+ Reply to Thread

New Owner PPC-6600

I've enjoyed this forum and appreciate people's input.

In the next few days I am planning to purchase Sprint's PPC-6600. In this forum I've read a lot about ROM upgrades, software upgrades, patches and etc. Sound like there is a lot that can be done to increase functionality of this phone. But for a first time user...what can I start with now to make the best use of this device? What would be the first, second, third.... step in gradually achivieving the best functionality?

I would really appreciate your help!

Peter

Fully Converged
    well for starters just get used to using programs and stuff. Don't start toying with your device until you get acquainted with it. Start with basic programs, and spend time exploring your device and learning about the different settings and such. Registry changes are fairly easy as long as you backup (Get Sprite. I didnt realize how bad xbackup sucked until I got Sprite). If you decide to get into a ROM upgrade, I'd recommend not doing it if you have any questions at all about updating. Don't install random cab files unless you know what you are doing, either, because it may take a hard reset just to get rid of them. Oh and lastly, don't upgrade just for the sake of upgrading. If your 3500 bluetooth stack works fine, don't mess with it. If you have no real need for WMP10, don't upgrade to it. Oh, and read the faq, and use the search button if you have any questions, and check out Ehud's website listed in his sig and read his faq too
    XV6800, Aliph Jawbone

Hello and welcome to the forums. You must feel like I do. I just bought a new Subaru WRX STI. I've been on the WRX forums tryiing to figure out what to do.

Their best advice:run stock and get used to your new toy. Then think about modding afterwards.

You are right, there are plenty of upgrades and fixes but until you know the problems, how do you know if you fixed it or not?

So, get the phone. Once you find the qwirks with how you use it, then start searching for fixes. If you can't find any, then post your question.

I ran the phone stock for 1 month then I started trying things out. Some things got better some got worse. Lots of backups and resets.

I know you are looking for a cookbook but just like car modding people have different tastes and one guy's setup does not fit all.
    Last edited by IvanLasston; 07-02-2005 at 08:39 PM.

What kind of service do I need from Sprint in order to be able to surf the web and access my hotmail and pop email?

Originally posted by PeterK
    What kind of service do I need from Sprint in order to be able to surf the web and access my hotmail and pop email?
    You just need a regular Vision plan. If you're brand new with Sprint they may try to charge you $30 for Vision. If you're just switching from another phone (provided you have Vision now) you don't need to do anything. - sheureka
    Do good. Be kind. Have fun.