+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Using bluetooth like wifi

I read that I could access the internet on my home network using the bluetooth on my 6600. I have tried, and can connect to a bluetooth network on my computer but everytime I open Pocket IE it tries to dial out. Anyone know how to get this working?

Re: Using bluetooth like wifi

Originally posted by smoothy
    I read that I could access the internet on my home network using the bluetooth on my 6600. I have tried, and can connect to a bluetooth network on my computer but everytime I open Pocket IE it tries to dial out. Anyone know how to get this working?
    I'm confused. Are you trying to use your home network to go on the internet on your 6600? Or are you trying to use your 6600 as a BT modem to access the internet on your home network? - sheureka

Yes, I am trying to use my home network to go on the internet using my 6600. I am not trying to set my 6600 up as a BT modem.

Is that possible?

Yes but doing it through BT networking is quite difficult. Your best bet is to start activesync and use passthrough. It should do this by default.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

I got it working...

It had to do with sharing my connection on my PC, I set it up to share over a bluetooth network and it started working perfectly.

Thanks for the quick responses.

are you doing by establishing an activesync connection first? Or are you using the bt networking profile? If you are using the networking profile, watch to see if it quits in the next few days. I was able to get it to work, but then it would just not be able to connect anymore. If you have it working, I would love to hear about your setup.

I'm looking for a way to use my ppc as a remote control for my media center, but wifi is just too clunky to get connected (find the card, take out the memory card, soft reboot, etc., etc.). anything that gives it an ip from my router's dhcp service will solve my problem.
    ppc6700 (R.I.P. 6600)
    Sprint

I got it working the other day but i found that it completely took over the verizon internet connection. i could only do one or the other so i deleted the bt network. and in any case when i pressed the power button on the phone, the network shut off. so i figured that activesync over bt and then just leave the phone on for internet passthrough is much easier and doesnt take over the phones connections.
    Tanguy de Courson

hi im soo new to this (as you can see this is my first posT) but ive ben trying all weekend to connect to my tower through blue tooth, and i can do a active sync but thats about it says that it can not connect when trying to do anything else bluetooth. all im trying to do is use the bluetooth when im at home to connect to the internet instead of my vision can some one post a step by step?

Ok...

First:
    1. Pair the devices
    2. set up the both my computer and 6600 to allow for network access over bluetooth.

Second on my PC:
    1. went into network connections
    2. selected properties on my connection that is connected to the internet
    3. Under the advance tab I selected the checkmark that allows other users to connect through this computers internet connection.
    4. under that there is a box that you can select what type of home networking connection to share, select bluetooth network
    5. press apply or OK and your done.

After all that, on your 6600 connect to your PC through bluetooth manager and in about 30 seconds you should be up and running.

One thing... on your 6600 you have to disable the CDMA connection method so it doesn't try to connect through your phone when you open IE. That can be done through connections in settings.

Hope that is clear...

yyl
    I have set up Bluetooth networking between XV6600 and my computer since a long time ago, and I use PPC Tablet Remote Control to control my computer:
    http://www.aacompserv.com/AACompWeb/.../WhatIsIt.aspx

It is hard to give exact instructions, because a lot of the connection problems are with the Widcomm drivers that came with your USB dongle. With my old Widcomm driver, a lot of profiles had problems with XV6600. Bluetooth networking worked, but it took longer to handshake and establish the connection. Several days ago, I downloaded the new Widcomm 4 driver and now every profile is working, and Bluetooth networking connects faster.

One thing I do notice, though, is that the Windows' built-in firewall will interfere with bluetooth networking, so you need to turn off the firewall on the bluetooth networking connection (you can still use the firewall for all other connections).

Where did you get hte widcomm 4 drivers?
    Anything I say is mine. It is neither authorized nor endorsed by my employers or previous employers. Read at your own risk.

yyl
    It is here. Some people already patched the installer, so that we don't have to do the hard work. But use at your own risk!

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52976

yyl
    Oh, by the way, there is also a Widcomm patch for the Pocket PC, which adds the keyboard and high-quality audio profiles, in case someone still doesn't know about it.

Summary of ROMs and patches

i have a linksys usbbt100. do i need to install its drivers after i've installed the new widcomm ones? I'm getting nowhere, and I have two bt icons in the tray. linksys support explains how to deal with that issue (it's an xp sp2 thing), but i don't have linksys drivers ionstalled right now. the 6600 just gives me "service discovery unsuccessful" errors, although they pair fine.
    ppc6700 (R.I.P. 6600)
    Sprint

yyl
    You can read that particular thread on MP3CAR for troubleshooting, as well as this thread:
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...threadid=35927

According to what I knkow, the Widcomm 4 driver already includes the drivers for most of the USB dongles on the market.

yyl-

i want what you have so badly i can taste it. i have been beating on this thing for months to use it as a bt remote for the media player. (please don't say wifi as an option, way too clunky to get it setup)

i can active sync over bt all freakin day but it just will not connect via network access. all it does it tell me that service discovery failed, even though the pc is discoverable. if i initiate from the tray icon, it will just give me "error creating network access connection" and nothing else, even though the ppc6600 is discoverable. I have gone through the process on mp3car so i have the version 700 drivers, but i'm not seeing anything different from my last go-round with this a few months ago. would you mind detailing how you set up your network access profile? much appreciated!
    ppc6700 (R.I.P. 6600)
    Sprint

yyl
    Actually, when you are using ActiveSync over BT, you can access the PC from PPC as a network peer, without using the Network Access profile. That means, your remote control software should work when ActiveSync is in session.

If you want to connect to PC without going through ActiveSync, this is what I did to get mine working:

1. Turn off firewall on the Bluetooth Network connection on the PC side.

2. In the Widcomm utility, configure the Network Access profile to "allow other devices to access Internet and LAN through this computer". The other option "Allow other devices to establish a personal network on this computer" is kind of tricky, and I never got it to work.

3. Assign static IP addresses (on the same subnet) for your bluetooth connection on both PPC and PC. On the PPC side, you have to go to "Settings > Connections > Advanced" and select "Bluetooth Settings". (Note: If your computer is acting as a DHCP server -- for example, if you enabled Internet Connection Sharing -- you probably don't need this step.)

4. Connect from PPC using Bluetooth Manager or PPC's built-in "Connect" feature.

yyl
    BTW, if you get this setup working, the remote control software that I use -- PPC Tablet Remote Control -- can do all kinds of things, like controlling presentations, media players and the whole nine yards. I even created a few buttons that sends lengthy key combinations to the PC, to automate some repetitive tasks. In that scenario, the PPC becomes a keyboard extension that can execute key macros. That software works over BT, WiFi, wired ethernet, ActiveSync... But BT connection is better than WiFi, because BT consumes much less power.

How do you get activesync ot pass thoughmore than the HTTP proxy ports? I'd love to be able to do file access over activesync
    Anything I say is mine. It is neither authorized nor endorsed by my employers or previous employers. Read at your own risk.

yyl
    I am not familiar with the HTTP Proxy. I just know that the remote control software that I use works over "BT ActiveSync" or "BT Network Access". Either way, I can enter my computer's NetBIOS name and connect.