that problem. Especially cuz I have it hanging off the windsheild with a 9" Akron arm, this solved the tearing problem.
    Verizon xv6600

Even though I use the standard case w/ my 3550mAh battery I may need to find a more stylish one as today was the 1st time I used my PPC6600 to stream music and browes the web non-stop all day at work, so for just over 8hours straight today I was jamming and my battery is currently at 24%. Now I did go to lunch for 30 minutes and gave it a nice top off while in the car the whole time. so streaming for 8 hours w/ only a 30 minute car charge, I have to say I love this battery....
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

Converged all over the place
    Colonel, I am really curious how you managed to get the 6600 with the 3550 into the Kressel Handit case. The hump on the back seems to preclude getting the phone into the case.

I am looking at getting the Kressel Horizontric. Has anyone used this case?

Euphorically Confused
    It takes a little time and stretching, but eventually it will fit fine. there are two snaps on the case I have so you can overload it and it still closes. My case is stretched to the point now that I use the closer snap and still have the PPC with the 3550, 7 credit cards, and money stuffed between the PPC and the case at the top in a suedo money clip. It works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by colonel
    After a lot of searching and endless reading, it still seems to be fairly unclear as to which cases will fit the v.3 3550 battery from Lion Batteries.

It does seem to be clear that the stock case that comes with the phone will accomidate the new battery, but there are mixed reviews on other cases.

I would like this thread to be a sounding board for people who were successful in getting the 3550 in a case. Please also be descriptive in what it took to get the case to fit and whether or not you lost some functionality (keyboard would not slide). It would also be good to add whether or not the case accomidates the ppc-6600 camera and is cut for the flash.

Also, any pictures would be fantastic to give people a true sense of what the fitted case looks like.

Thanks in advance and hopefully this will help a lot of people as I know more people will be buying these extended batteries.
    I have an EB case, flip design, that I am using with my 3550MA battery - it is a tight fit but it has been working for me. I keep it clipped to the edge of my front jeans pocket in the case . The cut-out for the screen gets a little stretched wide with this, and the case has to be broken in for it to stretch a tiny bit to fit. I can even slide the PDA up to reveal the keyboard, but it is hard to use the keyboard without removing the phone from the case.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lion 3550 and compatible cases-0201062142a.jpg   Lion 3550 and compatible cases-0201062142.jpg  
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16