+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation Distinctive Ring / Caller ID Ring: New Info

I know this has been talked about before in several threads many times. So, rather than post this message in all those threads, I thought I'd start a new one to make it easier.

I believe I've made a somewhat major breakthrough in the distinctive ring area. I just got my new PPC6600 about a week ago having upgraded from my G1000. And, for the last year, have spent several hours (in vain) trying to get this to work on both phones. However, I just got something to work and thought I'd post it here to see if I'm just crazy and/or some of those PPC developers out there can make use of this.

On another thread, I read about Potala Telly and its distinctive ring features. So, I tried it. I also read that once unintalled, some distinctive rings stuck. It so happened, this was the case for me as well. This indicated to me that there was something not related to Potala Telly that is doing this. It may already be built in or part of the Windows Media Control for Pocket IE that Potala Telly required. I downloaded PhatWare's Pocket dbExplorer and PHM Registry Editor to go looking for what it might be.
    As it turns out, the contact that still had the distinctive ring had an extra field in the Contacts Database that listed the ringer I had picked. So, to test the theory that this new field was the culprit, I added (through Pocket dbExplorer) that new field to another contact and typed in a value for another ringer. When that contact called me, with the phone off (i.e. hit the power button on the top), the ringer I specified went off instead of the default.

So, this all tells me that it's either a hidden feature built in to PPC 2003 SE or it came with Windows Media Control for Pocket IE (which I doubt). For those of you wanting to try it, and possibly write something to make use of this, here's what to do:

(OBLIGATORY DISCLAIMER: I do NOT take responsibility if you screw up anything while trying this. If anything happens, it's your fault, not mine.)

1. Download and install PhatWare's Pocket dbExplorer. Can find it on Handango and PocketGear.
    2. Run dbExplorer and open the Contacts Database.
    3. Look for a contact that you want to set a custom ringer for. You can do this by selecting a text field and using the right arrow icon at the bottom to go from record to record.
    4. Once you've found a contact, click the Add button.
    5. Set Property Type to TEXT. Set Property ID to 2.
    6. Make sure "Create a new record" is NOT checked and click the Next button.
    7. Type in the path to your custom ringer. Example: "\Windows\Rings\MyRinger.wav" (without the quotes). As far as I can tell, it's not case sensitive.
    8. Click the Finish button.
    9. Click the Ok/Close button at the top right until you've completely exited dbExplorer.
    10. Optional step, soft reset your device.

And that's it. It has worked for me. I'm really interested to know if it works for anyone else. If so, then I'd be interested to see if anyone can write a quick app to make use of this "undocumented" feature.

Of course, if I'm unique, crazy or missed something somewhere, feel free to tell me that too.

Cheers,

Gunner

Very interesting pickup--I use Photo Contacts myself, so I don't need the setup. But I would be interested in seeing if this works for others. Maybe if Photo Contacts doesn't work on the i730, I'll give it a whirl when I get it...
    Jeremiah 29:11

Gunner,

Worked for me. Thanx, I've been trying to figure that out for the longest. Not able to write an app though; sorry. The only problem I have is that while I'm scrolling through the text fields, I'm not able to see ALL of my contacts. I see a lot of them, but there are still a great deal that I don't see. Any suggestions? Thanks again.

I'd be interested in this:
    Do a Sync. On your desktop (i.e. non-pocket) PC, open the Contacts. Open a Contact that has a distinct ring set. Look through all of the different fields offered for that contact and see if the path for the ringer file is on one of them (maybe a User Defined one?).

If it is, there's your easy way to set the path to the ringer without anything complicated...

Let us know. Thanks.

Apollyon

Originally posted by Apollyon
    I'd be interested in this:
    Do a Sync. On your desktop (i.e. non-pocket) PC, open the Contacts. Open a Contact that has a distinct ring set. Look through all of the different fields offered for that contact and see if the path for the ringer file is on one of them (maybe a User Defined one?).

If it is, there's your easy way to set the path to the ringer without anything complicated...

Let us know. Thanks.

Apollyon
    Well, I just went looking through my Outlook 2003 contacts after syncing and could find nothing that would indicate a custom ringer or that particular field. I compared those contacts with custom ringers and no custom ringers and found no significant difference between them.

I have however noted that on occasion, when a call comes in from a contact with a custom ringer, sometimes the phone doesn't recognize the number as being a predefined contact. So, it only shows the number and not the name. When this happens, of course, no custom ringer. This has only happened a couple of times though, so I'm not too concerned about it.

Any other ideas, I'm more than happy to entertain.

Medley of Extemporanea

This is probably obvious....

Umm.. When I installed PhotoContacts v1.20.CAB on my 6600, I could then assign photos to contacts and they showed up on caller id. I can also asssign a ring tone to a contact. Basically I select a contact and then a dialog box appears and asks me which audio file to associate with that contact. It's been working just fine for me.

I also assigned the address book button to the photo contact application. It also supports dial by picture which is kind of cool.

Try it, I think it does most of what you are looking for.

Re: This is probably obvious....

Originally posted by i500
    Umm.. When I installed PhotoContacts v1.20.CAB on my 6600, I could then assign photos to contacts and they showed up on caller id. I can also asssign a ring tone to a contact. Basically I select a contact and then a dialog box appears and asks me which audio file to associate with that contact. It's been working just fine for me.

Try it, I think it does most of what you are looking for.
    Actually, I posted this information because it seemes to actually be a built in method of distinctive ring. I have been hearing alot about PC 1.2, but haven't really tried it yet. I'm not too interested in the photo part personally.

