+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Club Pocket PC Louisville JohnBecker's Avatar

Question RE: 2.03 upgrade

Before I get blasted... I have searched on this, but didn't find what I was looking for.

I did the 2.03 upgrade this morning. It went fine the 2nd time (I got the wrong country messasge).

My question is which font is needed to correct the notification bubble text. It comes up as little boxes which means the font is not installed. Or is there another fix for this issue?

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    I don't know. I haven't seen this before. Retry the upgrade.

E

Club Pocket PC Louisville JohnBecker's Avatar
    Ugh... don't tell me that after spending hours reinstalling my applications.

Here's a screenshot of what I see. When you have the notification bubble and click it, you get this. Sometimes it disappears very quickly (it was tough getting this pic). A couple of times it stayed on the screen, but that might have been before I installed PhoneAlarm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Question RE: 2.03 upgrade-xv6600-problem.jpg  

Let me put it another way... it's my guess something you installed isn't working right.

The only way I know to figure it out is to hard reset, then check the bubble, then install some apps, and so on.

There is probably a better way - but I don't know it.

Ehud

Let me save you some time. Your problem is the 2.03 ROM + PocketPlus + PhoneAlarm.

Lots of users (including myself) have had this issue and neither developer seems interested in claiming credit for the bug nor doing anything to fix it.

My solution was to uninstall PocketPlus, which sucks because I love its battery bar... none of the other ones are as useful.

Dan

[Thanks! I will probably add that info to the 2.03 upgrade page.

Have you tried Magic Button? It has a nice color battery bar. Of course I don't use it since I use PowerCheck ]

Yeah, Magic Button is pretty nice, but since its battery bar is vertical it's much smaller and therefore doesn't provide as much detail as the PP one. But the price is right (free). Also though, it has some issues with phone edition, namely trying to close the phone and activesync apps. It's a little quirky but it does work.

Dan

I excluded the phone, wireless-sync, and timsync... so it doesn't close them.

Hold down their top-bar icon, and select "Keep Alive" and it won't ever close them.

E

Fully Distracted
    Just use a 3rd party utility to change the system font or do it via the registry. I changed my standard system font to Tahoma. All better. Before everone askes, it is in HKLM\System\GDI\SYSFNT and the key is NM and mine is now Tahoma. No more mystery text boxes.

Originally posted by luv2chill
    Let me save you some time. Your problem is the 2.03 ROM + PocketPlus + PhoneAlarm.

Lots of users (including myself) have had this issue and neither developer seems interested in claiming credit for the bug nor doing anything to fix it.

My solution was to uninstall PocketPlus, which sucks because I love its battery bar... none of the other ones are as useful.

Dan
    When I first flashed to the 2.03 ROM, I had this error with Pocket Plus and PhoneAlarm. Then it mysteriously disappeared. Maybe it was one of the new betas of PhoneAlarm, but now my bubbles work perfectly.
    Jeremiah 29:11

Euphorically Confused
    I too have the 2.03 ROM, Pocket Plus, and Phone Alarm(the latest Beta) running without this error.
    Custom Apache AKU 3.5 roms and rom kitchens available
    ALWAYS FLASH BACK TO AN OFFICIAL ROM BEFORE TAKING YOUR PHONE IN FOR SERVICE OF ANY KIND
    If you have found me helpful or would like to support the developers of roms and apps that I use, please Donate

Well there may be hope for P+ yet! I'll try it and report back (might be a few days though). Thanks guys.

Dan

I have 2.03 and Pocket Plus and NO Phone Alarm. I have not seen this error.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

Sickwidit
    I haven't had these issues with pocket plus but i'm not using phone alarm either.
    Eric Hicks, Microsoft MVP, Mobile-Devices
    My Devices
    Four PPC6600's, One PPC6700, Three PPC6800's,One Treo 700w,One Jas Jar,One Pantec Duo,One T-mobile Dash...Do I have too many devices?

Dan try BatteryLevel, has configurable shortcuts, vertical and horizontal readout.

/threadjack

Hey johnnye,

I searched hi and lo and couldn't find a program called "batterylevel". Is it a freeware deal? Handango didn't have it, and I searched the first couple pages of Google results to no avail. If you could post a link I'd be much obliged.

Oh, and just to avoid continuing the threadjack, the common theme to having the bubble problem was 2.03, P+ and an offending Today screen app... in most cases it was phonealarm but there was at least one report of someone who experienced it without having phonealarm installed--IIRC he was using some other today app that was causing the bug (in concert with the other two ingredients, anyway).

Dan

D'oh! I messed up my words, its PowerLevel from Scary Bear

http://www.scarybearsoftware.com/ppc_pl_overview.html

/edit I have mine configured to show battery level, and two shortcuts, one for closing running apps and one for soft resets. At $7 its a pretty good deal.
    Last edited by johnnye; 06-27-2005 at 10:17 PM.

I used to get that bubble all the time when i had MS voice dial installed. when i got rid of voice dial it disappeared and has never came back. might try removing that if you are using voice dial

I have Voice Command with Pocket Plus, and Still have not seen that bad font bubble.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

i have 2.03, p+, and PA- until i put beta 6 on last friday and then beta 8 yesterday i had that wierd bubble too. It seeems the new PA betas fix the issue.