+ Reply to Thread

Newbie: syncing from PC (WMP 10) to PPC-6600

I have Windows Media Player 10 on my laptop. It does not seem to recognize my PPC-6600 as a sync device. I've got a nice collection of legal-purchased music (through MS, Wal-Mart, etc... bought within WMP) on my laptop that I'd love to play on my PPC-6600. How do I do it?

More clear...

Do you want to play it "through" your PPC or "on" your PPC? If you have active sync setup and are running XP, your Mobile Device will show up in Windows Explorer. I would sugget using a SD Card and writing the music to the card and then using WMP that is built in..or do a quick search and you find various other media players that people have tried. If you have tried this and are still having issues, feel free to post more specific errors or problems your are having.
    PPC6600
    HBH-660

I want to play "on". If I AS the file over from the PC to the 6600, it does copy, but I can not play it: "The license for this file cannot be found. Use Windows Media Player on your PC to copy the file to your device again."

I guess I'd be better off with illegal downloads! But I'm trying to copy legit files that I've bought.

Within WMP 10 on my PC, I can not find a way to sync the files as the 6600 is not a recognized device.

My WMP recognizes my PPC6600 - does anything show up when you go to the sync tab? I can sync to either the card in the PPC, a card in a card reader, or the main memory of the 6600. - sheureka

Most of the time, yes. In the right column, I get "Storage" as my only option. I've tried syncing there and I've tried creating a new folder there called Music and syncing into the folder. Both fail. "Error. Windows Media Player has encountered an unknown error."

Originally posted by sheureka
    My WMP recognizes my PPC6600 - does anything show up when you go to the sync tab? I can sync to either the card in the PPC, a card in a card reader, or the main memory of the 6600. - sheureka

OK, I've manged to make it work - I guess. If I unseat & reseat the 6600 in the cradle a few times, it eventually finds it. But if it's in the cradle when I start WMP on the PC, it doesn't find it.

I'm guessing this isn't normal?

You need WMP10 on your Pocket PC as well. It is a fairly straightforward ROM upgrade but it is a ROM upgrade. Please check out the FAQ (page 3 to be exact) to see some info on ROM upgrading. It could turn your phone into a very expensive paper weight.

http://www.myehud.com/xv6600/upgrade/

DO NOT TAKE THIS UPGRADE LIGHTLY. IT IS A ROM UPGRADE, MANY HAVE DONE IT AND SUCCEEDED BUT HEED THE WARNINGS. SEARCH THE BOARD FOR 2.03 and WMP10 AND READ THE PERTINENT THREADS
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

Have you tried just synching to an SD card in a card reader? That works for me, too. - sheureka
    Do good. Be kind. Have fun.

Before I mess anyone else up, You need WMP10 ONLY if you are trying to play DRM'd purchased music from a music store. Note Apple's fairplay does not work on WMP at all so nothing from itunes will play.

If you have CDs that you ripped and didn't turn on the DRM feature (who does?) when ripping you DO NOT NEED WMP10 on the Pocket PC.

THE ONLY THING YOU NEED WMP10 FOR is purchased music.

Originally posted by IvanLasston
    You need WMP10 on your Pocket PC as well.
    I don't have WMP10 on my 6600 and I don't have any problem syncing at all. - sheureka

Is your music DRMd? I couldn't get yahoo music to work without WMP10. It may be different for other DRM music because yahoo is subscription based. Whereas walmart,ms, you pay per song.

And actually, if you get DRM'd music to work without going to WMP10 I'd love to hear about it.

sheureka, didn't you get TivoToGo to work with WMP9? Supposedly that's DRM'd but maybe the DRM upgrade to WMP10 is only for subscription based service.

Originally posted by IvanLasston
    Is your music DRMd? I couldn't get yahoo music to work without WMP10. It may be different for other DRM music because yahoo is subscription based. Whereas walmart,ms, you pay per song.

sheureka, didn't you get TivoToGo to work with WMP9? Supposedly that's DRM'd but maybe the DRM upgrade to WMP10 is only for subscription based service.
    I don't use subscription based services - so none of my music is DRM'd. But I have found that some of the tracks are a little touchy - I've tried to sync three tracks from the same CD, ripped at the same time, and two of them went fine and the third one one "threw" an error. Go figure.

The Tivo thing is a little different - being able to sync is built into the Tivo software (on a deal between Tivo and MS) - sheureka