+ Reply to Thread

XV6600 - Restoral issue

OK, this is a wierd one...to me.

Background: Made a self-executing back-up on 6/23 with Sprite 3.0. Installed JGUI SMS app which went horribly wrong...XV6600 would not go to Today screen on power up/stuck on second splash screen. Hard reset and everything was OK. Restore backup. Made another on 6/28...no new software added, just wanted to capture updated system config and contacts.

Problem: Two of them actually...ones not really a problem. The first issue is that I notice that my hardware lock settings were reset to default. Normally I lock everything except the power button. Happened to notice as I pulled PDA out of bag or pocket, the power was always on.

Second problem...which is a problem...I no longer can access my Text Messages. Upon restoral of backup, I go to messaging and can only see Outlook E-Mail, no other accounts. I did a hard reset earlier today with the hopes I could retrieve the settings, restore my backup, and just restore the Text Messages...No go.

So two-parter....am I doing something wrong? Has anyone run into this before?

Right now I'm looking at doing another hard reset and reinstalling everything from scratch. The positive is that it'll give me an opportunity to test more software w/o worrying about screwing up my config since I have to do it all over again anyways.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    1. The hardware button lock is an IO Control function (IOCTL) done through the driver. It is not a "saved" setting.

You can get Buttonlock (search for it) and have it run after a reset to activate the lock.

2. Your email storage is corrupt. This happens to me if I do a backup and an SMS or email comes in during that time. To prevent this I now set flight mode on prior to a backup.

A known bug is that you cannot partially restore email. If you do, email services will disappear. You must either restore ALL of email or NONE of it.

You can use an earlier backup if you keep archivals (I keep 30 days, one in the morning one at night). You will want to do it as follows:

1. Hard reset
    2. Restore email only from the archival backup.
    3. Restore all but email from the last good backup.

Note that "Patching mail databases" really isn't patching mail databases, it's "patching all databases and system settings to make things work right." So you will get that message even when not restoring email... and sit and wait and wait.

If you have NO archival backup, what I would do is
    1. Hard reset
    2. Restore the last good backup but deselect all of email so it is not restored. You will lose saved SMSs, etc., but all the accounts that come by default will be there.

Ehud

Dang, after this morning I thought I wouldn't be able to get back to the thread!

Thanks Ehud. I tried the restoral without the mail and it didn't work, but your explanation makes sense and I understand what I need to do for the future. Thanks again!!
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

You mean you did:
    1. hard reset
    2. restore without any email
    and what happenned?

(Note that step 1 is a hard reset)

E

Originally posted by Ehud
    You mean you did:
    1. hard reset
    2. restore without any email
    and what happenned?

(Note that step 1 is a hard reset)

E
    Yep! I did a hard reset and then executed the self-running back-up file from my storage card. Before the restoral, I unchecked E-Mail and opened the tree to make sure everything else was unselected also...restored the backup. After a soft reset, I checked Messages and it still only showed the Outlook mail folder.

No biggie. I had made some changes after that and ended up doing another series of resets b/c the changes I made caused some conflicts. So now I'm adding everything back with what I think should be a stable config. If so, I'll start doing two backups...one for the apps and settings (sin e-mail) and one just for e-mail. Since the only messaging I do is SMS (I hate VZW Sync!), it's not too hard to just write down a message I need before a reset...just in case. Thanks for your help again!!

Yet another twist...

It's a good thing the XV6600 is py PDA and phone...or I probably would have smashed it sometime last week. So the recent news is I did a hard reset, restored my apps, still having some problems...no big deal.

BUT, I did a hard reset this morning, sent myself a text message, and started performing a series of backups. With Sprite Backup, I made 3...A. Full w/o e-mail, B. Full w/e-mail, C. E-mail only. I also made another backup using ActiveSync.

Sooooo....I restored Backup A (w/o e-mail) and things went fine. Went to the messaging menu and both Outlook E-Mail and Text Messaging were present...cool! Restored Backup C on top of that and both mail files were still there, plus the test text message I sent myself...very cool!

Restore Backup B...wierd. Everything goes without a hitch and I do the soft reset. Power back up and check my messaging...both mail files are still there as well as my test message!! WTF!?!? Last week when I did this, I couldn't get my text messaging restored. This time around, came back fine.

So I'm figuring it has to be something with the software I'm installing. So I just hard reset my PDA again (for the 6th time in two days!) and I'm going to start adding my apps back on. This time, after I add each one, I'm going to test and make a backup so I can try to figure out what software is causing what problems.

The world of PPCs...enough to make you drink!

EDIT: I didn't try restoring the backup made via ActiveSync. I figured I can make it work with Sprite Backup and ActiveSync took toooooooo long. Enough time for me to take an elevator down a couple of floors, grab breakfast, and come back...still wasn't finished!
    Last edited by Big Calhoun; 07-07-2005 at 07:47 AM.

Has anyone that uses Sprite Backup noticed that at the end of a restore, when it says "Patching email databases" that it takes forever! Most of the time, I just soft reset it after 10 minutes because it seems as if it is locked up. Doesn't seem to effect the restore though.

