+ Reply to Thread

Goodlink - turn off email w/phone on?

I am using the Verizon XV6600 with Good Technology's Goodlink program so that I receive on a real time basis all email that is sent to me via Outlook. Is there any way to turn off the Goodlink email program while still keeping the phone working so that I can receive calls but not emails (the Treo 600 has this capability).
    The constant stream of emails eats up the battery much more quickly than simply having the phone turned on and is unnecessary when I am working in front of my computer and can read the emails off the computer. Any help would be appreciated.

If you find out how to do this let me know as it it the only reason I am not using it. At least until I get SP2 for Exchange and WM5...
    PPC-6700
    ROM Version:2.06.00 WWE

BA with wifi still can't be beat
    This is one of my biggest pet peeves. The Goodlink software is an unbelievable memory and battery hog. I thought I had this figured out. I use MemMaid which allows you to see running processes. The GoodApp.exe does not really close when you close it (regardless of which app closer program you may use). All of the other 40 apps I have on my PDA allow Pocket Plus to close it down, but not Goodlink. It pretends to close down but GoodApp.exe still runs in the background. So I kill the process in MemMaid manually (because if I don't the Bluetooth won't work). I also take Good out of the startup folder so it does not start on soft resets. But some other notification process wakes GoodApp up every 10 minutes or so and restarts GoodApp.exe back again!!! Absolutely piss poor programming. I have searched the registry all over for a way to override this. But the Goodlink installation litters the registry with so many entries that it is impossible to figure out. I also have SKTracker which lets me take a snapshot of the file system, databases and registry before and after an installation. I was appalled at what Goodlink did to my PPC.
    SX66 (PH20B1)
    ROM: 1.40.00 WWE
    Radio: 1.13.00

The newest version of the client software (4.5.0.65) has a "work offline" mode. I think this will do what you want.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    While not exactly an elegant method, have you simply tried disconnecting your data connection during those times when your email is right in front of you?

You can put it in flight mode which of course disables your phone. Otherwise Goodlink wakes up the connection at will.
    SX66 (PH20B1)

Originally posted by willp2
    The newest version of the client software (4.5.0.65) has a "work offline" mode. I think this will do what you want.
    Will, have you or anyone else used 4.5.x? My IT department just upgraded us from 4.0.x to 4.5.0.65. Even though I knew Good would not fix the dozens of other issues in this upgrade I was SO looking forward to the "offline" mode so GPRS would quit connecting all of the time. But this does not seem to be the case. It actually seems to connect more often than before. I have experienced much faster battery drain since going to 4.5. Anyone had any luck with offline mode keeping the connection closed until you manually request it again?
    SX66 (PH20B1)

FYI, 4.7.0.25 came out yesterday. I am installing it now on my PPC.

Is it possible to install newer versions without my IT department having to send me links or do they have to update the server software before any ppc updates can be installed?