+ Reply to Thread

Troubleshooting EV/1X Connectivity

To the users in the "soon to be EV" areas:

I get the EV/1X icon switching in the S.F. Bay Area, ever since updating to the 50314 PRL.

Curious if anyone has gotten any "data" to work while in the "EV" network? When my phone is in EV, I've learned that I have no internet connectivity at all. Half the time it will revert back to 1X and everything will work again, other times it will sit on EV until I reset the phone.

Only thing I've read so far was to talk to Verizon about adding the "EVDO feature code" to my account. That was added but unfortunately did not help.

Anyone run across this problem, anyone have any good catch phrases like "EVDO feature code" to ask Verizon techs to check on? Or is EVDO just flat out not ready yet, and I should revert to an old PRL for the meantime?

Thanks!

You need to call VZW Data - 866-788-9387 and raise holy hell with them. If you're unable to utilize the data plan for which you are paying, they owe you something in return.

This is rumored to be the precursor to EVDO data switch-on in areas that are having this problem. Bet your battery life is biting the big one right now as well. Others have reported battery life problems with this PRL and the EV/1X back-and-forth routine.

Good Luck,

Bob Duckworth
    My cellphone is smarter than your honor student.

Verged on converged
    Bob's right. I suffered with 3 hour battery life here in Cleveland (rocks) until they actually turned on EVDO. My display would alternate between EV and 1X. Tech support was clueless and couldn't understand how this could affect battery life. Of course they also had no clue as to when or if EV would be turned on in my area. I also had to reset often to get any data connectivity. Then about a week after this started, EV magically started to work.

It's cool when they finally turn it all the way on, but they could sure do better on their rollout procedures!

Oh yeah, just like everyone else, the battery drains 382% faster (not scientific) and I'm willing to accept this until the full rollout... I'm just completely anxious to witness this miracle I've heard so much about... something called wireless broadband. Maybe I'll give VZW Data another try later today, thanks!

Originally posted by rh1138
    Oh yeah, just like everyone else, the battery drains 382% faster (not scientific) and I'm willing to accept this until the full rollout... I'm just completely anxious to witness this miracle I've heard so much about... something called wireless broadband. Maybe I'll give VZW Data another try later today, thanks!
    It's truly a miracle when the system is unloaded. Fine when loaded at 200-400 kbps. One fine afternoon at DFW, I must have been pushing 1+Mbps. Pages were loading faster than my desktop on the cable modem at home. Alas, it was too good to last. Next day speeds were back to the usual.

Enjoy,

Bob Duckworth

Forever Confused
    Right now I have an open ticket on this same issue. Not only doesn't it connect to the internet. But sometimes you can't get or make phone calls. Which wouldn't be so bad, but every now and then it locks on to EV. I've checked during these time to find that in the system info both the PRL and ESN are "N/A". Which means you ain't gettin in or out. My last call to Verizon (6-21) had me trying a hard reset. It help for awhile. but as of about noon (6-22) it was doing the same once again. So I guess I'll be back on the phone with them again soon.

I called today, because I wasn't in an official EVDO area, the rep couldn't help me. I pressed a little harder to get resolution, I was then promptly transferred to Data Tech Support (which I thought I was talking to) but actually received the consumer V-Cast support. V-Cast support transferred me to Mobile Office support where I waited for about 20 minutes before hanging up the phone.

I read on evdoinfo.com that the 27th would be a big rollout date. Guess I'll sit tight until then.

Good luck with that open ticket, if you get resolution, would be glad to hear how it was resolved!

rh1138: My PRL is 50319...

I'm in the East Livermore area. Nationwide plan though. I see the 1X/EV switching, particularly when at low signal strength. As others have been reporting, my battery (mugen 2200) is getting eaten alive. Can barely get thru the day now. Reception has degraded at work (nearby) as well.
    John

Forever Confused
    Just got off the phone with Verizon again. After going through 2 standard batteries in only 10 hours of "VERY" little use for 3 days straight. They've decided to replace my phone.

Just an update with my phone:

Yesterday I managed to get to Tier 2 of VZW's Data Tech Support. After taking my information down, they were about to send me to Tier 3 when they kicked my case back down to Tier 2 for more troubleshooting.

Apparently the built in dial-up connection (which they called "connectoid"), #777 to Verizon sometimes can be buggy, and asked for me to create a few test connections and use them for a few days. Even though the #777 is correct, and the user/pwd is correct, it can still be buggy.

A little dumbfounded by how it could be buggy, I'll go along for a ride with this solution and see if I continue to have problems.

Also, a Tier #1 rep told me, she's seen problems like this go away after doing a #228, opt #1.

Maybe a few things to try for those with similiar problems and still desperately seeking solutions.

i had this same problem, i called and after a few hours on the phone it all of a sudden started working again.
    they said "nobody changed anything on your account"

in any case now it works, but in order to connect i have to soft reboot my device. a regular connections gets messed up.
    Tanguy de Courson