+ Reply to Thread

changing battery in PPC6600

Hi.

I turn off the display with the button on the top right, correct?

Does that actually turn the device off? I don't think it does because the phone still works.

Which leads me to.... when I change the battery, do I need to make sure the phone is entirely off somehow? or is just stopping all the programs and turning off the monitor good enough?

Thank.

Bryce.

no just take it out. its the same as doing a soft reset

thanks.

So is this "soft reset" like a reset on a pc? What is the difference?

Bryce.

Euphorically Confused
    Be careful when removing the battery. Many people get hard resets when they take the battery off and then you lose all information you had on the PPC. You will then have to reload everything.

Your best bet is to leave the battery on.

Why do you need to remove it? Is it a one time thing, or do you do it a lot?
    Custom Apache AKU 3.5 roms and rom kitchens available
    ALWAYS FLASH BACK TO AN OFFICIAL ROM BEFORE TAKING YOUR PHONE IN FOR SERVICE OF ANY KIND
    If you have found me helpful or would like to support the developers of roms and apps that I use, please Donate

He probably has a spare battery, which is what I'm getting ready to buy. Just seems like a necessity at some point. I recently tried to do this a few times with great success. I did make sure the PPC was off (screen turned off) when I did this.
    Check out my iAdviseMe (IT Advisories), i9erNews (49er news), iGreen (Green News) or my iGossip (celeb News) Apps at: http://www.iadvise.me/

I agree, I think this is the solution.
    Sprint: G1000, HTC-6600, 6800, now TP2
    Windroid: Energy.ROM.28244.Sense2.5/Android 2.1
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

Sickwidit
    I would turn the power off(power button) before taking the battery off. Also make sure you don't have any data connections going when you remove the battery. The sudden change from the battery to the backup battery while the device is using the radio will cause a hard reset because the backup battery doesn't have enough current to run the unit. I had a few hard resets because of that. So now I make sure the radio isn't in use and I turn the power off.
    Eric Hicks, Microsoft MVP, Mobile-Devices
    My Devices
    Four PPC6600's, One PPC6700, Three PPC6800's,One Treo 700w,One Jas Jar,One Pantec Duo,One T-mobile Dash...Do I have too many devices?

Administrator
    to the original poster of this thread:

you will hear varying posts of turn it off.. leave it on..

i have 3 batteries for my 660x, i am confident enough to just take the battery out when the phone is on. i usually turn the screen off then swap. never had a hard reset... this goes for all ppc phones and palm phones i have had.. no hard reset.

hard reset can come from any nu,ber of reasons... but its ok to do it.. the phone is designed to allow you to do it... so go ahead and do it if you want. ive swapped my bateries out ooh probably hundreds of times with no ill effects....

wow.

varying ideas exist for this one.

It's not like there is a physical HD in there that has platters that stop with heads on them. Three aren't any moving parts, correct?

And yes, I have a spare battery I'll need to use sometimes because I won't be around any charging devices for more than a day at a time and I use it a lot.

Bryce.

Administrator
    no moving parts... no user servicabale parts inside... blah blah...

now its possible, that if your running programs, say win mobile watching a video or movie trailer or soemthing.. and you have data connection up and running.. and you decide to swap batteries.. i think you are asking for your phone to hard reset... just make sure everything is calm and swap...

sounds like a plan.

thanks.

Converged

Removing battery

I bought an extended battery for mine. The original sux for battery life. I swapped it out with absolutely no problems. I have done this a few times an have not had any kind of "reset".

In fact, today I was putting my phone in my shirt pocket and I missed. It crashed to the floor and the battery took a spin separate from the phone. I was scared to death.

The phone looked and seemed just fine. I pushed the SD card back in, put the battery in and it started just fine with no ill effects or resets of any kind!

I would certainly reccomend to use the off button before doing so though.....
    Larry Aubin
    Verizon XV6600 WC
    ExtROM 1.36.116 WWE, ROM 1.36.00 WWE, Radio HA01_151, Extended 3550 Battery, iTrek BT GPS

Re: Removing battery

Originally posted by laubin
    I bought an extended battery for mine. The original sux for battery life. I swapped it out with absolutely no problems. I have done this a few times an have not had any kind of "reset".

In fact, today I was putting my phone in my shirt pocket and I missed. It crashed to the floor and the battery took a spin separate from the phone. I was scared to death.

The phone looked and seemed just fine. I pushed the SD card back in, put the battery in and it started just fine with no ill effects or resets of any kind!

I would certainly reccomend to use the off button before doing so though.....
    No offense but you are either lying or mis-informed. Just moving the battery latch to the down position to take out the battery causes a soft reset, so saying that you have no resets is a false statement unless you have a very special phone. A soft reset you will see the microsoft windows powered screen, then the verizon screen, then your phone should start up. (Same as pushing in the reset button underneath your phone)
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

Administrator
    yep, no matter how you eat your reeces cup or no matter how you take the battery out, the phone will atleast do a soft reset...

Converged
    We're talking about hard resets here..

What the phone does by design isn't what was infered, rather what it does unintentionally... i.e. Hard Reset!
    Larry Aubin
    Verizon XV6600 WC
    ExtROM 1.36.116 WWE, ROM 1.36.00 WWE, Radio HA01_151, Extended 3550 Battery, iTrek BT GPS

Originally posted by laubin
    We're talking about hard resets here..

What the phone does by design isn't what was infered, rather what it does unintentionally... i.e. Hard Reset!
    Understood but you know what assuming does. I was able to infer you meant hard resets, but you cannot assume everyone reading this board will be able to understand what you mean. They will only understand what you typed. Hence I tried to clarify it for everyone.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

Drop my phone and battery comes out = hard reset (phone set to zero, reinstall backup...)

Turn off my phone (button on upper right), take out battery, put back battery, no hard or soft reset.

Take battery out carefully with phone on = hard reset.

I think I may have a bad phone as this I believe was a problem with early versions.... you should be able to take battery out when on. My store offered to replace mine but I just have not had the time.
    Sprint: G1000, HTC-6600, 6800, now TP2
    Windroid: Energy.ROM.28244.Sense2.5/Android 2.1
    Overclocked to 729Mhz