Anyone else seen this behavior?
    Ever had "one of those days"? I'm having "one of those LIVES!"
    XV6800, XV6700 AND an XV6600, Plantronics Voyager 855 Stereo BT Headset, Jabra JX-10 Release 2, Aliph Jawbone, Motorola H700, Motorola H850, Jabra BT800, Sony HBH-660, 2 GB SD

I haven't come across that issue, last week or this morning. What version of Sprite Backup are you using? I'm using 3.0 and it's pretty zippy. Outside of the mysterious e-mail issue, the only other thing I encounter is after the restoral, it tells me there were warnings. It's always something about the AudioGW.DLL couldn't be restored b/c it was in use. Doesn't seem to effect the system though.

What I do is that I keep my primary mail account on Outlook and download mail from the server during that day to the PDA as I need it BUT keep copies on the server. When I do go back to the office/computer, all the stuff off the server now comes down to my laptop (I am able to delete from the phone so I so not see spam twice). In other words, I have two accounts, with one being an archive and the other temporary.

Now, where I have to restore from backup, I juts restore away. I have been using Backup Manager and it works fine. I then resent my ActiveSync registry setting to replace all materials on the PDA with materials from thecomputer next sync. Voila, you are back up and running and no mail/contacts/appointments are lost.

Give the saga of Phone Alarm I have this down to a science.
    Sprint: G1000, HTC-6600, 6800, now TP2
    Windroid: Energy.ROM.28244.Sense2.5/Android 2.1
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

That's a good idea too. My situation is that I don't use my XV6600 much for e-mail. I'd like to but I don't want to be charged using the VZW Sync and it isn't that much of an issue that I've researched a way around it. Besides, my work e-mail is Lotus Notes and I'd have to go through a VPN server...still working on getting Movian to connect.

I guess what gets me is that the backup this morning restored everything fine, but last week I had the major issue with my text messages. That wouldn't have been such a big deal if I could have manually added the settings back. But apparently it's hard coded and you can't access the settings.

So so far, I'm up to about 5 apps and 2 device drivers installed, set all my PPC options and reconfigured all my BT devices. Not a hitch. All of this for OnCourse Navigator 4 since that's what I seem to use the most so it's important that it's on my system and working properly. I haven't gotten into the new apps that I installed that began the problems. Such a pain...I'll probably be done with this sometime early tomorrow morning!

I guess the text messages do not show up on Outlook... If there was a way they could be stored or synched in an outlook folder somewhere on your PC, then if the PDA crashed you could restore from the Outlook folder on the PC like I do with no trouble. I am back up and running in 15 minutes.
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

I've talked to Sprite about it.

The "Patching Mail Databases" is actually patching a bunch of databases.

If you don't include email, registry, or the phone settings stuff, you'll never see it.

In my case, I have 1100+ SMS messages in various folders, and it takes about 20 minutes to do the patch process.

If that companion software (I forget the name) ever learns to deal with folders other than Inbox, I will use it to backup email, and do sprite without email.

It's still better than xbackup. The backup takes 5 minutes. (I do this twice a day). The restore takes 25 minutes.. but I only do that once every month or so, depending on what I'm doing.

Yesterday I had a hard reset occur after installing the 3900 BT stack... and the backup was only 3 hours old

Ehud

Looks like the one I have, Backup Manager from Sunnysoft, does the SMS messages... I do not have 1100. My replacement takes about 5 minutes, but again I do not have that many messages. But still you are going to lose what has not been backed up since the last run.

Too bad you cannot use a folder that backups up to a PC via ActiveSync to receive your SMS messages. Then you would be set with automatic syncs. There is no registry setting that directs where your SMSs land?
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

None I know of... but it doesn't matter. I keep many folders.
    E

I'm finally (well, almost) at a stable config again that includes navigation software!! Man, backing up and testing after every installation is a pain, but many lessons learned. The primary:OnCourse Navigator 4 does not play nicely with too many today screen plug-ins. Testing Tom Tom right now and it hasn't hiccuped once...even with 4 of the 5 apps that gave me an issue installed.

Thanks again Ehud for all your help. I hope I wasn't too much of a pest! Once I get everything setup, I'm going to incorporate making two backups when I need to...one for the apps and one for the mail/messages. That seemed to work out well!!

Originally posted by Big Calhoun
    I haven't come across that issue, last week or this morning. What version of Sprite Backup are you using? I'm using 3.0 and it's pretty zippy. Outside of the mysterious e-mail issue, the only other thing I encounter is after the restoral, it tells me there were warnings. It's always something about the AudioGW.DLL couldn't be restored b/c it was in use. Doesn't seem to effect the system though.
    It is the same version you are using. I have about 27 programs installed though. I am a self-employed network engineer and I use a lot of remote access programs as well as some business apps. This PPC is my lifeline to my clients and keeps me on-track (most of the time)

I am doing a full restore now and I'm watching the "Patching mail databases" thing. It has been running for almost 14 minutes and still ticking away....

I used to just soft reset it by now thinking that it was locked up, but after reading Ehud's comments on this thread, I'm gonna wait it out. Before, when I performed a "soft-reset", thinking it was locked up, I would end up having to put serial numbers in some software. But now I'm just gonna wait..... and wait..... and wait.....
    XV6800, XV6700 AND an XV6600, Plantronics Voyager 855 Stereo BT Headset, Jabra JX-10 Release 2, Aliph Jawbone, Motorola H700, Motorola H850, Jabra BT800, Sony HBH-660, 2 GB SD

Well, the restore just finished! Took about 20 minutes! I got the same exception that Big Calhoun reported, but it doesn't seem to effect the operation of the unit, so far...