+ Reply to Thread
    KC Mike - obsessively converged mb5451's Avatar

how to use the SDC, and when

Hello - I would appreciate some advice on how you've used the SD Cards, good ideas, bad ideas, what works, what doesn't, some basics of how that card fits into the overall storage scheme of the PPC. What apps like it, what apps tolerate it, what apps ignore it, etc.

I thought, after looking thru searches for a while, that this type of thread would benefit all of us newer PPC users.

Please contribute. thanks
    KC Mike - Palm/PPC/ ..............

Blackberry Curve 8310 - Google Maps, Beyond411, Splashid, 2GB micro-SD

I try installing all programs but today plugins to the card. Add movies, as many songs as you can fit, MS Reader books, backup themes and ringtones, sprite backup files, and your 1 GB is gone! Gotta go get a 2GB card...
    Jeremiah 29:11

Sickwidit
    I install all my programs to internal memory and leave my sd card for big files like movies, gps map data and such.
    Eric Hicks, Microsoft MVP, Mobile-Devices
    My Devices
    Four PPC6600's, One PPC6700, Three PPC6800's,One Treo 700w,One Jas Jar,One Pantec Duo,One T-mobile Dash...Do I have too many devices?

I install all my programs except games to internal memory - my sd cards have games, movies, books, maps, etc. - sheureka
    Do good. Be kind. Have fun.

I'm new to PPC. How do I install to the SDC instead of internal memory?

thanks

Originally posted by mb5451
    I'm new to PPC. How do I install to the SDC instead of internal memory?
    When you go to add/remove programs (tools tab) in activesync make sure the "install program into default . . ." box isn't checked. Then when you check the program, a box will pop up with a drop down for the installation destination. If no box pops up, the program cannot be installed on the card. Obviously the card has to be in the PPC when you're doing the syncing. - sheureka
    Last edited by sheureka; 07-10-2005 at 09:14 AM.
    Do good. Be kind. Have fun.

I install almost everything to my 2GB SD card! When the internal memory starts to get full, the PDA/Phnoe starts acting stupid...
    Ever had "one of those days"? I'm having "one of those LIVES!"
    XV6800, XV6700 AND an XV6600, Plantronics Voyager 855 Stereo BT Headset, Jabra JX-10 Release 2, Aliph Jawbone, Motorola H700, Motorola H850, Jabra BT800, Sony HBH-660, 2 GB SD

If you've already installed to internal memory, do you have to uninstall/reinstall or is there a way to 'move' the install to the card?

How do you auto-install in hard-reset, like I've seen a couple of people are doing?

thanks

What is the 14.5 MB called 'storage' for? I can write to it, but it appears to be in the ROM, not the RAM. What do folks typically store over there? Is this where the .cab files go that I've seen mentioned (auto install on hard reset)?

I put betaplayer, sprite, sk tools in there. Nice to have some space for programs that survive hard resets...
    Jeremiah 29:11

you just install them there, instead of the 'default' location?

Yep.

I've done this, but thru a couple of hard resets, I find that while the 'storage' still has the files, the programs aren't really 'installed' anymore. I've just deleted them and reinstalled from my installation files over on my laptop, via Activesync, which means these programs aren't really any more persistent than the other ones I have to re-install. What's the secret to the PPC knowing they are installed after a hard reset?

The same question would apply to programs I installed to my SDIO 1GB card.

thanks

What is a 1GB SDIO card???

A program that is "installed" onto an SD card or ROM only stores some of the information there. The registry entries still exist in the RAM and typically so do the .dll files. Since the RAM is wiped in a hard reset, the registry entries and any files in RAM are lost so the program must be reinstalled.

I have found that programs that I install onto my SD card don't display their icons correctly. I suspect that it is because the icons are drawn before the removable media mounts. I can manually refresh the icons, but they're gone after a soft reset. Most of the time the program functions normally though (although I do have some that balk at being installed there).

SD Card

Thanks Curt - don't know where that SDIO came from. My 1GB MMS card now only has data on it. I've installed all programs default memory (a couple into 'storage' mmeory) and am storing all data I can on my card.

An SD Card is not just a ROM, its a PROM, or FLASH ROM. (Since we are fixing semantics)

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/flash-memory.htm

The slot is SDIO which means it can take the standard SD memory, as well as other cards that allow input output such as wifi, camera bluetooth etc, hence the IO.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

What is the 14.5 MB called 'storage' for? I can write to it, but it appears to be in the ROM, not the RAM. What do folks typically store over there? Is this where the .cab files go that I've seen mentioned (auto install on hard reset)?
    I would also like to know what this folder is used for. Can anyone point me to a link which explains the folder call “Storage” and what the best use for it.?

Re: SD Card

Thanks Curt - don't know where that SDIO came from. My 1GB MMS card now only has data on it. I've installed all programs default memory (a couple into 'storage' mmeory) and am storing all data I can on my card.
    Damn, I thought maybe someone had come out with a card that had a 1GB storage along with WiFi or GPS that worked with the 660x which is why I was asking.

IvanLasston - if you're fixing semantics, then your definition is incorrect as well. I'd agree SD is flash memory, but not ROM

I think we all knew what he meant.

Originally posted by g.711
    I would also like to know what this folder is used for. Can anyone point me to a link which explains the folder call “Storage” and what the best use for it.?
    It is part of the internal permanent memory that doesn't get wiped during a hard reset. It's part of the 64MB of ROM that's not needed (reserved) for system use, but is available for user use (that's us). It's (best I can tell) really just like space on an SD (or MMS) card, except it's onboard, not in an external card. I have seen no behaviour difference between the 2. The 'storage' is probably a little quicker to get to, though nothing on this device seems to be very slow.

Anyone else have anything better to add?

Our devices are poorly equipped for upgrade to WM2005. If you take a look at the i730, their internal storage area is much larger. This is because WM2005 is designed to store data and programs onto the Non-Volatile memory, so that if you loose battery power you won't loose any data or configuration. (Unlike now)

The second side of it, is WM2005 gives you more battery life out of the box because Windows no longer has to worry about loosing data. Right now Windows shuts off your PPC long before it needs to so that you won't loose data.

Sorry for the depressing news and probably more info than you need on what internal NV Memory is.

Curt Yeah ultimately its not really a ROM at all. Its really Non Volatile Memory. Keep spreading the knowledge, its good for everyone.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2