+ Reply to Thread

Help please... ActiveSync fails

Hey gang,

I am running an xv6600WOC on Verizon. Whenever I put my XV in the USB cradle, ActiveSync (AS) will not recognize the device... it doesnt do anything. Usually AS will automatically display, connect and begin the sync process. Nothin'.

I also configured my device to communicate with AS via BlueTooth. When i attempt this connection from my XV to my PC, AS will recognize the device, spin its wheels "connecting" and eventually fail with a message regarding AS not finding my device.

Both methods were working perfectly last nite. The only thing that I can remember changing between last nite and this morning was configuring a *new* message profile for my work email using POP3 and adding a VPN connection to the office.

When I discovered the problem this morning, i restarted both machines... no dice.

Then I removed these two changes and restarted both machines... no dice.

I had this problem earlier in the week but i didnt pay attention to the point in which it went from working to not working. I couldnt resolve the problem and so i hard reset the XV and started from scratch.

Here i am again. I would really appreciate some help from this forum.

Here are some details:

ROM Version: 1.35.00 WWE
    ROM Date: 12/10/04
    Radio version: HA01_140
    Protocol version AA3.3.301
    PRL: 50316
    ExtROM version: 1.35.115 WWE
    Hardware version: 0041

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Did you resolve the problem outside of starting over?

Thanks

Bumpiness...

da' bump!

Try deleting the partnership from AS (but don't delete the sync folder) and making a new partnership with the same name of the device.
    Jeremiah 29:11

Sorry, I was gonna answer earlier but Firefox keeps crashing. I installed the java script blocker, works well, except when you first unblock, then firefox crashes. But I digress...

So, fisrt things first, follow mwfielder's advice. Make sure your cradle is plugged directly into your PC, not through a hub.

With the PPC in the cradle, unplug the cradle and replug cradle directly into the PC. Ehud had reported some flakieness earlier so it may be that. If that's a no go, try a hard reset but only after a backup. Also try the bluetooth solution down below first, then try a hard reset.

Ensure the com port didn't automagically change in connection settings for serial. Mine keeps switching to COM1 when my Bluetooth is on COM3. Don't ask me why. Also, when you connect with BT, does it get past bt connection to the user authentication? If it gets that far you should see your PC activesync doing its thing. If not you have a BT problem. You might want to reboot everything as well when you try again.

Again, last thing, back up, hard reset, and try again.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

Son of a ...

Well thank you both for your responses. I did as you suggested and no dice... again.

This is a really frustrating problem to have, damn it!

Well I am gonna hard reset and this time I am going to create 3 separate backup images so that i can be sure to capture the point at which it breaks. Then I can restore (hopefully) and repeat the same process that caused it to break.

I am hoping this will enable me to pinpoint the problem. I wish there was some tools that can report reg/file changes. For Windows x86 platforms, there are tons out there for troubleshooting this type of stuff.

Anyone know of tools like that for PocketPC?

Also i DL'd some dev kit stuff. Gonna poke around there and see what I can find by way of diag tools and such... any suggestions?

I will play around a bit with it and see what i can come up with.

Again, thank you for the responses and I will report my findings.

I cant be the only one to have seen this...

NOTE: For some strange reason i like restarting and reconfiguring my XV... for now... but if i have to do it for this problem more than once I am gonna test the XV's aerodynamics!

Just playin'. I dig my XV.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    The problem is your computer. Try a different one, a laptop, a friend's computer, one at your local library, etc.

...and rebuild your OS next chance you get.

Ehud

Re: Help please... ActiveSync fails

Originally posted by 05SubieLegGT
    Hey gang,

I am running an xv6600WOC on Verizon. Whenever I put my XV in the USB cradle, ActiveSync (AS) will not recognize the device... it doesnt do anything. Usually AS will automatically display, connect and begin the sync process. Nothin'.

Thanks
    I had the same problem, and narrowed it down to WisBar Advance 2....Strange, but if I close WA2 and put it back in the cradle it works???
    Do you have WA2 installed? You may want to give that a try...
    PPC6700 w/HBH-660, GPSlim 236, Parrot CK3100

Exactly... or so i thouht too!

Originally posted by Ehud
    The problem is your computer. Try a different one, a laptop, a friend's computer, one at your local library, etc.

...and rebuild your OS next chance you get.

Ehud
    Ehud, i hear ya. I thought the same thing too. I am kind of a windows geek so i have several machines that are always in some constant flux but no matter what I always have at least one clean machine that I use to "keep it real" so to speak.

I installed AS on my clean machine and the XV *still* wont connect... I am almost positive it is a prob on the XV...

Which brings me to the post that followed yours...

Originally posted by pbrlic
    I had the same problem, and narrowed it down to WisBar Advance 2....Strange, but if I close WA2 and put it back in the cradle it works???
    Do you have WA2 installed? You may want to give that a try...
    I have a feeling it is a combo of a plug-in/add-in. I have Wisbar but i have not installed it yet. I think i may have on my first pass at this problem but i KNOW that this round i didnt... yet my problem exists again... *sigh..

Thank you both for your comments, I appreciate it.

I will continue to work on it and hopefully identify the problem and then provide my assistance to this forum as I have been silently trolling here since March...

Yours,

The Silent Troll

Well there's the one way...
    1 backup (sprite!)
    2 hard reset
    3 see if activesync works.
    4 restore

If activesync works then it's a problem with something you've got installed/hardware. If it doesn't, it's the hardware configuration/cables/pc.

Sounds interesting... post when you get more info

Ehud

Your up late too man! I am on it already... my project for the evening... figure this thing out!

Wish me luck... oh wait, i dont need it...

Good luck

I'm up late. Company isn't expected till 0100.. which is in 50 minutes

E

Lame... but at least it is working properly...

Well the XV is back up and running with no issues. I have no idea at this point what the problem was or if i will see it again...

I will say that the best thing to come out of this little situation is that I am no longer simply a believer in backups but I am also a practicer of backups since at this point that is all I can do until this problem comes back.

Corrupted Reg? File?

User = dumbass? probably...

Thanks again for your suggestions... ok, now back to silent trolling