But, I did get it installed and checked on the ringer portion of it and it does not make the same changes to the Contacts Database. I'm going to be testing it out today and tomorrow to see how my method above and this app work together.

Let us know...
    Jeremiah 29:11

I don't know if it has to do with the issue you pointed out, but my caller ID is often very slow to match the number with the Contact, also. And the only thing I have loaded after a hard reset is PhoneLock.

Apollyon

IceGunner -- I think I may have to try to find some time to try this out. At the time I noticed the 'lingering' affect, I had assumed that some DLL had been left installed, so I have long since hard-reset my unit. I'd be interested to see if this works on an entirely pristine unit.

Does everyone else have their photos flickering??
    :butterfly :karate:

DLD

Registered User EnnuiEnthusiast's Avatar
    Originally posted by mshappe
    IceGunner -- I think I may have to try to find some time to try this out. At the time I noticed the 'lingering' affect, I had assumed that some DLL had been left installed, so I have long since hard-reset my unit. I'd be interested to see if this works on an entirely pristine unit.
    I've got it installed with a relatively clean setup. I installed Ehud's 2.03 ROM today, so I don't have much in the way of old dll's. I have FlexWallet and PhoneAlarm installed (plus the demo version of dbExplorer.)

I don't seem to have any "lingering" effects. I get the distinctive ring when a call comes in for the 2 or 3 contacts I've set up without any problems.

Interestingly, when I entered a file name that didn't exist (c'mon - you've never made a typo?) I got the default ringer, which I think is pretty cool.

Good hack! I realize that there are packages that will do this for me, but I'm always a fan of the freebie approach: 1) It's free. 2) I get to learn something cool 3) Did I mention that it's free?

I'll keep testing and report back if I find any problems.

A tip of the hat to IceGunner. Nice job!

Re: Distinctive Ring / Caller ID Ring: New Info

Originally posted by IceGunner

On another thread, I read about Potala Telly and its distinctive ring features. So, I tried it. I also read that once uninstalled, some distinctive rings stuck.
    Gunner
    Well, let me say. I'm happy to find more people like me out here. Thanks for leading me in the right direction...

1st of all.. I started with an absolutely pristine ppc6600.

I used your outlined steps to modify the contact entry for one of my contacts. This gained me nothing....Read On

I decided to install the trial version of Potala Telly. (This also installed Windows Media Control for Pocket IE as a subinstaller of the Telly Installer.)

Potala Telly Download

Before I mucked with anything, I had my buddy call me.... AHA, the ringer that I manually defined using the database editor as you described worked... So kudos to you on the hack...
    I used telly to modify the ringer of a different contact. It works as expected. The ONLY change to that contacts database entry was the " id 2" entry.

I then removed Potala Telly. The individual ringers still work.. SOOOO here's a question.....

Did telly leave something around that makes this possible?

Did Windows Media Control for Pocket IE make this possible?

I know that much of this not new news, but the purpose of my post is to hopefully have someone try to modify the contacts database as described in your post then ONLY install Windows Media Control. If this is the answer, I'd be willing to bang out a quick and dirty application to modify ring tones from a GUI.
    Early bird catches the worm.. BAH!!! The 2nd mouse gets the cheese. :)

PPC6600 with Cam: ROM: 2.03.00 WWE RADIO: HA00_140 PRL: 10029 Ext ROM: 1.36.113 WWE

Installed:
    PhotoContacts 2.0 (Distinctive ringers)
    SmartVideo (Live TV)
    PocketTV (Multi-format video player)
    ScreenLock (Locks screen and turns display off. uses 2 button combo to turn device back on.... great to listen to WMP while it's in your pocket or whatever.)
    Pocket AOL 2.0 (Full working version of AOL)
    Pocket DBexplorer (view/edit databases)
    Total Remote (Use your PPC660 as a remote control)
    Delorme Street Atlas 2006 Handlheld (Used with a BT GPS puck makes this package a must have for cruising on my FZ1)

Since I really don't like hacking all that stuff...
    I previously tried PhotoContacts Pro 3.0 and found that it just had too many conflicts and was difficult to configure.
    Wellllllll, they sure fixed the stuff I didn't like with 3.2!
    Installed and is beautiful!
    Syncs with contacts easily (previous version would not sync the category); allows for different CallerID screens (previous version would only allow the ful screen callerID) and sorts faster and with different parameters easier.
    Well done.
    Peace ~ Trident
    Using my own custom WM6.5 ROMGO GATORS! NCAA National Champs x3~ Football & Basketball(x2)!

Works for HP iPaq 6515s too!!!

Icegunner,
    Thanks!!! I recently went from an Audiovox to an iPaq 6515 running WM2003 PC edit. I had distinctive ringtones on my smartphone, but don't have them on my PPC (Have to wait until I get a WM5 PPC). I searched the net for the ability have distictive ringtones (Work/Wife/Friends), but couldn't find a way without buying something. I tried the method from your post. IT WORKS PERFECTLY!!!!! I don't like to buy/install software I don't need. Thanks again & 'tip of the hat' to you.

-Chase

Smile Thanks

Hi,
    This worked great for me, I've been searching for days and this helped me a lot. thanks

Now by any chance do any of you guys know how to change the ringtones on the SMS Messages, I am running an ipaq 6515 with Windows CE4.21 aka Win2003SE.

Also is there a "cheap way" that I can add pictures to my contacts so they will appear on my caller ID?

If you can help me out please send me an email jxatruch@gmail.com

Thank you